Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???  (Read 23621 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Re: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2023, 01:32:48 AM »
Maybe it would be a good idea to direct the discussion about CE on OTN here, instead of developing a further topic about the box launching on 11/03/23.

The documentary 24 Heures portrays the show in 24.04.1992, Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France, is the first of seven consecutive nights at Palais Omnisports de Bercy Paris, at 10:36 Mark uses the greeting present in the CE recordings on OTN, the same occurs in all 7 recordings at the Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France, I was checking, but in none of the shows theoretically used for the OTN does Mark do the salute this way, (Nimes and Rotterdam). Note that at approximately 12:00 min of the video it shows a mobile studio, they are recording the show, this is a precious trace that the show was recorded by the band, probably the other six nights at Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France as well. With this material in hand, they created the OTN, adding the shows in Nimes and Rotterdam and that CE has something from those nights in Paris, such as the greeting. However, I found that most of the audio is from Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and other small parts from Rotterdam 31.05.92. The parts that don't fit are either from shows that we don't have access to like the first and last night in Rotterdam, or they were prepared in some way in the studio.

https://youtu.be/dMu4xu1zu0U?si=yxsorbQwoWeaxcRD
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »
Maybe it would be a good idea to direct the discussion about CE on OTN here, instead of developing a further topic about the box launching on 11/03/23.

The documentary 24 Heures portrays the show in 24.04.1992, Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France, is the first of seven consecutive nights at Palais Omnisports de Bercy Paris, at 10:36 Mark uses the greeting present in the CE recordings on OTN, the same occurs in all 7 recordings at the Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France, I was checking, but in none of the shows theoretically used for the OTN does Mark do the salute this way, (Nimes and Rotterdam). Note that at approximately 12:00 min of the video it shows a mobile studio, they are recording the show, this is a precious trace that the show was recorded by the band, probably the other six nights at Palais Omnisports de Bercy, Paris France as well. With this material in hand, they created the OTN, adding the shows in Nimes and Rotterdam and that CE has something from those nights in Paris, such as the greeting. However, I found that most of the audio is from Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and other small parts from Rotterdam 31.05.92. The parts that don't fit are either from shows that we don't have access to like the first and last night in Rotterdam, or they were prepared in some way in the studio.

We don't have audience recordings of all the nights in Nimes and Rotterdam, so that greeting could comes from any of those missing concerts.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »
FWIW.....
I don't remember thinking that Paris was going to be recorded for the live album. However I have pictures of producer Neil Dorfsman setting up and adjusting mics in Paris. Maybe I thought it was a practice run. Anyway, no doubt those Paris shows were recorded.
The shows in Nimes and Rotterdam were filmed, so I was aware that the audio recording would have to be good in order to be used in the live movie.
I don't think it's that big a deal.
Every single show, from the first to the last, was professionally recorded on the McCartney world tour, including sound checks.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
FWIW.....
I don't remember thinking that Paris was going to be recorded for the live album. However I have pictures of producer Neil Dorfsman setting up and adjusting mics in Paris. Maybe I thought it was a practice run. Anyway, no doubt those Paris shows were recorded.
The shows in Nimes and Rotterdam were filmed, so I was aware that the audio recording would have to be good in order to be used in the live movie.
I don't think it's that big a deal.
Every single show, from the first to the last, was professionally recorded on the McCartney world tour, including sound checks.

The tour itineraries said on each page of the Paris Bercy gigs that were being recorded, if you still have them and are on hand, you can check them, but I have them and I can assure you it says to each Bercy concert that was being recorded. Obviously this was many many years ago, it's normal you don't remember it, we're fans, that's our work, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2023, 12:04:47 PM »

We don't have audience recordings of all the nights in Nimes and Rotterdam, so that greeting could comes from any of those missing concerts.

I usually analyze patterns in everything I research, it's something fundamental and makes a total difference in the result, I noticed that Mark always did that type of greeting at the beginning of CE, like we heard on OTN, only at shows in closed places, in places Open stadiums like Nimes, Rotterdam, and other stadiums, he didn't greet the audience like that, he usually greeted them by raising his arm high and with a closed fist.
I noticed that in all the shows in Paris in April 92 he greeted the audience in CE in the same way as in the OTN version, I noticed that he did the same in the shows I heard on the USA tour, closed places. In none of the shows we have in Nimes and Rotterdam there is this type of greeting, it is clear to me that that greeting was removed in one of the shows in Paris. At the shows in Earls Court I noticed that he does the kind of greeting he did in Paris and in concert halls across the USA, closed places, that's the standard.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2023, 12:58:44 PM »
Oh man, at the beginning of the Basel show he shouts 'ayaaah' a sort of weird "are you alright" at the beginning of Elvis.
He clearly shouts "are you alright" at the beginning of the final Zaragoza show. My recollection is he shouted something most nights on the entire tour.
I could go through more bootlegs and live videos but I can't be bothered. The first two I just checked both featured the almost identical vocal greeting.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 01:01:01 PM by Chris W »

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2023, 01:01:49 PM »
closed places, that's the standard.

Nooooo.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »
Oh man, at the beginning of the Basel show he shouts 'ayaaah' a sort of weird "are you alright" at the beginning of Elvis.
He clearly shouts "are you alright" at the beginning of the final Zaragoza show. My recollection is he shouted something most nights on the entire tour.
I could go through more bootlegs and live videos but I can't be bothered. The first two I just checked both featured the almost identical vocal greeting.

Chris, I don't want to say that he didn't salute with his voice during stadium shows, I noticed that the common pattern of that type of greeting that we heard on OTN was that he did at shows before starting the stage in stadiums, in closed spaces. When I heard CE at the shows in Paris, April 92 he does exactly as he appears on OTN, I heard some of the American leg of the tour, the same thing happens, it's exactly when the introduction of the song is in progress that he salutes, this doesn't happen in the same way. form in the shows in Nimes and Rotterdam, also in none of the first shows in Spain in May 92. If you look closely, in Basel 92 and Nimes in September 92, Mark greets the audience before playing the first note on his guitar , so, there is this type of dynamic that differs, it is a subtlety, but it makes a difference. In the end, I'm just trying to show that that OTN CE greeting was probably taken from a show in Paris in April 92, to show that the track was actually the result of at least 3 shows in different locations and dates and that it can also studio overdubs were added to the guitar parts.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2023, 01:49:10 PM »

Chris, I don't want to say that he didn't salute with his voice during stadium shows, I noticed that the common pattern of that type of greeting that we heard on OTN was that he did at shows before starting the stage in stadiums, in closed spaces. When I heard CE at the shows in Paris, April 92 he does exactly as he appears on OTN, I heard some of the American leg of the tour, the same thing happens, it's exactly when the introduction of the song is in progress that he salutes, this doesn't happen in the same way. form in the shows in Nimes and Rotterdam, also in none of the first shows in Spain in May 92. If you look closely, in Basel 92 and Nimes in September 92, Mark greets the audience before playing the first note on his guitar , so, there is this type of dynamic that differs, it is a subtlety, but it makes a difference. In the end, I'm just trying to show that that OTN CE greeting was probably taken from a show in Paris in April 92, to show that the track was actually the result of at least 3 shows in different locations and dates and that it can also studio overdubs were added to the guitar parts.

Even if it could pinpoint a recording from a Paris show then it wouldn't be anything worthwhile.  It probably came from a night in Rotterdam we don't have anyway - we'd have no way of knowing.  It was just a spontaneous remark and I'm sure Mark could have made it any night.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
There is a different work for CE on OTN, unlike songs like Heavy Fuel, R&J, The Bug, PI, OES, You and Your Friend, MFN, BIA, SR and Wild Theme, these are the same as they are on the bootlegs of shows that were used to create OTN, save for the cut of MFN's intro and the solo drum signal.
Walk of Live has a small edition and YLT maybe something was done in the studio, I'm not sure about that, for me it's the same as the version from 05/19/92, Nimes, it has the same percussion and drums part in the intro, the sung part is also the same as the OTN version, the interpretation is the same, but the guitar is a little different, which reinforces the thesis that the guitar for this song was re-recorded in the studio.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2023, 02:43:30 PM »

Even if it could pinpoint a recording from a Paris show then it wouldn't be anything worthwhile.  It probably came from a night in Rotterdam we don't have anyway - we'd have no way of knowing.  It was just a spontaneous remark and I'm sure Mark could have made it any night.

I don't want to harp on this detail, but think about it, he does this same kind of greeting to the audience every night in Paris in April 92, and in the shows that precede Paris 92, exactly when the music is in progress Mark does the greeting and not before starting the first note of his guitar, exactly the OPPOSITE occurs in the three recordings we have of Nimes, May 92 and none of the two we have of Rotterdam 92, when there is no greeting, Mark salutes before playing his guitar . Wouldn't it be more likely that this was removed at one of the shows in Paris than at the shows we don't have recorded in Rotterdam? It's so likely that it doesn't even show the scene in the video when Mark greets the audience on OTN and it doesn't film Mark doing it, it just shows the audience. Overdubs detected, audio probably Paris 92.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
Oh man, this is literally doing my head in....
Mark does the exact same vocal greeting before playing his guitar at Woburn (large open air), and in Copenhagen (open air), summer of 92.
I'm find no inconsistency at all.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2023, 03:39:10 PM »
Oh man, this is literally doing my head in....
Mark does the exact same vocal greeting before playing his guitar at Woburn (large open air), and in Copenhagen (open air), summer of 92.
I'm find no inconsistency at all.

Alright, Chris. Changing the subject, which moment of the show was your favorite, in which song? Do you remember how the video clip for Heavy Fuel (featuring Randy Quaid) was filmed and was partly filmed at the Sheffield Arena. Following Rod Stewart, Dire Straits became the second act to perform at the newly opened Sheffield Arena. During the Saturday show (31st August), members of the audience were given tickets to attend the Arena the following Monday (2nd September) daytime for the filming of the video for the Heavy fuel single.

Could you share something about this? Thank you for your attention and availability.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2023, 11:06:05 PM »
Ah come on. Let’s look at it from a distance: OTN is a great record of combined live recordings. The latest addition of new previously unreleased stuff is absolutely great. We’ve been listening to tons of audience recordings with crappy audio that made us smile. We now have proper mixed and mastered soundboard recordings (if you like Guys work or not, it’s always way better than any audience recording). In addition we get some great and unique insights in the tour and recording aspects by Chris (thanks so much for that Chris, much appreciated!!!).

Is it really that bad? No, we can be happy we have a chance to listen to a bunch of whole new live recordings. Sometimes I feel like listening to a Simfy live recording of an MK tour, sometimes OTN, Alchemy or whatever we have. Sit back, take a good glass of something and enjoy. 8)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2023, 11:15:30 PM »
Ah come on. Let’s look at it from a distance: OTN is a great record of combined live recordings. The latest addition of new previously unreleased stuff is absolutely great. We’ve been listening to tons of audience recordings with crappy audio that made us smile. We now have proper mixed and mastered soundboard recordings (if you like Guys work or not, it’s always way better than any audience recording). In addition we get some great and unique insights in the tour and recording aspects by Chris (thanks so much for that Chris, much appreciated!!!).

Is it really that bad? No, we can be happy we have a chance to listen to a bunch of whole new live recordings. Sometimes I feel like listening to a Simfy live recording of an MK tour, sometimes OTN, Alchemy or whatever we have. Sit back, take a good glass of something and enjoy. 8)

In case you didn’t read my original post, it was focused chiefly on the video mixing of sources, and I stand by that.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.