Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits...  (Read 2368 times)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
Dire Straits...
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
Been wondering a couple of days about Dire Straits. Asked Guy on his forum but he seems to be an a holiday.. 😜

What is going on with Dire Straits? I know it's all up to Mark(?), but isn't there  any record company here with a saying? No official website.. No official Facebook group.. We had the re-release of Alchemy a couple of years ago, but nothing else? From being such a big marketing name, to become almost "forgotten"..

They play Money For Nothing, Sultans and Lady Writer on the radio here in Norway almost every day.

I'm not expecting a new album or tour of course.. But do you guys get what I'm wondering about? 😜

Tobben

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
Re: Dire Straits...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
But do you guys get what I'm wondering about? 😜

Not really ... the band split up about 14 years ago.
Of course you are right that some 'official' website would make sense for any 'historical band' but it seems noone cares to make one.

Interestingly direstraits.com is redirected to markknofler.com! And you can find info on all DS albums here as well.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Onlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »
I think the situation is quite simple : Mark Knopfler has a way of control on everything that remains unissued regarding the Dire Straits brand so Mercury can't put anything new on the market without prior agreement with him.

Last year, surprisingly the Honk Tonk Demos were released for the RS day.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
Honestly I would be more happy if there was no Dire Straits at all, just Mark Knopfler like Chris Rea did (both starting in 1978).

Same result, basically, but without any 'guitar hero' and 'stadium rock act' candy. And the fact how MK avoids DS nowadays only proves it.

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
The band split up 14 years ago indeed, and Guy has told us on his forum numeral times they are always looking forward, I get that.

Just find it strange that no official website is up. Wouldn't a little update on that site and a nice little store make some extra attention to Mark? Perhaps even get more people to go see his shows, and might even become a little extra income for him? Which could help finance a new album or tour?

I might be lost.. I dont know  :think  :P

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
The band split up 14 years ago indeed, and Guy has told us on his forum numeral times they are always looking forward, I get that.

Just find it strange that no official website is up. Wouldn't a little update on that site and a nice little store make some extra attention to Mark? Perhaps even get more people to go see his shows, and might even become a little extra income for him? Which could help finance a new album or tour?

You can only blame MK's management here which just doesn't care about all sorts of things including DS glory. And what about MK, anyway?

You get MK's twitter account (sort of), Instagram account (sort of), TWO official youtube accounts, TWO websites and that's it folks.

There's also official Facebook pages both for Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, but there's no anything interesting apart from some generic 'news' and polls and some real news which you can see on MKNEWS anyway. I don't get it. Imagine there was no Guy, so DEAD SILENCE between albums and on tour would be around. I guess Mark just wants to go as 'vintage' as possible in that aspect :lol

OfflineTerry82

• Camerado
  • We are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »
I dream with any official release of the Wembley show, remastered and complete...
It´s very dificult, but, dreaming it´s free :P
I don´t need to be the king of rock; because i´m the Sultan of Swing.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »

there is a very active facebook floyd page, that posts funny and interesting historical pictures and tidbits all the time. there is ways of keeping it exciting for fans, even without toooo much effort.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.