Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (06) Good on you Son  (Read 113488 times)

hunter

Re: Single: Good on you Son
« Reply #360 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
I do think there’s a slightly 'phasey' processing on his voice which I don’t find entirely natural.

I'm not crazy about that effect either. Also that 'accentuation of certain frequencies to get that telephone voice' thing. Could live without it.

OfflineRomanbern

• Guitar George
« Reply #361 on: September 21, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
With all these opinions of yours in mind - crappy sax, chessy synth etc. - I listened with no great expectations, but: Mr. Knopfler shows with this track, that he is still alive and kicking. What a fresh sounding song and what a good, well-sorted production - a good, even perhaps great Pop song. After the mostly dull Singles of the last Albums - True Love, Border Reiver, Redbud tree and Beryl - this is really a vital sign.
However, I don't think, we will hear this song llive.       

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #362 on: September 21, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
With all these opinions of yours in mind - crappy sax, chessy synth etc. - I listened with no great expectations, but: Mr. Knopfler shows with this track, that he is still alive and kicking. What a fresh sounding song and what a good, well-sorted production - a good, even perhaps great Pop song. After the mostly dull Singles of the last Albums - True Love, Border Reiver, Redbud tree and Beryl - this is really a vital sign.

BR is far from dull. It's one of the fastest songs he's made.

I can only assume you never heard it live as the opener. Maybe the best opener ever.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #363 on: September 21, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »

I can only assume you never heard it live as the opener. Maybe the best opener ever.
Agree!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

hunter

« Reply #364 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »

I never heard it live, but when I heard the single, I was very excited. Unfortunately, the rest of Get Lucky didn't match my expectations. Same with Beryl and Tracker also.

Offlinerockaway

• Local Hero
« Reply #365 on: September 21, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »

I've never heard it live but I agree, wouldn't consider it dull by any means

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #366 on: September 21, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »

I never heard it live, but when I heard the single, I was very excited. Unfortunately, the rest of Get Lucky didn't match my expectations. Same with Beryl and Tracker also.

Yes, Beryl is not a good song however you look at it.  This is a definite improvement.  Massive IMHO.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #367 on: September 21, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
I remember Get Lucky being the first song we heard from that album? Don't know about official "single" though.

Much prefer Beryl to Good on You Son, opinions opinions. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #368 on: September 21, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »
I remember Get Lucky being the first song we heard from that album? Don't know about official "single" though.

Yes, Get Lucky was the first song we heard in MK.com site, not sure if it was "a single"...

Beryl has that DS sound, but I find that the lyrics are a little bit silly specially when it's supposed he's trying to do a homage to Beryl, but looks a little childish to me.

Good on you son, for me is so surprising that wins the best single prize since "Boom like that".
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #369 on: September 21, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »

Yes, Get Lucky was the first song we heard in MK.com site, not sure if it was "a single"...

Beryl has that DS sound, but I find that the lyrics are a little bit silly specially when it's supposed he's trying to do a homage to Beryl, but looks a little childish to me.

Good on you son, for me is so surprising that wins the best single prize since "Boom like that".

I just don't find it surprising because it's almost identical to Early Bird? Somebody with half decent pro-tools skills could do a "mash-up" of the tracks I'm sure, they are virtually interchangeable.

And I think Early Bird is much better. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #370 on: September 21, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
Well, it has similarities with early bird but also big differences, like the percussion break, the jazzy sax solo, some funkie flavour...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #371 on: September 21, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »
Redbud Tree was not a single. We could hear it before the release of Privateering, and it was presented as a "focus song" . Beautiful guitar solo in this song.
Good on You Son reminds me 2 songs : Early Bird in the rhythm, the tempo and We Can Get Wild in the way Mark sings. I like it better now a few days after the first listen : funky song, good duet between MK's guitar and Nigel's sax. Even Guy's noises (I first thought they ruined the song like Coyote or El Macho) work well with the song's dynamics. I think it will be even better played live if Mark and Nigel have fun on stage !
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:43:21 PM by El Macho »
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2018, 12:05:22 AM »

I love Border Reiver and I agree it's the best opener ever. Just love the flute and then Mark waving to the crowd after the drums kick in!

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2018, 12:25:11 AM »
I listened the new song several times, and I don't like it.
I've got the sensation that the lead guitar is composed by parts of already heard guitar licks. And there is at least one guitar note out of time ! How is it possible on a Mark Knopfler record ?
The melody is boring.
Mark has certainly one of the best recording studio with British Grove, so how can he produce a song with all these awful synth sounds ?
The only good point is the saxophone.
Please Mark, hire a true producer if you make another record after this one.
It's the kind of songs that was only good enough to be a bonus track on a single (like Millionaire Blues), and now it's used as the promo song of the forthcoming record... :hmm

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #374 on: September 22, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »
I do not understand. If Mark had an idea for this song, another producer will not change the song. And the sound of "Good On You Son" is very good:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.