Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The NEW SONGS live 2011 #SPOILER AHEAD# (bring your information pls)  (Read 66971 times)

Love Expresso

Re: The NEW SONGS live 2011 #SPOILER AHEAD# (bring your information pls)
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:42 AM »
Yeah, I am waiting eagerly, too, because I really loooove Privateering. I just wanted to say that the complete translation you did so fast is really great
and helped me a lot to understand what the songs are about. There are only these two little details I think I would change! Hoping also for MORE new songs to hear AND translate! It is always a big joy having new lyrics of MK, they are so intelligent, varied and subtle, it's great fun!

LE

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2011, 05:53:43 AM »
Not sure some of these songs will make the final cut in terms of the next CD. Think about it. Millionaire Blues, Kingdom Come, Early Bird - all nice little ditties to tap the feet to but not strong enough to make a final CD. For me, the same with Corned Beef City. Privateering and Haul Away - yes, for certain as these songs show Mark at his best. Corned Beef City - nice, but good enough for the final CD version - doubt it! But hey, who knows. Hope it is!

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
Not sure some of these songs will make the final cut in terms of the next CD. Think about it. Millionaire Blues, Kingdom Come, Early Bird - all nice little ditties to tap the feet to but not strong enough to make a final CD. For me, the same with Corned Beef City. Privateering and Haul Away - yes, for certain as these songs show Mark at his best. Corned Beef City - nice, but good enough for the final CD version - doubt it! But hey, who knows. Hope it is!
No, hope those new songs will do it for the future alblum, so we will have more new stuff on it!
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »

In my view, Mark has often left some of the best material aside. Dissing Millionaire Blues but keeping My Parties? Keeping Summer of Love from a record where it would have fitted perfectly both sound- and lyricwise?

But I'm also afraid that Corned Beef City will be left out. Haven't heard the song, but it wouldn't surprise me, much like Pyroman, Summer of Love, Gravy Train, etc... Too simple rock? A real shame.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
welcome neville sherman!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
welcome Neville Sherman.

Very few songs performed live by Mark did not end on records or even on the album :

I won't count early DS stuff.

- Twisting By The Pool : EP
- ITILYTM  : Knebworth album
- Long Highway : CD single (nearly 10 years after being first performed live)
- Gravy Train : CD single
- Pyroman : only unreleased one.

So I guess that most of these newbies will at least end as digital bonus track if not kept for the main album.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
As the new album will be named "Privateering" (I decided so  :lol) it would be strange if the title song wouldn't be onto it. Haul Away is a perfect album closer. About Corned Beef City I share most  of your opinions - it is a little to simple song, the theme of Corned Beef City would have deserved a little bit  more elaborated lyrics maybe (but who am I) and a solo from MK would also have been great.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
But, LE, you told us the new album was GEORDIELAND!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Caught!  ::)

LE

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
In my view, Mark has often left some of the best material aside. Dissing Millionaire Blues but keeping My Parties? Keeping Summer of Love from a record where it would have fitted perfectly both sound- and lyricwise?

Yeah, great tracks have left off. But I think that My Parties is a little gem, brilliant lyrics. Millionaire blues is lyrically great, but maybe not that great musically.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
Corned Beef City

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/Corned%20Beef%20City

Corned beef city is British slang for a large council housing estate, especially Dagenham.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070301074330AArzvQt

In the 1930s, Dagenham became an overspill area for the inhabitants of east London. It received the nickname ' corned beef city' because that was all the people could afford to eat.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
Privateering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer

A privateer is a private person or ship authorized by a government by letters of marque to attack foreign shipping during wartime. Privateering was a way of mobilizing armed ships and sailors without having to spend public money or commit naval officers. They were of great benefit to a smaller naval power or one facing an enemy dependent on trade: they disrupted commerce and pressured the enemy to deploy warships to protect merchant trade against commerce raiders. The cost was borne by investors hoping to profit from prize money earned from captured cargo and vessels. The proceeds would be distributed among the privateer's investors, officers and crew. It has been argued that privateering was a less destructive and wasteful form of warfare, because the goal was to capture ships rather than to sink them.[1]

Privateers were part of naval warfare from the 16th to the 19th century. Some privateers have been particularly influential in the annals of history. Sometimes, the vessels would be commissioned into regular service as warships. The crew of a privateer might be treated as prisoners of war by the enemy country if captured.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
Could Haul Away be about a burial at sea?

My take would be for the first lines:

Was a windless night
when you left the ship
you never were
a steady bore
I gave my hand
... your  descent
I'm a living man
you're ...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
I think Corned Beef City is a kind of follow up to Border Reiver.  About a trucker wanting work, bills to pay, cash in hand.  Good imagery about old fashioned British trucker stops - kind of makes me think he's going to bring out a Yorkie bar! :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
Not sure. I thought it was more about a man who needs cash (christmas is coming) and "don't ask questions" to do every job he is offered - and this job
is to unload some trucks without knowing what exactly it is or if it all is legal or not?

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 49 queries.