Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Get Lucky" - Track by track  (Read 68619 times)

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
Re: "Get Lucky" - Track by track
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »
I pretty much like all of GL more than I did KTGC, except for Before Gas & TV which is turgid beyond belief. I wish he'd give the straight ahead folk stuff a rest. I'd have thought he'd got that out of his system with KTGC. You Can't Beat the House is a bit too generic and derivative too.

I think the strings add an extra dimension this time, though, and they're very pretty on Monteleone.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
The only song I still have problems with is "The Car Was The One". He really must have a fetish for that whammy bar and guitar pick combination... I don't know why but it really really gets on my nerves. Twang, twang... It fits to the song of course but I wish he'd give it a rest.
As for "Before Gas & TV", there is a point about it being turgid, for me it's first and foremost the outtro which is way too long and repetitive. Same goes for the endings of "So Far From The Clyde" and "Piper To The End". Those are fantastic songs but I miss a little bit more creativity.

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
Yes, those three trad. folk songs are too much on an album of only 11 tracks. He should mix it up a bit and take a few more risks, which he has done to a certain extent with the addition of strings.

As for the whammy bar - yes, it is a bit annoying and another thing I thought he'd got over after KTGC. It's a really dated sound and makes songs sound like they should be on the soundtrack to ITV's Hearbeat.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
Listened to the download twice now. For the first time in over 30 years I am a little bit disappointed. Not an instant song which I go back to immediately. That happened with every CD of MK till now. For me no real surprises, too quiet, too predictable. Some nice songs like Monteleone and Get Lucky. Border Reiver is nice as well, but I think it is too Celtic for me to play it very often. But maybe it will grow on me.

Love Expresso

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »
"Before Gas & TV" is the best track on the album. I deeply hope they do this song live.  In no way I would never call this song "turgid". IMHO of course!!!

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2009, 04:58:22 PM »
Get Lucky would probably be my instant song, but then I've had it in the car for a week now and listened to it lots of times. Cleaning My Gun too.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Listened to the download twice now. For the first time in over 30 years I am a little bit disappointed. Not an instant song which I go back to immediately. That happened with every CD of MK till now. For me no real surprises, too quiet, too predictable. Some nice songs like Monteleone and Get Lucky. Border Reiver is nice as well, but I think it is too Celtic for me to play it very often. But maybe it will grow on me.

I was dissappointed at first and couldn't hear much development from KTGC. Initially it sounded like more KTGC-esque folky and sleepy dirges occasionally broke up by a couple of mid-tempo plodders.

But it soon grew on me to the point that I prefer it to KTGC (those three folk songs I mentioned before aside).

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the list from the mistake they made at the official site.

Every song ended with 1, like Border Reiver 1 , So Far From The Clyde 1.
BUT!!!

Get Lucky ended with 2. So maybe this Get Lucky we are listening to is the acoustic version from the DVD and we will Get a totally different version on the real cd.

Just my thought.
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the list from the mistake they made at the official site.

Every song ended with 1, like Border Reiver 1 , So Far From The Clyde 1.
BUT!!!

Get Lucky ended with 2. So maybe this Get Lucky we are listening to is the acoustic version from the DVD and we will Get a totally different version on the real cd.

Just my thought.

Um, well I've listened to the torrent version and it's exactly the same as the streamed version from mk.com, so I guess highly unlikely.

I would imagine the DVD is probably a solo acoustc performance from MK, like Secondary Waltz at Hay on Sky.

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »

Um, well I've listened to the torrent version and it's exactly the same as the streamed version from mk.com, so I guess highly unlikely.

I would imagine the DVD is probably a solo acoustc performance from MK, like Secondary Waltz at Hay on Sky.

Maybe the torrent version is the same that came from the mk.com site I mean someone has upgrade the bitrate thats easy done? They do sound exactly the same.
Ah well just 4 weeks and we all know.
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
[Maybe the torrent version is the same that came from the mk.com site I mean someone has upgrade the bitrate thats easy done? They do sound exactly the same.
Ah well just 4 weeks and we all know.

Not possible to upgrade the bitrate, once it's lossy it's lossy.

OnlineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Um, I suppose there are no additional performances on the DVD apart from Cleaning My Gun (Band performance at British Grove)
--> http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=558.285
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
Anyway Dan, how did you manage to download teh album anyway, did you get one of your kids to do it for you? ;)

the story goes that Ronnie Biggs,who has now been released from custody in Norwich,knew a few boys from Brazil,....BBB (Best Buddy Biggs) - Norwich, you get me????;D ;D
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »
Um, I suppose there are no additional performances on the DVD apart from Cleaning My Gun (Band performance at British Grove)
--> http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=558.285

I guess we don't know what Get Lucky photo shoot is. We'll just have to wait and see.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
Anyway Dan, how did you manage to download teh album anyway, did you get one of your kids to do it for you? ;)

the story goes that Ronnie Biggs,who has now been released from custody in Norwich,knew a few boys from Brazil,....BBB (Best Buddy Biggs) - Norwich, you get me????;D ;D

If we're talking about you surely BBB means Big Baldy Bastard?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 40 queries.