Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Anyone of here knows or talked with MK personally?  (Read 6283 times)

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
Anyone of here knows or talked with MK personally?
« on: November 13, 2019, 01:50:25 AM »
Right, my dream is know Mark personally, im from Argentina and if in any moment go to Europe (i dont know where lives Mark actually?).
If i can talk with him, sure talk about gear and that things.
Sorry for my bad english and cheers from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Anyone of here knows or talked with MK personally?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
Right, my dream is know Mark personally, im from Argentina and if in any moment go to Europe (i dont know where lives Mark actually?).

I think as with Mark's attitude towards fame, the question would be "to know MK personally for what"? Just to say general things about how I love his music? As if he really cares.

For most of us, we don't have stories like this guy who got out of suicide thoughts by listening to Mark's music, so I'm afraid there's no real reason to "know" the man.

It makes more sense if you want to record songs with MK, do some real work in the studio that he own, than just finding ways to know somebody who doesn't care.

And the funny thing is that sometimes fans know more about artist's work than the artist himself, you can often hear them say "I don't know, ask fans for that", so I'm afraid MK is also not the man to talk about gear as well.

So bottom line is, I can't see a single reason to approach MK including photos, signatures and what not. I have a very pleasant habit of when I see famous person I admire, I never approach this person and pretend that I don't care.

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »

I think as with Mark's attitude towards fame, the question would be "to know MK personally for what"? Just to say general things about how I love his music? As if he really cares.

For most of us, we don't have stories like this guy who got out of suicide thoughts by listening to Mark's music, so I'm afraid there's no real reason to "know" the man.

It makes more sense if you want to record songs with MK, do some real work in the studio that he own, than just finding ways to know somebody who doesn't care.

And the funny thing is that sometimes fans know more about artist's work than the artist himself, you can often hear them say "I don't know, ask fans for that", so I'm afraid MK is also not the man to talk about gear as well.

So bottom line is, I can't see a single reason to approach MK including photos, signatures and what not. I have a very pleasant habit of when I see famous person I admire, I never approach this person and pretend that I don't care.
I fully understand your point of view , but ,being a guitar enthusiast, I would love to have a discussion with Mark on this subject .... not to ask him if for sultans he has or not used a compressor or how was the microphone placed in front of the amp when recording MFN .... I would just enjoy having a discussion between two guitar players passionate about the instrument ....
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:29 AM »

I fully understand your point of view , but ,being a guitar enthusiast, I would love to have a discussion with Mark on this subject .... not to ask him if for sultans he has or not used a compressor or how was the microphone placed in front of the amp when recording MFN .... I would just enjoy having a discussion between two guitar players passionate about the instrument ....

That's always nice! Can't say I don't want to meet MK, obviously I want, but can't find a decent cause for it to happen. Also, you talk about asking MK about something, but I don't think it's possible.

Imagine you're dreaming about some really, really high end or legendary car, maybe McLaren F1 or something, and you get a 5 minute chance of "meeting" it. It's going to be awkward! :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
I have a friendship relations, through a friend of mine, with two very good musicians that are very famous between the Spanish artists and when they play with them, my friend and I are invited to backstage.

It's kind of embarrassing when you have the chance to talk with the big artist being in backstage because, anything you can say to him is something that any other fan will tell him so it's always quite silly to me. In the end is just a "Hi, very good show", take a picture, and keep talking with our friends.

I had some experiences where I was side by side with MK, and I didn't try to talk with him at all. I have nothing to say to him that any other fan will tell him so to me is pointless to bother him with it. I had my chance to have a picture with him 19 years ago, and that's all I need.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Well if I could race at historic events such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed and meet Mark I would probably speak with him about cars or paints and pretend he is not a music superstar. And would only discuss guitar or whatever music subject if he do first.

Unfortunately I just own an every day car...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
Well if I could race at historic events such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed and meet Mark I would probably speak with him about cars or paints and pretend he is not a music superstar. And would only discuss guitar or whatever music subject if he do first.

Unfortunately I just own an every day car...

My dad once met a pretty famous musician in my hometown, in a local store, and decided to discuss food with him a little without disclosing any signs of knowing who he is. Just two meat fans discussing meat! They had a pretty nice conversation and the super famous guy got away in his super car. From all the possible results this one seems to me like the best one. Because you kill so many birds with one stone... You talk with the guy, not disturbing him too much, have fun, not killing the chance. A win-win situation.

hunter

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »

Remember there are thousands of fans who'd love to do the same. Unless you're a person in Mark's circle of friends and colleagues, that's not going to happen.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »
Having met 'The master' I was far too nervous to say too much to him but after 'the ice was broken' we did indeed have a chat albeit briefly. Nothing serious but more of a thank you to him for all he had done musically...I thanked him of course for signing my Fender items to which he replied with a smile 'All the best' and shook my hand!

I'm sure those on here who have also met & chatted to MK agree that when the time did arrive you kind of 'froze' with excitement!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:41:58 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 01:20:37 AM »
Imaginary world but I reckon he’d be great to chat and have a beer with ... providing it was a completely neutral relationship. No recognition of his fame or who he is, probably just prop up the bar at the East End Arms for half an hour either with a map looking at walks or maybe the weather. All very British! Reckon if you tried to talk ‘shop’ he’d soon switch off. The humble British pub is an amazing meeting place where it doesn’t matter if you have rags or riches, for that time you’re all equal (well if you find the right pub that is!)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 08:34:22 AM »
Having met 'The master' I was far too nervous to say too much to him but after 'the ice was broken' we did indeed have a chat albeit briefly. Nothing serious but more of a thank you to him for all he had done musically...I thanked him of course for signing my Fender items to which he replied with a smile 'All the best' and shook my hand!

I'm sure those on here who have also met & chatted to MK agree that when the time did arrive you kind of 'froze' with excitement!!!

Yes, I know what do you mean with froze... I met him in 2000 when he was doing an interview in Madrid radio the same day STP was released, we were a small group of fans. I was so excited by having him next to me that MK talked to me and I was totally frozen and didn't hear him... A friend of mine asked MK to sign him in his BIA t-shirt and MK look at me and asked me to pull the t-shirt for a good sign and I was so like "oh my God he's talking to me" that he had to repeat me twice to pull the t-shirt until I reacted!

The best surprise was when a friend of mine sent me a picture of that moments, that I didn't know was taken, so I was so happy to have my picture with MK! The picture was some second before the t-shirt affair, MK is signing the STP booklet to another friend of mine... https://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/project/julio-bricio-spain/

After that, I was so next to MK in some other occasions but as I already have my picture, I never tried to bother him again. Actually, during the Chalk Valley History festival, MK and his family were seated in the table next to mine!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:37:17 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »

Yes, I know what do you mean with froze... I met him in 2000 when he was doing an interview in Madrid radio the same day STP was released, we were a small group of fans. I was so excited by having him next to me that MK talked to me and I was totally frozen and didn't hear him... A friend of mine asked MK to sign him in his BIA t-shirt and MK look at me and asked me to pull the t-shirt for a good sign and I was so like "oh my God he's talking to me" that he had to repeat me twice to pull the t-shirt until I reacted!

The best surprise was when a friend of mine sent me a picture of that moments, that I didn't know was taken, so I was so happy to have my picture with MK! The picture was some second before the t-shirt affair, MK is signing the STP booklet to another friend of mine... https://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/project/julio-bricio-spain/

After that, I was so next to MK in some other occasions but as I already have my picture, I never tried to bother him again. Actually, during the Chalk Valley History festival, MK and his family were seated in the table next to mine!

Haha, cool story! It's funny how for MK it's just another day and another crazy fan, but for fans it's like the best day in their life. But if you think of it, Mark himself have a lot of people he would froze in front of!

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »
I went to the opening day screening of The Princess Bride in Westwood, California - and Rob Reiner, the director, was in the lobby waiting around to see the reaction.  I ran up to him and instead of talking about the movie and how much everyone loved it, this is what happened:

HEY, WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING WITH MARK KNOPFLER??
Um, it was good.
That's AWESOME!

And I got about 10 steps towards the exit when I thought to turn around and say:

OH YEAH, THANKS FOR MAKING THE MOVIE!

So sometimes it's better to just smile and nod and be normal.  :smack

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
I went to the opening day screening of The Princess Bride in Westwood, California - and Rob Reiner, the director, was in the lobby waiting around to see the reaction.  I ran up to him and instead of talking about the movie and how much everyone loved it, this is what happened:

Um, it was good.
That's AWESOME!

And I got about 10 steps towards the exit when I thought to turn around and say:

Haha, like me waiting for him and EmmyLou Harris when they did promo for the album. Met Emmy briefly at the hotel, she came before the others. It was like "hi! I am waiting for Mark Knopfler, but since you are here...can I get your autograph?"  :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »

Um, it was good.
That's AWESOME!

Haha, like me waiting for him and EmmyLou Harris when they did promo for the album. Met Emmy briefly at the hotel, she came before the others. It was like "hi! I am waiting for Mark Knopfler, but since you are here...can I get your autograph?"  :lol

Lol this is too funny! If I were her, though, I would scribe "Mark Knopfler" as it was his signature, like — is this what you wanted? I'd be pissed :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 41 queries.