Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89375 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
I saw Phil Palmer at least three times at the RAH attending MK concerts. The first one was in 2008 and we chat for a while and had a photo taken together. He was very nice and very looking forward to the concert.

If Palmer hates MK so much it doesn't make sense to loose your time attending MK concerts in different tours...

I also saw Palmer at one Clapton concert at the RAH, with Steve Ferrone and someone I didn't know.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
"If Palmer hates MK so much it doesn't make sense to loose your time attending MK concerts in different tours...

He hates? It's probably too big a word
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
"If Palmer hates MK so much it doesn't make sense to loose your time attending MK concerts in different tours...

Yes. I don't think it's hate, more like a competition (and we all know who's going to win). I always get stuck in competition while making music. Everybody thinks "I can play better than you and I can do better than you". The whole situation about tribute bands tells me it's about competition more than about anything else. But that's not fair already, because you're playing by someone else's rules (by playing someone else's songs). I'm also a victim of that. I would never ever and will never start a tribute band, so I've found another way to empty out my "competition" feeling. I'm not a big fan of anything unoriginal if you ask me. And this whole situation with Palmer, Clark, ect. gives me a royal pain in the neck.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Curious he feels the need to do this unless it's an ad for the new record and tour.  :think

Lot of people is asking him in his facebook account... I was wondering he would be tired of it and do something like this.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »

Yes. I don't think it's hate, more like a competition (and we all know who's going to win). I always get stuck in competition while making music. Everybody thinks "I can play better than you and I can do better than you". The whole situation about tribute bands tells me it's about competition more than about anything else. But that's not fair already, because you're playing by someone else's rules (by playing someone else's songs). I'm also a victim of that. I would never ever and will never start a tribute band, so I've found another way to empty out my "competition" feeling. I'm not a big fan of anything unoriginal if you ask me. And this whole situation with Palmer, Clark, ect. gives me a royal pain in the neck.

If thats true... this forum is so big that I can't understand why you increase your pain with this thread.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
If thats true... this forum is so big that I can't understand why you increase your pain with this thread.

Because I can't ignore that either. We get to the point when even the "statements" become a standard in communication. What's next? Phil Palmer feels he need to explain the "3 Chord Trick" song, because 80% of fans assumed it was about MK, rightfully so. And now he says he loves Mark and that the song is about himself instead. And the confusion has only begun... :hmm

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
so now that legacy song is not about MK, but about Palmer ? LOL thats the most ridiculous statement ever

I told you chewbacca and mickey mouse cowrote Telegraph Road together with MK and Alan Clark
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »

Because I can't ignore that either. We get to the point when even the "statements" become a standard in communication. What's next? Phil Palmer feels he need to explain the "3 Chord Trick" song, because 80% of fans assumed it was about MK, rightfully so. And now he says he loves Mark and that the song is about himself instead. And the confusion has only begun... :hmm

You know, when we reach this point in which fans contact Phil and Alan directly, and they give the explanations to the fans reactions, and even that, they are not believing what they say, there is only one thing that comes to mind...

... and it's that haters are gonna hate

I know that they made things that some of us would consider innapropiate, but some of the things I've been reading about it looks like a big overreaction, specially when Alan and Phil made clear everything.

It doesn't mind if Alan explains that he didn't write TR parts but helped to create the arrangements, it doesn't mind if Phil explains that 3CT is about him, not MK. It doesn't mind as it doesn't feed our hate to the great sinners...

I'm quite tired and bored of this attitude. You (not you exactly, you in general) should reconsider what's really behind this attitude of ignore the explanations because it doesn't fit with the "hate".

yes. Hate might be a big word, but it's the only explanation for all this hunger of flesh... MK himself doesn't mind about them, and poor souls is the only thing he has to say about it... I guess that annoys also all the haters, that would rather see him sue them until they are bankrupt and buried under the sand...

:smack

pathetic.

Each to his own...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
so now that legacy song is not about MK, but about Palmer ? LOL thats the most ridiculous statement ever

I told you chewbacca and mickey mouse cowrote Telegraph Road together with MK and Alan Clark

LOL that's hilarious! :lol

... and it's that haters are gonna hate

:smack

pathetic.

Each to his own...

We don't "hate" either. It's just the wrong order of events that leads to all this "hate". And I'm not a fan of NOT loving AC and Phil Palmer! In fact, when I was a kid watching On The Night I thought they were the coolest guys in the world along with MK and I treated them all equally cool. But as time goes by it's hard to stay cool and AC and PP failed the test of time... In the other hand, John, Danny, Guy and others succeeded and there's always more love than hate. And in the end, the love you take...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
I think a natural way of thinking would be to close down all this official tribute thing completely with false advertising and things (there'll be a show in Moscow later this year and already I've met people who thinks it's going to be a Dire Straits show, how about that?). Or at least rename it completely or make something towards this devastating attitude which makes so many people "angry". Oh, they already did it by releasing an album of original material? Yeah, with lyrics so controversial it causes musicians to release "statements"... Omg, do something right for one time at least!

Why everything's so controversial?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »

I'm glad you found a way to deal with your own frustrations.

:thumbsup

:clap

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
Previously, was The Straits true? For me, they destroy the heritage of dIRE sTRAITS (1977-1993)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »

I'm glad you found a way to deal with your own frustrations.

:thumbsup

:clap

No idea what you are talking about
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
I think a natural way of thinking would be to close down all this official tribute thing completely with false advertising and things (there'll be a show in Moscow later this year and already I've met people who thinks it's going to be a Dire Straits show, how about that?). Or at least rename it completely or make something towards this devastating attitude which makes so many people "angry". Oh, they already did it by releasing an album of original material? Yeah, with lyrics so controversial it causes musicians to release "statements"... Omg, do something right for one time at least!

Why everything's so controversial?

Unfortunately people believing they are the real thing is happening in every country

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
I don't think hate is the right word. Phil's situation is quite different from Alan's anyway. I just don't buy this statement, coming from who it comes. I've read a number of interviews given by Phil Palmer throughout the years and can't remember any where he says kind and warm words about Mark and DS like he does now, not even one. I don't know what their relationship was like during their interaction within the band - and we all know Mark ain't no saint, the man can be ruthless - but coming up with those nice lines having never said anything quite like that before doesn't smell good to me.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.