Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Songs played on rehearsals and soundchecks that didn’t get played live on tour  (Read 6103 times)

OfflineTelegraph

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
The subject speaks for itself. Are there any knowledge on the forum about songs that DS or MK rehearsed that wasn’t played live?
For example On every street on some MK tour (although it was finally played in 2019).

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
The Man’s Too Strong was rehearsed for 2008.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Silvertown and Portobello Belle were rehearsed in Munich 2001 but never played that tour.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
The subject speaks for itself. Are there any knowledge on the forum about songs that DS or MK rehearsed that wasn’t played live?
For example On every street on some MK tour (although it was finally played in 2019).
On Every Street was played in 2015 for the first time, in Milwaukee.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Apparently, some desirable songs from Down The Road was in the works for 2019 tour. I remember Guy said they "tried" "One Song At A Time" or something. But unfortunately, lately Mark write songs he can't even perform on stage, so I think it's pretty understandable why many of the great tracks are abscent from live shows. I think "Lights Of Taormina" Mark would love to play it 100%, but it's just too hard to sing it for 80 shows in a row. Another reason why he'd better slow down!

Love Expresso

I remember that Guy showed the planned rehearsal list for the cancelled 2003 tour after Mark's motorcrash. If I remember correctly, The Man's Too Strong was already on that list, too. Other from that there were astonishingly few Dire Straits songs in the make from that year on.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Apparently, some desirable songs from Down The Road was in the works for 2019 tour. I remember Guy said they "tried" "One Song At A Time" or something. But unfortunately, lately Mark write songs he can't even perform on stage, so I think it's pretty understandable why many of the great tracks are abscent from live shows. I think "Lights Of Taormina" Mark would love to play it 100%, but it's just too hard to sing it for 80 shows in a row. Another reason why he'd better slow down!

Wonder why he didn't at least give OSAAT a go 'live' unless he struggled with it?? It's quite a simple tune compared to some that I can't imagine them not being able to play it?!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:34:37 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
To my (limited) knowledge, we know very few about songs that were played during rehearsals and not on tour, whether with Dire Straits or solo. But we know more about stuff played during promos and never after, which is a pity. I'm thinking of an excellent version of Fade to black that was played in 2000, a few songs from the Ragpicker's dream, Everybody pays in 2004 and all the stuff from the KTGC album that was performed in 2007 and never after, except for True love will never fade. I may forget a few others too over the years. It also questions Mark's choice concerning "conservative" set-lists but it's been debated here a million times already. I loved Mark's shows but I wish he had varied a lot more, at least from one tour to another.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Are you thinking of this excellent version of 'Fade to Black' that was played Live on a Polish TV broadcast?

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
I downloaded at somepoint a soundcheck of "Terminal Of Tribute To" before Tracker tour. It is a shame they did not choose to do it. Great song.
Cheers Peter

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
I downloaded at somepoint a soundcheck of "Terminal Of Tribute To" before Tracker tour. It is a shame they did not choose to do it. Great song.

Yes, and what a great version it was too - but obviously it was never to materialise again....

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado

I haven‘t heard about a soundcheck of TOTT. Where can this be found or downloaded?
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Trapper man and Back on the dance floor were rehearsed for the last tour.

OES was rehearsed from 2005 and 2008 I think, or at least between the candidates.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Here's the tracks released for the cancelled RPD tour that have never been played on tour:

quality shoe
old pigweed

Obviously we heard these on promo events but not a tour.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 12:40:28 PM by dmg »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Trapper man and Back on the dance floor were rehearsed for the last tour.

OES was rehearsed from 2005 and 2008 I think, or at least between the candidates.

It was also rehearsed for the cancelled RPD tour in 2003 with Fats Kaplin on pedal steel.  That would've been interesting.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.