Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) Wherever I Go (feat Ruth Moody) (6:24)  (Read 84307 times)

OnlineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: (11) Wherever I Go (feat Ruth Moody) (6:24)
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
I listened about ten times to it now and I still find it too close to other songs. I love the intro! Some may hate Guy's pads/synths/atmospheric sounds, but I've been really missing them since TRD. I think they're part of MK's overall sound. The acoustic lick from 3:33-3:35 is used so many times, e.g. in Irish Boy from Cal. The Les Paul solo at 3:54 is a slower version of the first solo of Are We In Trouble Now. Besides these literal quotes, it just sounds too much the same for me.

Lately I've been thinking about MK's musical direction. Not about style directions (like country/celtic), but more about melody/harmony. Maybe he's running out of ideas and I can't blame him. He did some marvelous work harmonically, for example the verses of Seattle in C and it's chorus in F (that's pure brilliance), Sands of Nevada, Your Latest Trick, etc... but for the last couple of years he stays very close to one key and it's diatonic triads (a that itself is very celtic). And sound-wise, imagine Beryl played with the Les Paul and Wherever I Go with the Strat, that's much more drastic than choosing another microphone but he won't. These kinds of songs are bound to a specific guitar. It's not like having much more time at BG studio has resulted in drastic new sounds, technically the sound is better than ever.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
I listened about ten times to it now and I still find it too close to other songs. I love the intro! Some may hate Guy's pads/synths/atmospheric sounds, but I've been really missing them since TRD. I think they're part of MK's overall sound. The acoustic lick from 3:33-3:35 is used so many times, e.g. in Irish Boy from Cal. The Les Paul solo at 3:54 is a slower version of the first solo of Are We In Trouble Now. Besides these literal quotes, it just sounds too much the same for me.

Lately I've been thinking about MK's musical direction. Not about style directions (like country/celtic), but more about melody/harmony. Maybe he's running out of ideas and I can't blame him. He did some marvelous work harmonically, for example the verses of Seattle in C and it's chorus in F (that's pure brilliance), Sands of Nevada, Your Latest Trick, etc... but for the last couple of years he stays very close to one key and it's diatonic triads (a that itself is very celtic). And sound-wise, imagine Beryl played with the Les Paul and Wherever I Go with the Strat, that's much more drastic than choosing another microphone but he won't. These kinds of songs are bound to a specific guitar. It's not like having much more time at BG studio has resulted in drastic new sounds, technically the sound is better than ever.

Interesting thoughts, TheTimeWasWrong. I happen to agree a bit. The riffs with the Les Pau are not so difficult to copy if you know where Mark would put his fingers on the fretboard, in these songs you can make a good guess if you know what I mean. Nevertheless I still think it is pure brilliance which sound he gets from the guitar on these songs. You really have to be gentle with the tips of your fingers (don't use nails), both left and right. Still he is a bit in safe modus with this song, musically speaking, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we're going to hear this song more than one time played live. Both sides of the story, again ;D
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
The old masters, Mozart, Bach, etc  had their own sound and the same notes, themes, etc can be heard in most of their compositions.  That is why they are instantly recognisable - the same as MK!  ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »
The old masters, Mozart, Bach, etc  had their own sound and the same notes, themes, etc can be heard in most of their compositions.  That is why they are instantly recognisable - the same as MK!  ;)

Nice words superval, did you ever listen to Glenn Gould? One of the greatest pianists I've ever heard, beautiful playing of Bach! He also had his very own style, which made him such a great musician.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »
My two penneth for what it is worth. I think this is a great song! This is a guy who is a master of the craft of song writing. Think of the songs in a similar vein - Golden Heart / In the Sky / If This is Goodbye / Piper to the End - beautiful from start to finish. This new  one is in the same mould. Great stuff!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
Follow the Ribbon meets Radio City Serenade.  Sax sounds very well played IMO (I'm no expert though) and Ruth's voice is so sweet.  Not as disjointed as I thought at first, perhaps my mind was wandering after the 1:00 mark as it's difficult to pay attention to a song so slow. You keep expecting it to burst into life but it never does.  On and on at the same monotonous slow pace until it fades out.  It is good but doesn't grab me and is completely forgettable.  I had it on repeat for over half an hour last night and still can't hum it or quote any lyrics. 

If he plays this live they'll need to sound the fire alarm at the venue to waken up the audience at the end!  Perhaps it could replace Marbletown in the set...  :think
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:34:39 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »
   It is good but doesn't grab me and is completely forgettable.  I had it on repeat for over half an hour last night and still can't hum it or quote any lyrics. 

Yes, exactly.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
To me it's "Follow The Ribbon"/ "Sons of Scotland" with lyrics!    Since I have been listening to the song rather a lot, it has become much less disjointed to me too, plus the tune is now stuck in my head, mixed with Basil!   I like it very much!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Quote from: Dutchessy link=topic=4059.msg89546#msg89546
date=1424607006
Guy just responded to my question that it is in the provisional setlist

My guess it's only for the RAH dates with Nigel and Ruth.

Was thinking that last night but then thought it may not be a very good "live song."  I'm surprised to hear it's on the provisional list.

agreed :thumbsup. The song is too slow for a live concert. I'm afraid it will put people who are not too familiar with Mark's songs to sleep.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2015, 03:41:18 PM »
Perfect for listening to at the end of the day with a glass of wine!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Quote from: Dutchessy link=topic=4059.msg89546#msg89546
date=1424607006
Guy just responded to my question that it is in the provisional setlist

My guess it's only for the RAH dates with Nigel and Ruth.

Was thinking that last night but then thought it may not be a very good "live song."  I'm surprised to hear it's on the provisional list.

agreed :thumbsup. The song is too slow for a live concert. I'm afraid it will put people who are not too familiar with Mark's songs to sleep.

He did play "The Fish and the Bird" live, so I wouldn't say this one is to slow. I doubt however that he will play it live. I'm not sure why...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 03:54:54 PM »

That's a really good point!!

OfflineJana

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
   It is good but doesn't grab me and is completely forgettable.  I had it on repeat for over half an hour last night and still can't hum it or quote any lyrics. 

Yes, exactly.

LE

+1

I listened it several times and can't remember it.
...yes I need a little water of love...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Although I like the song a lot, I feel it would be much better if the tempo was faster.   When I'm listening and singing along, I'm at the end of each line and ready for the next before it's sung!  It's quite tiring actually! ;D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBarzofarhyme

• Camerado
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Although I like the song a lot, I feel it would be much better if the tempo was faster.   When I'm listening and singing along, I'm at the end of each line and ready for the next before it's sung!  It's quite tiring actually! ;D

Agreed :thumbsup

Ruth Moody has a fabulous voice and i like this song a lot. But like you,just wish it was a little more uptempo as well.Maybe we could buy the album on vinyl and play it at 45rpm instead off 33  ;D ;D
All i do is kiss you, through the bars of a rhyme

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 37 queries.