Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (06) Good on you Son  (Read 113513 times)

OfflineSich74

• Guitar George
Re: Single: Good on you Son
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:05 AM »
Sure sounds like Early Bird... more guitars, more dynamics, more layers, wich is good IMO. Vocals strangely remind me a bit of One World on BIA, just an impression. But I like the song.
You know the man just turned 69. I will cherish and celebrate every single thing I'll get from him from now on.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2018, 02:23:53 AM »
Love it, finaly some beat and dancing lol
it a mix between Early bird and No Can Do.
Great job form Ianto and Glenn and the wizard Guy did the rest
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »
Am I the only one who don't hear any female backing vocals? It seems to me the usual Knopfler-Fletcher armony.
Song still growing, by the way!  :thumbsup

hunter

« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »
I’m listening to the 16/44 FLAC file which is CD quality. I also think it sounds a bit messy, with very little stereo spread. Also Mark's vocals are a bit buried and can be difficult to make out (well done to whoever published the full lyrics!). Although in theory what I purchased should be the same sound quality as what we will eventually hear on the album, I’m wondering if that’s really the case - Mark and Guy usually take a lot of care over sound.

On another matter, the song itself is growing on me with each listen, though it still feels a bit like several different songs - the intro not very connected to the main song, the drum break in the middle which is very unKnopflerish. The funky beat drives the whole thing along pretty effectively though.

I have only listened to it through (good quality) headphones, and I think the stereo spread is wide. They have panned the synths and organ to the far left and right. The kick drum sounds big and fat, and the use of bright percussive instruments (triangle etc.) should mean the soundstage should be tall as well.

Interesting to note Mark's vocals during the middle part, the slapback effect fades in and out, making Mark move from the back to the front. Guy has clearly had a lot of fun with this track.

As someone said, it's not a masterpiece, but it's very listenable, and I'm sure it will get a lot of radioplay.

hunter

« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2018, 07:24:00 AM »
Am I the only one who don't hear any female backing vocals? It seems to me the usual Knopfler-Fletcher armony.

It's subtle. Listen around 3:19-20. On closer listen, though, it may just as well be male backing vocals, but it's not Mark or Guy.

Love Expresso

« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
The opposite of Heart of Oak in many ways: No depth at all, wether lyrically nor musically, overloaded but boring, too long, dull and uninspired, only disguised and covered with many funky gimmick stuff. Sax does not fit at all and turns out to be the major misconception in MK's recent work in general. A poor copy of Early Bird which was much more original and better. Probably pasted together on one afternoon. This obvious lack of inspiration makes me not exactly looking forward to the album with a lot of exitement. A cold shower after all this waiting. 3/10

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:05 AM »
I really expected something different, specially since this new record was recorded in parallel to the musical, in the free spots of time of that project and the fact that some of the songs were already registered in iswc means they rescue some unreleased stuff and gave them a new life...

I like a lot this single, specially the arrangements, very funky.

But the rest of the record could be more similar to what MK uses to do these days, let's wait.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »

It's subtle. Listen around 3:19-20. On closer listen, though, it may just as well be male backing vocals, but it's not Mark or Guy.
Just before the sax starts

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
The opposite of Heart of Oak in many ways: No depth at all, wether lyrically nor musically, overloaded but boring, too long, dull and uninspired, only disguised and covered with many funky gimmick stuff. Sax does not fit at all and turns out to be the major misconception in MK's recent work in general. A poor copy of Early Bird which was much more original and better. Probably pasted together on one afternoon. This obvious lack of inspiration makes me not exactly looking forward to the album with a lot of exitement. A cold shower after all this waiting. 3/10

LE
Lol, you must be fun at parties. Just kidding, everyone has the right to their opinion.

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »

LE
Lol, you must be fun at parties. Just kidding, everyone has the right to their opinion.

Me personally, I really get much more fun out of Heart Of Oak rather than out of this single or Beryl rockers.
People call me nerd, but I'm absolutely fine with it. And this song... Thanks LE for printing out my thoughts.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
I’m listening to the 16/44 FLAC file which is CD quality. I also think it sounds a bit messy, with very little stereo spread. Also Mark's vocals are a bit buried and can be difficult to make out (well done to whoever published the full lyrics!). Although in theory what I purchased should be the same sound quality as what we will eventually hear on the album, I’m wondering if that’s really the case - Mark and Guy usually take a lot of care over sound.

On another matter, the song itself is growing on me with each listen, though it still feels a bit like several different songs - the intro not very connected to the main song, the drum break in the middle which is very unKnopflerish. The funky beat drives the whole thing along pretty effectively though.

They are clearly tryin' to do something new. I give them ALOT of credit for that. 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
I have now listened to the song numerous times and with every listen I hear snippets from other MK songs - Early Bird, Broken Bones, Don't You Get It, Going Home and now I hear a bit from We Can Get Wild!  It's becoming "spot the song"!  I am still enjoying listening, but I feel that when the album comes out this may become my least favourite - we will see!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »

They are clearly tryin' to do something new. I give them ALOT of credit for that.

Fully agree.  :thumbsup

But there's almost a full record left.

For all we know this might even be a bonus track.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
A poor copy of Early Bird which was much more original and better.
A good think in Early Bird I: it was shorter (only 2"40 versus 5"37 for the second season)
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

hunter

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

Ditto.

Tracker is very mellow, so something more upbeat, and even 'radio friendly', this time is welcome change. I'm not against folk-based music at all, but in Mark's case, the folk idiom has been overused, in my opinion.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 47 queries.