Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) Wherever I Go (feat Ruth Moody) (6:24)  (Read 84363 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (11) Wherever I Go (feat Ruth Moody) (6:24)
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
Why are people picking on DMG for expressing his opinion? He's not being arrogant IMO, he's just giving HIS views on MK's music, as he should be free to do on this site.

I'm not sure we are 'Picking' on dmg, Dusty in fact I would like to think far from it...

We are well aware of dmg's views on MK's music at the moment, but that's fine and I respect him for that - 'each to their own and all that'
But please just don't ruin it for those who are indeed enjoying this fantastic album by continually putting a damper on things!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:04:28 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
I didn't see the forum for his post, but as far as I know, Guy does not like to discuss setlists, right?  I am surprised that he would confirm any setlist - even a provisional one.  Did I miss something?  :hmm
Guy did not only confirm that it is in the provisional setlist, he revealed deliberately - without the fans asking about it - in his forum that "Wherever I go" and "TOTT" are in the provisional setlist.

surferboy

« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »
Obviously it is clear to everyone that this song is about Mark and Kitty

In the interview with "derwesten" from March 13th MK said it is about his best friend Nigel, whom he knew since he was nine years old.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
Obviously it is clear to everyone that this song is about Mark and Kitty

In the interview with "derwesten" from March 13th MK said it is about his best friend Nigel, whom he knew since he was nine years old.

Yes.  In the 24 min video he said it was a song about friendships that can carry on where they left off, even if a lot of time had elapsed since the last contact.  I had a school friend like that too.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
I didn't see the forum for his post, but as far as I know, Guy does not like to discuss setlists, right?  I am surprised that he would confirm any setlist - even a provisional one.  Did I miss something?  :hmm
Guy did not only confirm that it is in the provisional setlist, he revealed deliberately - without the fans asking about it - in his forum that "Wherever I go" and "TOTT" are in the provisional setlist.
Thanks for clarifying, yontwocrows!
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
Piper to the End - similarities especially the outro.

Offlinechris

• Guitar George
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:15 AM »
Deeply impressed of that song.

For me this is a love song full of tenderness and magic as well as romanticism and yearning. Do you know the feeling when silk is softly touching your skin? To me it's the same with this song to my soul.

To compare it with „Are We In Trouble Now“ is not that wrong. MK created the same intimate atmosphere in „Wherever I Go“. IMO this one is simlpy a masterpiece. It has everything, a good song needs, it speaks to all your senses: You read the words (cognitive), you listen to the tunes (emotions)  and the dialog between the sax and the wonderful Gibson gives you the opportunity to let your fantasy find out, how this lovestory might go on... with laughter? tears? doubts? hope? -  sadness or happy end? It's all up to the listener, what she/he makes out of the song. MK gives you a pattern and you can spin the thread. That's great and once again a proof, that MK is a good psychologist.

And it's a gift: MK opens a small window and shows the world the colourful and deep emotions he has inside, with the risk that people call that song boring, mediocre and things like that. One must have a strong character not to fall in despair when people don't understand what you want to tell them.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:02:28 AM by chris »

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »
Deeply impressed of that song.

For me this is a love song full of tenderness and magic as well as romanticism and yearning :think Do you know the feeling when silk is softly touching your skin? To me it's the same with this song to my soul.

To compare it with „Are We In Trouble Now“ is not that wrong. MK created the same intimate atmosphere in „Wherever I Go“. IMO this one is simlpy a masterpiece. It has everything, a good song needs, it speaks to all your senses: You read the words (cognitive), you listen to the tunes (emotions)  and the dialog between the sax and the wonderful Gibson gives you the opportunity to let your fantasy find out, how this lovestory might go on... with laughter? tears? doubts? hope? -  sadness or happy end? It's all up to the listener, what she/he makes out of the song. MK gives you a pattern and you can spin the thread. That's great and once again a proof, that MK is a good psychologist.

And it's gift: MK opens a small window and shows the world the colourful and deep emotions he has inside, with the risk that people call that song boring, mediocre and things like that. One must have a strong character not to fall in despair when people don't understand what you want to tell them.
Fantastic review about this masterpiece. I'm completely agree all the way. As I said earlier, for me it's the best track on the album. Love all what you mentioned here. Are We In Trouble Now and If This Is Goodbye is among the best songs ever made by Mark. But this song is so beautiful too. Thanks for your words here  :wave
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
Obviously it is clear to everyone that this song is about Mark and Kitty, therefore private or "self-indulgent"? I can't see any personal key or touch in it, I mean personal touch from his very own life - it is just general valid stuff about missing the beloved one etc.. so it is a romantic thing. For example, in Silver Eagle and Taormina the Dylan thing is pretty obvious, whereas this could be any other couple. In fact, it could also be a gay male couple ("brother")  ;)

About the other thing cooking here, I wish we would not start to get angry about a love song. I don't know what happened on Facebook, but I witnessed a very tough emotional day following the news today and it is really not worth it fighting about Mark in times when he should be happy about a new album.

Especially as two of the very well-known, reputated and personal friends (of mine) start to get angry!

:wave

LE

True. I don't think Wherever I Go is about Mark and Kitty. It is more generic. It is about friendship in general. Mark talks about it in the track-by-track...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2015, 04:38:01 AM »
I am in total agreement with Marikblue! IMHO, this song needs to be the last song of the concerts, with Mark in the spotlight, by himself, and then another spotlight on the sax parts! I can't wait to see how MK adds guitar solos to this song, which I think can be the type of closer that Piper and Shangri-La were.....seeming to never end!!

And what's so bad with '80s saxophone? The music from the 2000's has been crap as far as I am concerned, while the '80s saw Making Movies, Love over Gold and of course BIA!
Don't you remember how awesome the sax intro to Your Latest Trick was? Chris White and MK at the Mandela Concert performing what I think is the GREATEST live performance of SOS! So to me the sax has a big part in Mark's past, so why not now?

I have decided since 1982 (although I loved DS from '77) to follow Mark's career and for him to take me along on this amazing journey, "Wherever I go" and he goes as well.

Saul

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
The sax just sounds out of place. The rest of the track doesn't sound like an 80s throwback, so why should the sax?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
Sometimes I think that MK should use his electric guitars more on the studio versions. I missed that on songs like Border Reiver, Piper To The End, Yon Two Crows and Kingdom Of Gold. Tracks like these is much better played live because of more guitar sound

I can also mention songs were the use of flute instead of guitar on the live versions nearly destroyed them. Songs like that could be What It Is and Wye Aye Man. There is a lot of great guitar sound on Tracker. And yes. I would have been very happy if also the first instrumental break on Wherever I Go was a Gibson solo  8)

P.S : What It Is album version is my all time favorite in MK's solo career  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:40:32 PM by Marikablue »
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

foma

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
The winning video was announced today. You can watch it here: https://www.talenthouse.com/i/587/submission/152472/77f0f4ac

Waiting it to appear on Mark's channel. No surprises — Mark selected an artist from Britain. What else you could expect?????????

foma

« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »
As expected, the guy with best camera won a competition. When it comes to visual arts, the quality comes first.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »
As expected, the guy with best camera won a competition. When it comes to visual arts, the quality comes first.

Yep, IMHO there were better alternatives, full of emotions and imagery. I wonder if MK took part on this decision or just let other to do the work. I guess, did he watch at least some of the videos?
Love over gold, mind over matter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.