Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 23:2013.05.27, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 26531 times)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
The Financial Times review is not too bad! I like the sentence

the solo that rippled through

Love Expresso

It seems Boris Becker has been at the Hall, too. He (or his wife) tweeted about going to Dire Straights.... oh dear...

but searching a bit, I found a post from Ed Raposo (from Rio de Janeiro) who used to post here a few times but never did since last year, that the song
"Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is about the sinking of the russian Submarine Kursk... Never was aware of that? I googled and found out that it sank
on August 12th 2000, Mark's birthday... So do anyone know something about this? Would be nice to have some more info because I can better relate to Mark's songs when i have a clue what was the inspiration for them...  :wave

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
It seems Boris Becker has been at the Hall, too. He (or his wife) tweeted about going to Dire Straights.... oh dear...

but searching a bit, I found a post from Ed Raposo (from Rio de Janeiro) who used to post here a few times but never did since last year, that the song
"Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is about the sinking of the russian Submarine Kursk... Never was aware of that? I googled and found out that it sank
on August 12th 2000, Mark's birthday... So do anyone know something about this? Would be nice to have some more info because I can better relate to Mark's songs when i have a clue what was the inspiration for them...  :wave

LE

He was in London for the Champions League final being a Bayern Munich fan.  He was interviewed on TV prior to the match.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.

LE
When I first heard "Dream of the Drowned Submariner", I thought of the Kursk.  I remember when it occurred; it was a horrible tragedy, as details emerged indicating that there were several submariners who survived, possibly for hours, or for days.  The Russian government initailly turned down help, compounding the devastation. 

Very interesting to hear this occurred on Mark's birthday.  I imagine that would have made a huge impact on him, similar to my friends with a September 11 birthday.

On another note... glad that Boris and his wife got to see "Dire Straights"... ::)
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Hi, dmg!  :D

I think it was because of the very relaxed and very well scheduled meeting at such a nice place as the Stanhope Arms that the general mood of the fans
was so relaxed and friendly. In the past, when rushing to some o2 Arena or other big venue, there is seldomly enough time to meet and greet and drink and laugh for so many fans before the concert. In front of the stage there is a gathering, yes, but I really think this (I think you already can call it traditional) meeting point is really great!
Walking to the venue together (more or less  ;D ) is another important ingredient, too. I really enjoyed it. Btw Costa Coffee is not that bad, although I revised my plans to change my nickname into Love Costa...

LE

lol
Well, it could be worse;  it could be Love Starbucks!

Remember, as far as my nickname goes you are one of the select few who knows what the "m" stands for in "dmg!"

I think you're right - a nice pub with no loud music where people can talk to one another is just ideal. :thumbsup

I am also one of the select few who Know what 'M' stands for!! ;)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

[/quote]

And how privileged you are! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

And how privileged you are! ;)
[/quote]

Oh Yes!! ;D

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineJana

• Camerado
.. that the song
"Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is about the sinking of the russian Submarine Kursk...

I can not describe in detail why but I do assoziate "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" with Kursk too. At that time I was listening to the news all the days in the hope that the submariners will be rescued. But the miracle did not happen. They were all dead after few days under the water.
Sad and painful story just such as a song of MK. Lyrics and music are so emotional for me that i can't listen it without tears
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:34:47 PM by Jana »
...yes I need a little water of love...

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
.. that the song
"Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is about the sinking of the russian Submarine Kursk...

I can not describe in detail why but I do assoziate "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" with Kursk too. At that time I was listening to the news all the days in the hope that the submariners will be rescued. But the miracle did not happen. They were all dead after few days under the water.
Sad and painful story just such as a song of MK. Lyrics and music are so emotional for me that i can't listen it without tears

I also thought that song was about it. Actually for me its like the last thoughts of one of the submariners before he dies.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
I wish it was played live...

As it's not: why discuss it within the setlist thread of the last London show?
Just a thought
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Would love to hear 'DOTDS' Live too!!! I reckon it would be a 'tear-jerker' just like the album version! I love playing this tune on the MK Strat.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 40 queries.