Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Give your opinion about Redbud Tree as opening song for the new album  (Read 9021 times)

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
Hi,

I am very curious what others think about Redbud Tree as first song on the album.  In my humble personal opinion I think it's not a very good song to start an album with. It's a bit too tame if you ask me. I would always put an uptempo with a catchy guitar riff or catchy instrument solo as first song.

Best regards,
Michiel

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Give your opinion about Redbud Tree opening song for the new album
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
i think border reiver was his best opener in years, but i do not think redbud tree is a bad opener?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
As far as the song goes I feel kind of "meh" about it, but as an opener, I'll just have to wait and see how it fits with the rest of the album.  I loved 5:15 AM as an opener - but then, I liked that song much better than Redbud Tree.  True Love wasn't too bad as an opener either, imho.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
Strat tone and MK's vocal is ok but the song isn't quite good for MK standart. Shelter me, shelter me, shelter me, shelter me.... I mean the song is just 3 minutes, 2 minutes of it just shelter me. Good to hear Mark's voice with another song again but just it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:39:31 PM by naif »

Love Expresso

I love this song. I think it's too short, but a good opener. Only thing that bothers me is that the SECOND
song is Haul Away which is also very quiet and slow, so my hopes go for DON'T FORGET YOUR HAT as a
real rocking uptempo blues rocker!  ;D

I also wonder about the second album, and if that song maybe is a "real" opener this time...

LE

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
Find it a bit melancholy

:-\

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
I quite like the song, far from his best though, and at just over 3 minutes, it is far too short. I'm hoping there is better on the album.Maybe , as someone mentioned ,side 2 will have a better opener .

Border Reiver was his best album opener.

As for the opening song on tour, i can't see it being RT- too slow. I hope it's Border Reiver again, the live version kicks the studio versions butt.

Love Expresso

"What It Is" album version would always be my choice for the best opener. (By the way, the best opener of all times in general for me: So Far Away, album version)

Border Reiver is nice, but recorded to soft and smooth. The live versions were really great, the later at the tour the better.

LE

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Love the song, great angst ridden melody (or depressing as my mates would say) which is when MK is at his best, but not an opener for me.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
My absolute best opener remains DTTW (and what a better song to start a day?). Solo, WII. Live BR.
RT is very good, I like it.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: Give your opinion about Redbud Tree as opening song for the new album
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
"What It Is" album version would always be my choice for the best opener. (By the way, the best opener of all times in general for me: So Far Away, album version)

Border Reiver is nice, but recorded to soft and smooth. The live versions were really great, the later at the tour the better.

LE

Sir, I do agree wholeheartedly!

And I have to add that "Down To The Waterline" may be one of the very best opener of all times...
It sets the mood for the whole album.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Love Expresso

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
Yes, totally forgot about that one  :D. The "intro" is really magic, and totally done without any synths, only guitar work, just imagine! I remember the first time that I heard DTTW (funny story, at those times I used to listen to a tape with only the b-side of the first album for years, which I was very happy with, didn't even realize that something was missing because it was mixed with Communiqu

OfflineAdz

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
The first time I heard Redbud Tree, I thought it was pretty mediocre. The it gets in to your head, and you can't stop playing it. MK seems to tell a story in fewer and fewer words these days, which is an art in itself. His songs will no doubt be shorter as a consequence. As an opening song, it probably tells us quite a lot about the album to come, and I think it's a good choice.

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
Mmmm - its growing on me - mellow sound of voice and guitar, haunting piece.

Agree that Border Reiver was a great one
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:49:15 PM by sak4 »

OnlineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
Redbud tree is IMO a perfect song and s great opener, far better than the (a bit too) boring Border Reiver. I love that it's in minor, great chord progression, great chorus and it has perfect length (!) ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 44 queries.