Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 42743 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
This image broke my heart, this guitar is so iconic in my semantic universe😭 , in addition Pensa Suhr...
There is a guitar there that is a pharaonic artifact, they have an inestimable historical value for the work of his musical career, but he has already sold some legendary ones like the Fender with a maple neck, which he used on the Rockpalast 79 and his Schecter sunburst which he used for TOL and TR...

It's strange that he sells his first guitar, which he got from his father.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
If my favorite guitarist sells his guitars, I can only think that the tenth album will be the last. But I try not to think like that.

Don’t, it probably isn’t. Mark’s right, it’s every guitar player’s sin, no matter if you’re an icon or a bedroom guitarist. We haven’t seen some of those guitars in literally decades. The blue LP has barely been played at all. I just hope the important pieces go to real musicians. I see Jason Isbell going for the 59 burst and Brad Paisley drooling over the signature strat.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
If my favorite guitarist sells his guitars, I can only think that the tenth album will be the last. But I try not to think like that.

Don’t, it probably isn’t. Mark’s right, it’s every guitar player’s sin, no matter if you’re an icon or a bedroom guitarist. We haven’t seen some of those guitars in literally decades. The blue LP has barely been played at all. I just hope the important pieces go to real musicians. I see Jason Isbell going for the 59 burst and Brad Paisley drooling over the signature strat.

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Mark's 74 now. He can still release another album when he's 76 or 77. He seems to have the energy to keep writing songs and making records, so I think he shall do that until he really can't.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
I hope too.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
On the plus side he looks well in the video :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Isbell is relatively successful but I'd be surprised if he was in a position to afford two big name 'bursts.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
I don't know about anyone else but this makes me sad ! Seeing the Pensa on there really feels like a moment in time. This all makes perfect sense and I know he's keeping some but it's all a bit final.

I feel the same, almost crying watching the video. The '59 and '83 Les Paul, Schecter Tele, Pensa-Suhr MK1, Martin signature...

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Really mixed feelings about this.

It's definitely making the next record the last one. Can't see anything else.

Also, I'd like to think that MK wants to know where and to whom his fine instruments will end up. It's a better option than never knowing.

Lastly, this auction will also be know as the "Bonamassa Big Sweep"  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinekempston_joystick

• Guitar George
The red Schecter Tele is the shocker to me, he's used it at every one of his shows that I've seen, going back to the early nineties. It hasn't exactly been gathering dust. Hate to say it, but this one more than any other suggests he's done touring for good.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 02:54:17 PM by kempston_joystick »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Really mixed feelings about this.

It's definitely making the next record the last one. Can't see anything else.

Also, I'd like to think that MK wants to know where and to whom his fine instruments will end up. It's a better option than never knowing.

Lastly, this auction will also be know as the "Bonamassa Big Sweep"  ;D

Not so sure about the next album being his last.

He says in the interview about the MK1: ‘I recorded so much with it, and now I’m brave enough to know that future songs won’t call for it.’

So he does mentions 'future songs'. Sounds hopefull...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
The red Schecter Tele is the shocker to me, he's used it at every one of his shows that I've seen, going back to the early nineties. It hasn't exactly been gathering dust. Hate to say it, but this one more than any other suggests he's done touring for good.

Is it used on stage since Cannibals in the 2008 tour?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Yes, it's another milestone. I suspected he stopped playing the Dire Straits numbers with the long "twiddly" solos because his hands were becoming less dextrous, although Guy would faithfully deflect questions like this.  I used to be able to have a fair bash at ToL & TR but at age 68 I know I'd struggle now (even if I could remember them) as my hands are slowly seizing up (I can still manage Sultans). So, no more touring followed by a downsizing of his guitar collection. To be fair he doesn't need back-ups if he's not touring, so he can probably dispose of some of the duplicates, but it is a surprise to see the '59 Les Paul go.  We know he's been using the '58 on the last few tours so presumably that's his favourite, despite the wooden plug in the front. The '59 looks in better condition and will probably make more in an auction. I knew he'd gone off the MK1 Pensa Suhr, partly because the neck was too thin. I don't think the purple Pensa/Suhr in the auction preview is the "you & your friends" one, I've got a photo of him playing that and it looks black AND the pickup configuration is different (the black one has a neck pickup).  The purple one is more likely to be the synclavier one used on So Far Away. (it's got a lot of extra knobs on ! )
If he's keeping around 20 that gives me scope for another one or two ;D, although I have been considering disposing of a couple of my less played ones
I have to admit to still having my first cheap, plywood acoustic, but only because it's worth nothing!, I moved my first few electric and acoustic guitars on as I bought better ones, but still find it hard to let any of them go. Maybe when I'm 74 I'll think differently, When you buy a guitar you've got to think that you are just the custodian and It's likely going to outlive you.

Anybody else feeling sad about this?

I mean, they are just wood and wires at the end of the day but after the retirement from touring it just feels like something that has been so important in my life is fading away...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:10:42 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
I haven't seen him use that one since 2008.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
So nobody is going to talk about the fact that Mark not only mentioned John Suhr in an interview about auctioned guitars, but praised his work as well? That's the most amazing detail about this whole thing. Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.