Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 28:2013.06.01, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 27615 times)

OfflineSolid Rock

• Camerado
  • Get lucky, down the road wherver.
Thans Pottel for live setlist!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
thnx to binone.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Fantastic show!!!! Was standing so close in the end!

Who was the French amit fan who talked to me outside? Pm me :wave
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Sfa, shangri la and going home. No surprises.

Well, three encores instead of the two we had earlier in the tour.  Usually the concerts become shorter! :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTally

• Camerado
I'm surprised that Gator Blood is not played, it sounded pretty good earlier. Perhapts it'll be back when they don't do the extra Ruth songs.

OfflineOld Pigweed

• Guitar George
Another excellent show.  Having previously attended Monday's this was the same setlist with SFA added to the encores.  It was a shame not to hear any other songs although I really like this set list and was very happy Sultans was played if only for the atmosphere in the Hall - a loooong standing ovation for this one.  Mark was quite chatty once again and encouraged people to shout out requests, although he obviously was not going to play them !  I do wonder about some of the fans though, the oldish couple next to me weren't there for Ruth and then the woman fell asleep (through Speedway!) and you could hear her snoring during the quieter parts!  Running of the bulls started slightly early and from my position in F6 on the right (the row with no seats in front as its near the arena entrance) I was jostled by people who I am sure had run the length of the arena, the speed they were going.  However a front of stage position was obtained right in front of Richard and rewarded with a handshake from MK after the encores  ;D.   
Sad that it's now over until the next tour for me but memories of two great nights !     
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:17:36 PM by Old Pigweed »

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
Thx! That's it... Next tour I'm traveling to London to see Mark live in the Royal Albert Hall :P. Would be really cool I think! :)
MK Down the Road Wherever tour :
22.05.2019 Royal Albert Hall London, UK
22.06.2019 Sportpaleis Antwerpen, Belgium
23.06.2019 Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Netherlands
03.07.2019 St. Peter at Sunset Kelzenholz, Switzerland

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
had amazing time at this gig definatley my favorite of the tour so far, an the atmopshere was so good too, maybe he's guitar were a smidege too loud and jims piano but was superb:)), now gota wait to the end of july for next one now!!
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineKay Edvin

• Camerado
  • MK - my hero!
    • MK Norge (Norwegian MK Fanclub)
I was at this show together with Jarle!

MINDBLOWING show!!!! He was excellent!! The sound was fantastic and MK was in superb form!
I was totally blown away!! The best MK concert I have ever been to!

Still buzzling!!!  8)
"The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears"

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
I'm home now after a nice weekend in London !
Only 1h30 with the Eurostar train from Lille.
My wife and I arrived friday evening at St Pancras and took the tube to High Street Kensington and then put our luggage at the Copthorne Tara Hotel.
A little walk around, a little big beer at a tavern (a pint is the normal quantity in the UK whereas in France, it's a half pint !) and then return to the hotel.
On saturday, we spent the day walking in London (Notting Hill, Portobello Road, Hyde Park, Oxford Street, New Bond Street, Regent Street, Picadilly Circus, The Mall, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, London Eye...) A 15 km walk until we arrived at the RAH. We thought we could eat some fish & chips around but around the RAH, there's nothing that looks like a restaurant or a pub ! So we went to the RAH bar and ate an overpriced sandwich...
The show was fantastic with Ruth Moody as the opening part.
MK was in a real good mood and his guitar skills were present for the gig !
Speedway and TR were the highlights and my wife loved R&J, her favourite MK song
Ruth Moody had a very small role as her voice was really so low. They could have sung a duet like This is us or If this is goodbye.
The same opinion concerning Nigel Hitchcock, underused, but a really nice addition in R&J and I used to could.
When the show ended and we saw the Range Rovers and we decided to wait for MK and the band. We only saw Ian Thomas !
Dutchessy, I'm the amit member who talked to you!
I also met Elian , aka Poupystar ! He told me Mark went out of the RAH by another door ... but he saw John Illsley !
We took the bus to our hotel and had a good night !
Sunday, we went to Shaftsbury Avenue, Chinatown, Soho, Buckingham Palace (but there was a big crowd due to the Queen Jubilee)...
We managed to eat our Fish & chips and it was time to go away!
It was a very good weeknd.
Next show : Paris !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Thanks for that El Macho.  Good that you had a nice time in London.  I always seem to be in such a rush every time I go as I only ever go to see MK concerts!  This time, the only full day for me (not travelling day) was the 28th and it was heavy rain all day!  As long as you managed to find some good fish and chips though and enjoyed the show! :thumbsup
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBarzofarhyme

• Camerado
Back at work today  :( Just eating my lunch and remembering what an absolutely fantastic weekend we had. Capped by probably the best MK concert i can ever remember in,without doubt,the best venue by a country mile i've ever been in. i heard all the stories from different people,including Guy Fletcher, about how good it is to play the Albert Hall. Now i can confirm with my own eyes and ears how true that is. So glad i did. So many highlights but the thing that stood out the most was just how much Mark and all the band were enjoying themselves on stage. Like a bunch of mates having a good time who also just all happened to be brilliant musicians in there own right. If i had to pick out a single highlight {and trust me that's pretty difficult as the whole concert was one massive highlight} i'd have to say it was Sultans. Far and away the best i've seen and heard it played in a long looooooonnnnngg time.The solos were outstanding and played the way he always used to play them....quickly and long. ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup. I'm not normally prone to bouts of religion but i pray someone somewhere had it recorded to share with everyone how good it was.

The addition of Nigel Hitchcock on sax on R&J and Going Home in particular was a welcome bonus as well. But the outstanding quality musicianship of every single member of the band made it a musical experience i'll never forget. :) :)
All i do is kiss you, through the bars of a rhyme

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Hey Old Pigweed, glad you had another great time with MK and band. Whats this about someone falling asleep during Speedway?? Ruddy cheek!! Obviously there just to make the numbers up!! Anyway just had to say Hi and will nowa just slip back into the pool
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
A few comments from someone less smitten:

1) On the louder songs, MK's vocals were a bit low in the mix, I thought, and were not clear. On the quieter songs, they were perfect.

2) There were clearly more non-Brits at these weekend shows. On the 1 June, the "London town" reference in "Sultans" got barely any response, whereas, earlier in the week, it got a great roar.

3) Similarly, there was continental-style cheering after one song (again, not heard earlier in the week).

4) And, while I'm on the topic, the "bull run" was much less "gentlemanly" on the Friday and the Saturday at the RAH. Friday, we got a "BFS" trampling over me and my bags ("BFS" = Big Fat Slob). Saturday, two women [separately !!!] commented about how badly they were treated by the male fans down the front - and both said that the males concerned seemed to come from southern Europe, probably Italy. I should add that I met quite a few people during the tour, from all over the place including Europe, and found them to be pleasant, courteous and, aware that their great feeling for MK's music was not universally accepted, showing not only great camaraderie amongst themselves but also understanding for those who were just tagging along.

5) Further to a previous posting, Nigel Hitchcock did start to "step out" a bit in the later shows and I was pleased to hear it. There is scope there for a really honking solo or two [if he's at later shows - I have no idea but you guys will know]

6) The musicianship on "Marbletown" is just stunning - John McCusker is amazingly good.

7) For me, "Postcards from Paraguay" has really come into its own.  Liked it every night - great rhythm, liked the way the instruments came in one-by-one [more or less] and the wry humour in the song came across.

8 ) Is it my imagination or are the set lists, after all the variety at the start of the tour, beginning to get into a bit of a rut again? If so, I hope this week's break will cause a bit of a re-think (and a bit of re-jigging)

9) Did I miss something but I didn't notice a charity for the final RAH show? If so, why not? There are a lot of deserving charities around? The young Teenage Cancer Trust guy was a terrific advert for that charity. By way of contrast, the "elephant" guy earlier in the week didn't really make out his case at all, in my view.

10) "R&J" was great; "Speedway" was improved by its relative brevity these days (too much "sound and fury" and to too little effect before); "Telegraph Road" is saved by an interesting "plot" in its lyrics and some memorable lines.

11) Yes, I did enjoy the shows, even though they can be somewhat "same-y" over several nights but, then, I'm a bit of a sucker for the Celtic/folkie/Americana influences and strands and much prefer that sound and "feel" to the "DS-onslaught" approach. [Sorry, folks, I know you disagree but I call it as I find it]

12) And we are now trying now to fit in an extra show towards the end of the tour.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:47:24 PM by twm »

OfflineOld Pigweed

• Guitar George
Hey Old Pigweed, glad you had another great time with MK and band. Whats this about someone falling asleep during Speedway?? Ruddy cheek!! Obviously there just to make the numbers up!! Anyway just had to say Hi and will nowa just slip back into the pool
Cheers KF.
She nodded off during Marbletown, initially I thought she had just closed her eyes to listen but it became apparent she was asleep.  When she start to snore I felt like giving her a slap and telling her to wake up or get out!  She must have bought fan club tickets though to be sitting so close. 
Went with a mate this time as Mrs OP initially said she only wanted to go to one show - a decision she really regretted after Monday and the new Pigweeds are sadly into One Direction and Taylor Swift.
Anyway it was his first MK concert and thought it was great.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 35 queries.