Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: RIP JJ Cale  (Read 12441 times)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: RIP JJ Cale
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »
Thanks for posting the message! I was watching, and there was a shot of a women who was speaking in front of a small group of people. She was reading from a paper, an award, which said that JJ was a big inspiration for Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Another artist was mentioned, I forgot who it was. Didn't really paid attention to the other name. It's a great documentary, I will try to find a link and share it here.  A lot of talking about his life, songs and influences. Eric Clapton also had a nice part in it, he spoke about JJ a couple of times.

It must have been "To Tulsa And Back" documentary. Great material, worth checking out for sure. Used to be on YouTube but I can't find it there now.
Available on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/J-J-Cale-Tulsa-Back-Tour/dp/B000FBHCBY

Another artist was mentioned, I forgot who it was.
It was EC of course :)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »
Cale wrote a song about his dog who died called Old Blue. Cale sings :
" When I get to heaven first thing I'II do, I'II grab my horn and call Old Blue "
The sad news made me think of that song.............and made me smile a little  :)
Yes, thanks for reminding this! They must be spending some quality time together now...
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:43 AM »
Thanks for posting the message! I was watching, and there was a shot of a women who was speaking in front of a small group of people. She was reading from a paper, an award, which said that JJ was a big inspiration for Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Another artist was mentioned, I forgot who it was. Didn't really paid attention to the other name. It's a great documentary, I will try to find a link and share it here.  A lot of talking about his life, songs and influences. Eric Clapton also had a nice part in it, he spoke about JJ a couple of times.

Here the link , re-broadcasted by NTR , Nederland 2 , Tuesday July 30Th
Program name : Het Uur van de Wolf.
Title:   J.J.Cale
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
In my opinion if it wasn't for JJ Cale there wouldn't have been a Dire Straits. When you Lauren to some of those Cale records it's almost embarrassing how much MK ripped off his sound for the early DS
 tone.

JJ Cale probably laughed his arse off first time he heard it. RIP.

on his website he said : "celebrity doesn't interest me"

so the fact that other artists used his style was not an issue for him IMHO

That's what I said. :)

ah sorry, I didn't understand the expression "to laugh his arse off  "very well...  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
sorry it's in french...but that's part of my work :

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/mort-de-jj-cale-une-legende-de-la-guitare-139875

I did'nt know that he used a drum machine for his first album

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
The drum machine intro for Call Me The Breeze is timeless, sublime!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
"Old Blue" is an old folk song, also known as "Old Dog Blue". I am not familiar with JJ Cale's song/version but I guess that it comes from or is based on the old song.

I remember talking to an old folkie one time who said that he can remember Dylan, on the latter's first visit to Britain over 50 years ago, singing it.  When I said to him that I didn't recall reading anywhere that Dylan used to sing that song (and there's certainly no circulating version), he replied that all the Americans who came over at that time sang "Old Blue".  I suspect that the old folkie was getting mixed up with Dick Farina, who even recorded it with another American, Eric Von Schmidt, in London at the time Dylan was here.

Anyway, I suspect it was not a song written by JJ Cale, though he may have claimed  credir for it as a new arrangement or his own adaptation of the old song - which was probably pretty near the truth anyway.

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »
"Old Blue" is an old folk song, also known as "Old Dog Blue". I am not familiar with JJ Cale's song/version but I guess that it comes from or is based on the old song.

I remember talking to an old folkie one time who said that he can remember Dylan, on the latter's first visit to Britain over 50 years ago, singing it.  When I said to him that I didn't recall reading anywhere that Dylan used to sing that song (and there's certainly no circulating version), he replied that all the Americans who came over at that time sang "Old Blue".  I suspect that the old folkie was getting mixed up with Dick Farina, who even recorded it with another American, Eric Von Schmidt, in London at the time Dylan was here.

Anyway, I suspect it was not a song written by JJ Cale, though he may have claimed  credir for it as a new arrangement or his own adaptation of the old song - which was probably pretty near the truth anyway.
Thanks for that correction twm. You're right  :)

The song Old Blue is on the album called Guitar Man from 1996. It's only arranged by J.J. Cale. In the sleeve Cale thanks his old dog called Bud. It's an old song like you said.
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »

Thanks for that correction twm. You're right  :)

The song Old Blue is on the album called Guitar Man from 1996. It's only arranged by J.J. Cale. In the sleeve Cale thanks his old dog called Bud. It's an old song like you said.
Ah, right. It's been a while since I had this album in hands. But at least we know that Blue's real name was Bud :)

OfflineBuford T Justice

• Guitar George
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2013, 12:44:51 AM »
A big loss, love the Grasshopper album for its variety of styles and (JJ cliche time!) laid back style.

So many different artists covered his songs in different ways yet they still retained something if the man from Okie.

Can I suggest listening to the following on one of these warm summer nights: -

Of course, there's always the man himself

Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
Your comments on "Old Blue" piqued my curiosity. The earliest recording (and if not the earliest, one of the earliest) appears to be by Jim Jackson, who recorded it in February 1928 under the "old Dog Blue" title. Jackson seems to have claimed credit for it, though the song sounds like it goes back further than that.  I actually have that recording, as it is on the rather wonderful 3-volume "Anthology of American Folk Music" compiled from old 78s by Harry Smith back in the early 1950s.  For years, I had a cassette dub of the 3 original LPs plus a photocopy of the booklet. Then about 15 years agao, it came out as a CD box set - all 84 tracks.

Apparently Harry Smith planned a 4th volume which didn't come out at the time but there is also a CD issue of what that would have been, based on Smith's notes. In addition, there is a fan compilation of similar material, 4 CDs of about 100 tracks, none overlapping with the original 84 tracks.

If you have any interest whatsoever in American folk music or wonder where some of more recent music  derives, these early commercial recordings are seminal stuff. Few are smooth and many may seem hard-going at first, but they repay repeated listening many times over.  There's also a bit of education mixed with humour . Harry Smith sometimes provided telegrammatic newspaper-style headlines to summarixze songs.

For example, "King Kong Kitie Kitchie Ki-Me-O" was described thus: "Zoological Miscegny Achieved in Mouse-Frog Nuptials. Relatives Approve". Some may recognise this as the old song, "Mr. Froggie Went A-Courtin". Smith adds: "In the register of the London Company of Stationers for November 2, 1580, there is an entry titled, 'A Moste Strange Wedding of the Frogge and the Mouse'; probably the same song".

That may not be the best of examples on which to urge you to get this set. There are folk songs, there are country blues, dance tunes, gospel hymns, ballads about murders, comedy numbers, some jug band music, outlaw songs, string bands, Cajun recordings - and so much  more. I tend to think of it as treasure chest but, if that is overstating it a bit, then it really is a treasure map.

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
Yes, he will be missed.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 11:56:59 PM »
R.I.P.

There should be a documentary of this legendary guitar hero with MK featured on.

I remember seeing 'To Tulsa and Back' -  an on tour/lifetime achievment documentary about J.J.

It was nothing but pure greatness!

But without MK on.  A pity that two legendary guitar heros' live recordings haven't see the light of day by now.  Anyone could tell me how many times they two performed or recorded together?

Sadly none I guess  :-\
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 11:58:47 PM »
R.I.P.

There should be a documentary of this legendary guitar hero with MK featured on.

I remember seeing 'To Tulsa and Back' -  an on tour/lifetime achievment documentary about J.J.

It was nothing but pure greatness!

But without MK on.  A pity that two legendary guitar heros' live recordings haven't see the light of day by now.  Anyone could tell me how many times they two performed or recorded together?

Sadly none I guess  :-\

We only saw a pic of them two sharing on the same stage or maybe at the back stage.  Anyone has that pic by hand and is willing to upload it here?  I'm using mobile now.

i was in contact, some years ago, with us manager about this pic, that the manager made himself by the way. But somehow the contact died. I met JJ once, in 1994. Nicest man in the business
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.