Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Autograph  (Read 20819 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Autograph
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
I suppose MK's get out is that you can buy a signed litho if you really want his autograph.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:02 PM »
Glenn is also super-nice. I've met him twice, talked with him about 5 minutes one time, and he was so genuine.
I've been an MK fan since 1978 and would dearly love to meet him. Had kind of a chance a couple of times, but it just didn't feel right because he looked tired, so I chose not to bother him.
I would be so happy to get maybe a handshake and the chance to thank him for 37 years of music that always touches me, but then, I probably wouldn't be able to say anything he hasn't heard thousands of times before. He certainly doesn't owe me that opportunity, but still I keep hoping to catch him at an opportune time.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
The coolest autograph I have seen is the one Lis managed to get on her i-phone! A strange item to have an autograph on, but an item you get to have all the time with you!

I have a couple of autographs as well, from other fans. I got the two vinyls that ingridswing and knopflerfan witnessed being signed on the  Bridport event, by a person in front of them. He did do it in order to sell them, Ingridswing and Knopflerfan supposed correctly at the time. I knew that they were the real thing and I bought them for a reasonable price. I also have a Notting hillbillies album with all musicians signatures coming from a trusted collector. Unfortunately for me, it was the only way to obtain his autograph.

Getting an artists signature is almost a ritual,  supposed to make the bonding with the fan base and the artist tighter, both for those who do get the autograph as for the rest (that are way more) that try to.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
I have one on my old iphone (2010) and one on my newer one (2013 together with Lis).
But the latter one faded unfortunately (because I was hit by a wave in Iceland, the phone went wet as well, actually didn't work anymore either, but the autograph also disappeared, that's the worst part of this unvoluntary swim). So I need to do a new one. My old iphone 4 is save in his box with the autograph ;-)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
The coolest autograph I have seen is the one Lis managed to get on her i-phone! A strange item to have an autograph on, but an item you get to have all the time with you!

I have a couple of autographs as well, from other fans. I got the two vinyls that ingridswing and knopflerfan witnessed being signed on the  Bridport event, by a person in front of them. He did do it in order to sell them, Ingridswing and Knopflerfan supposed correctly at the time. I knew that they were the real thing and I bought them for a reasonable price. I also have a Notting hillbillies album with all musicians signatures coming from a trusted collector. Unfortunately for me, it was the only way to obtain his autograph.

Getting an artists signature is almost a ritual,  supposed to make the bonding with the fan base and the artist tighter, both for those who do get the autograph as for the rest (that are way more) that try to.   

Oh that has made my day! I'm so glad a genuine fan got those signed lps. The person was in front of Ingrid and me and I was so cross to see them on ebay that evening. I was cross because all they were obviously thinking of was money not whose signature they had managed to get..I have said and always will that in my eyes no money in the world is worth the Three Signatures I have espeically what the Signatures are on!.
I am still gobsmacked with the time I spent chatting with him and also that handshake that MK offered that afternoon - precious!!
Enjoy your lp's knowing they ARE genuine MK signatures...
Ps I would have bought them myself if I'd known they were gonna be sold.....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:13:33 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
We kind of "knew" that it would be sold, we concluded that already when standing in line for the autographs. But happy a real fan has it for a reasonable price  :thumbsup

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 07:12:02 AM »
Yes, you could just tell they were gonna be turned into cash at some point!! Vgonis - have you any pics of your signed lp's please....It would bring back happy memories as they were signed just in front of me!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
I will take photos and post them. Hopefully this weekend!   :wave
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Fantastic thankyou! Look forward to seeing them!!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
After waiting hours after the show in Glasgow 2001 the band finally emerged and I met Glenn and Mark who were kind enough to sign my tour book.  As Knopflerfan has said many times, it's the occasion and the memory that makes the autograph mean something otherwise it's merely ink on paper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062560246/in/album-72157631711400306/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062556473/in/album-72157631711400306/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062557703/in/album-72157631711400306/
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
After waiting hours after the show in Glasgow 2001 the band finally emerged and I met Glenn and Mark who were kind enough to sign my tour book.  As Knopflerfan has said many times, it's the occasion and the memory that makes the autograph mean something otherwise it's merely ink on paper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062560246/in/album-72157631711400306/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062556473/in/album-72157631711400306/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/8062557703/in/album-72157631711400306/

I agree dmg!   An autograph means nothing unless it's signed in front of me and I can remember everything that happened at the time!   Paying for one from ebay would be meaningless!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
Very nice photo's DMG.
At Bridport, MK would not let anyone take any photo's of him signing which we all respected.
Mandy did take a photo (as you have all seen) of MK coming over to sign for us.

It is most definately about the occasion (I am still gobsmacked that I have met him!!) chatting to him and the handshake! but it is still great to obtain a proper Signature (or three) from the master.

I still can't tell anyone enough about how meeting MK has changed me!!!! (I guess as a guitarist who has grown up admiring MK and it's also because his music means so much in life to me)

If it is solely a signature that you require then really the only way 'properly' except meeting MK himself is to buy a tour Litho like Dusty suggested...NEVER EBAY!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:14:14 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Very nice photo's DMG.
At Bridport, MK would not let anyone take any photo's of him signing which we all respected.

It is most definately about the occasion (I am still gobsmacked that I have met him!!) chatting to him and the handshake! but it is still great to obtain a proper Signature (or three) from the master.

I still can't tell anyone enough about how meeting MK has changed me!!!! (I guess as a guitarist who has grown up admiring MK and it's also because his music means so much in life to me)

If it is solely a signature that you require then really the only way 'properly' except meeting MK himself is to buy a tour Litho like Dusty suggested...NEVER EBAY!!

He still never recorded I Think I Love You Too Much like I told him too though.   :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »

[/quote

Thanks alot DMG for sharing your so priceless memories!! And No I will never buy an autographed item from Ebay because it would not be mine!!!  :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Very nice photo's DMG.

He still never recorded I Think I Love You Too Much like I told him too though.   :(

That quite beautiful track should have made OES, IMHO... Anyway moving on..... :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.