Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (1) Two pairs of hands  (Read 8809 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: (1) Two pairs of hands
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2024, 03:23:09 PM »
Produced by Mark Knopfler and Guy Fletcher
Recorded and mixed by Guy Fletcher at British Grove Studios, London
Assistant Recording Engineers: Rowan McIntosh, Eve Morris, Edie Delafield, Luie Stylianou and Tom Coath
Mix Assistant: Luie Stylianou
Drums by Ian Thomas
Percussion by Danny Cummings
Bass guitar by Glenn Worf
Electric guitar by Richard Bennett
Lap steel by Greg Leisz
Electric piano by Jim Cox
Synths by Guy Fletcher
Guitars and vocals by Mark Knopfler
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering Studios, Portland, Maine
Miscellaneous Credits:
Recorded at British Grove Studios, London, UK
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2024, 03:38:56 PM »
The good thing about this album is that it will be considerably shorter than his previous ones because it needs to fit on vinyl. I can appreciate "slow and low-key", in the right moment, but then the album mustn't drag. Shorter running time helps to avoid that.

So are you saying we're not getting guitar solos and extra songs due to the vinyl nerds on here?  ;)

There were a lot of bad albums, or at least bad songs released, from the early 90s onwards as artists started feeling like they had to fill up an entire CD!

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2024, 03:42:11 PM »
nice song, at least it has a melody and the guitar lick is lovely. It sounds like could be from STP for me. It should be 30-45 seconds longer with some noodling on the guitar - restrained producing as usual.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 05:20:00 PM by richardmu »

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2024, 03:45:39 PM »
It should be 30-45 seconds longer with some noodling on the guitar - terrible producing as usual.

Too much excitement. Can't have that, you know. "Guy, delete that. I need to sit down."  ;D

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2024, 03:49:23 PM »
Great song and a nice opener of the album! Love every bit of it. JJ Cale is alive!
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2024, 05:18:12 PM »
I recorded a quick 1 min video on my kids guitar with its dead strings to show an example of what i meant by outro. Since this in everyone's favourite Em, it could have been very nasty.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2024, 05:38:15 PM »
I recorded a quick 1 min video on my kids guitar with its dead strings to show an example of what i meant by outro. Since this in everyone's favourite Em, it could have been very nasty.

Ah, you showoff!  ;D Cool playing, but I don't think Mark's in shape for that kind of playing. HOWEVER, he and Greg Leisz could have traded some bars of nasty, slow distorted guitar solos. Distorted lap steel sounds glorious. Truly a missed opportunity.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »
The good thing about this album is that it will be considerably shorter than his previous ones because it needs to fit on vinyl. I can appreciate "slow and low-key", in the right moment, but then the album mustn't drag. Shorter running time helps to avoid that.

So are you saying we're not getting guitar solos and extra songs due to the vinyl nerds on here?  ;)

There were a lot of bad albums, or at least bad songs released, from the early 90s onwards as artists started feeling like they had to fill up an entire CD!

But we always had the option to skip them from the comfort of our armchair!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2024, 06:18:17 PM »

Ah, you showoff!  ;D Cool playing, but I don't think Mark's in shape for that kind of playing. HOWEVER, he and Greg Leisz could have traded some bars of nasty, slow distorted guitar solos. Distorted lap steel sounds glorious. Truly a missed opportunity.

I think this "Mark Knopfler's solos if Mark Knopfler was still able to play" discipline will be really popular soon, as yes, these songs certainly call for solos, I won't be surprised by a stream of various takes on them. Yes, It's probably a missed opportunity to let other musicians shine.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2024, 06:18:36 PM »
On Two Pairs Of Hands, Knopfler captures the challenge and exhilaration of live performance.

Says Mark: “‘Two Pairs of Hands’ would just be a song trying to explain what it’s like coping with all of the info and trying to collate everything when you’re standing in the middle of the stage with a huge band. You’ve got a big audience around you and you’re just trying to process all of this stuff at the same time.”

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2024, 06:36:11 PM »

Better to weed out the weak songs and have a stronger, shorter album, isn't it? Having to skip obvious fillers is such a killjoy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2024, 07:01:49 PM »

For me, the optimum album length is 40 mins or under.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2024, 07:27:08 PM »
Something is missing in this song… a bridge   :(
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2024, 07:43:51 PM »
Not really doing it for me this time, it kind of sounds like how a MK mock-up song stitched together from multitracks of previous recordings would sound. Heard it all before, but will still listen to it again.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2024, 08:11:46 PM »
Just listened to this and loved it right away. A very good opener. The whole album seems to have a very laid back atmosphere which is great. Can't wait.......
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.