Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Anyone else having trouble to find Privateering in stores ?  (Read 9777 times)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Re: Anyone else having trouble to find Privateering in stores ?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »
I Don't know if those of you that have ordered the deluxe & box sets from MK.com have noticed, but they now have a note on the order page saying "please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" !  :o
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Wasn't intending to buy a copy of the album because I have ordered the various editions but we were on holiday in our holiday home in Cornwall on release day and we wandered into a small record shop in nearby Bude, Cornwall to not only find a 'two disc' copy off the shelf but the owner was actually playing the album too!!
Redbud tree was the track playing in the background!!

The owner of the store like ourselves is a MK fan....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
No sign of it yet, anywhere, in any form. I would like to say that I bought it from my local shop, but paying for GL 100 Euros was the last nail in the cofin. And nobody brings deluxe editions without order and making profit...
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
I searched a good few minutes looking for it at my local ASDA............. it wasn't there, it wasn't even in their chart!!(other new releases this week were in it) The supremely talented Ronan Keatings new album was no4!!!!, I think

Very strange and worrying, as a lot of sales will come from supermarkets, hopefully it's not a common occurence elsewhere.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
I've got 2 e-mails tonight :3
First one from fnac.com : my deluxe edition is being shipped
Second one from Universal.co.uk : a free copy of the 2 CD edition because I bought 2 tickets for the RAH (I'm not a UK resident !)
So finally I will have 3 editions ! A crazy thing...
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
I've got 2 e-mails tonight :3
First one from fnac.com : my deluxe edition is being shipped
Second one from Universal.co.uk : a free copy of the 2 CD edition because I bought 2 tickets for the RAH (I'm not a UK resident !)
So finally I will have 3 editions ! A crazy thing...

Same here! Also not a UK resident and i ordered my copy for free.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
mk.com also gave me a promotion code for a free download copy!
4 editions finally !!!
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
Today is Sept. 4th and I still don't have my copy of Privateering.  :disbelief
I'm old school and I like to physically buy things instead of ordering. Not the best idea but it's my contribution to save the local stores...
Official release was supposed to be Aug. 31st and I could find the standard 2CD version + LP only today.
No Deluxe and of course no Super Deluxe. Absolutely useless and offending.

They said they can order the Box for ca. 120 Euros ... Who's gonna pay twice the price to have things 2 weeks taler ?
Will show them next year what I can get for 120 Euros.  >:(

I don't understand the commercial strategy.  How can the music industry complain if they show no respect to the customers ?
Maybe I won't buy at all their f*** record.  ??? >:( 

Hello tunnel85,

I too chose to buy mine from a shop rather than on-line.  I specifically avoided ordering through the "official" website, MarkKnopfler.com because they had demonstrated such poor service and communication over shutting down the discussion forum there.

So at after work today, September 7th, I was finally able to make it to a shop that said they had both the regular and deluxe versions in stock.  I looked though the rack and found no sign of anything by Mark Knopfler - not even an empty bin with a tag.  So I asked a clerk and she informed me, "All our CDs are on the shelves.  We don't order extra stock that we don't have room for on the display racks.  If it's not there, we either didn't get it, or we're sold out."

Fortunately I found another CD I wanted and picked that up or I might have left empty-handed.  They had a customer computer kiosk nearby where you can check for their stock of any item and when I typed in Privateering, it told me there are "8 copies at this location".

I approached a different clerk about finding where those 8 copies might be and she said, "Oh, you'll have to ask the cashier to check." 

So, I went to the cashier to pay for my other CD and ask her about the Mark Knopfler one as well.  She asked me twice how to spell his name and couldn't find anything so I asked her to search by title as I had done.  I spelled out P-r-i-v-a-t-e-e-r-i-n-g for her.  She watched her screen and then grabbed a piece of paper and made some notes without saying anything. 
She then went to see yet another clerk who turned to look at me and smiled and said, "I'll just go look in the back".  I said, "There's a deluxe version available too.  I'll take that if you've got it." 
A minute or two later she returned looking quite pleased and had a copy of Privateering in her hand.  "It's 2 CDs," she said.  "Is that the deluxe version?"
"No, I replied ruefully.  "The deluxe version is 3 CDs." 
"Oh.  Well this is all we have."

Can you believe it?   ???  The release date here in Canada was September 4.  Another store nearby had it on the shelf the day of release, but at this place they seemed completely unaware and had to go digging in the back-room for it - 3 days after the release date!  And nobody it seems, has anything other than the standard 2-CD version. 

Of course I bought it, but I don't know how I'm going to get the deluxe version or the bonus tracks unless I now go and place an order on-line!   :(
"If I'd a bucket of gold, silver would do...."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
3Pints I thought you were a Brit!
Anyway, I found a way to deal with the situation. I convinced myself that the release date is 31 September, (  ;)  ) so all I have to do is wait.
I guess the good old DS days that they were selling records like bread are long gone, so the young ones (20-22)  that serve at the shops, haven't even heard of him. 
I don't know what happened, I guess we will never learn, but an apology would at least soften the blow.
I know that they produce many copies of the simple release and 4-6 months after they have it on sale, so it practically costs them nothing, the profits come from the expensive editions, which would be limited, if we knew the exact number of copies produced. 1 million copies are hardly limited. 9999 copies are OK.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
I searched a good few minutes looking for it at my local ASDA............. it wasn't there, it wasn't even in their chart!!(other new releases this week were in it) The supremely talented Ronan Keatings new album was no4!!!!, I think

Very strange and worrying, as a lot of sales will come from supermarkets, hopefully it's not a common occurence elsewhere.

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and was curious to see where the album was in their chart.    Yes, you've probably guessed - not a sign of it!  Everything else that was released at the same time was there eg Ronan Keating, The Vaccines etc!   I just don't understand the marketing and distribution of MK's albums!   :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »
Val please don't complain. You have become, finally, the follower of a cult musician. So cult that no big stores, stocks his records.  ;D
I know you have become involuntary, but doesn't it feel great? Only a chosen few, talking about it in dark forums, spending their days and hours guessing where the CDs are and if we will ever be able to get our hands on any of them. The limited edition is an impossible thing, even Mark doesn't have one, and the 3 CD version a legendary holy grail that only people in Germany have.  ;D
Well, I used to follow many bands and discographies, but I have never come across such a @*!@ distribution for a regular release. Oh, how I miss the 7'' & 12" singles. They were setting the machine in motion at least a month ahead and the album used this running machine to great effect. Now you only have EPK's (for God sake electronic press kit, is like giving one peanut to an elephant) and downloadable single (sic) songs. No wonder nothing works from then on. We are only the hard core fans, that we look for it, so we find. The casual buyer has to see it in front of him to be reminded. A simple marketing rule, that all these marketing geniuses forget. Except if they try to prove something to us or MK. 

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
I like the cult musician thing...

Quite cool

;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
Yes, vgonis and jbaent, you are both quite right!   I feel much better about it now - far superior to the average CD buyer!    8)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Mark who? Never heard of him. A great guitar player? Like J.J. who? No, not here. We only have CDs that sell 100 or more. If we don't achieve this goal, the management will shut down this department and I really need my job. Have instead the latest Adele CD. And if you want one of the elder, try Patti Smith. I have brought 5 copies from her latest album but it doesn't sell. It was the last time for her.
An almost artificial dialog from a CD shop in Greece.

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
3Pints I thought you were a Brit!
Anyway, I found a way to deal with the situation. I convinced myself that the release date is 31 September, (  ;)  ) so all I have to do is wait.
I guess the good old DS days that they were selling records like bread are long gone, so the young ones (20-22)  that serve at the shops, haven't even heard of him. 
I don't know what happened, I guess we will never learn, but an apology would at least soften the blow.
I know that they produce many copies of the simple release and 4-6 months after they have it on sale, so it practically costs them nothing, the profits come from the expensive editions, which would be limited, if we knew the exact number of copies produced. 1 million copies are hardly limited. 9999 copies are OK. 

Hi Vgonis,

Hehe..... Your first thought was absolutely right.  I'm living in Canada though.   :D
Yeah, I keep forgetting that as Mark has got older, so have I, and the clerks in the shops now are mostly of a younger generation and listen to other things. 
Oh well.  Even with the gradual demise of record shops, I'm still able to find most of the new music I want to buy one way or another, so over all, I'm happy. 
"If I'd a bucket of gold, silver would do...."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.