Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK event Sept. 27  (Read 50085 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: MK event Sept. 27
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Wow oh bloody hell wow!!! 1hr 25mins of chat and playing... Usual suspects played including rudiger, sailing, sultans, brothers and also a complete local hero!! Then afterwards Ingrid and I met our hero!! My three Mark knopfler strat hang tags signed but I skipped a kiss..... Speak later as lunch is waiting...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
Wow oh bloody hell wow!!! 1hr 25mins of chat and playing... Usual suspects played including rudiger, sailing, sultans, brothers and also a complete local hero!! Then afterwards Ingrid and I met our hero!! My three Mark knopfler strat hang tags signed but I skipped a kiss..... Speak later as lunch is waiting...

Thank you Knopflerfan!    Lucky you, I am so pleased for you and Ingrid......and a little bit envious too!    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »

OMG !!!!! meeting Mark.  :thumbsup :clap :clap Please please more report on the show and the meeting Mark part.  Hope Ingrid got many kisses and hugs from Mark for all the ladies here.   ;) ;) 

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
 no kisses for Ingrid, as she didnt want to be a 'Rudiger'!!! Anyway will post more including a few photos later but the event HAS been recorded by the both of us so watch this space... By the way I opted for a handshake rather than a kiss!!! One very happy knopflerfan as you can imagine

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Was Guy there too - did you meet him? 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »

Very nice to hear Knopflerfan!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »

Guy was there but no time for a chat. He left very quick. MK took time to sign stuff, shake hands.
Two ladies asked and got a kiss, as mentioned I didn't want to be a rudiger.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:45:53 PM by ingridswing »

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
hi folks
I'm happy for you that you have seen Mark play just a few hours ago, I'm really eager to know everything about of today MK'concert......very compliments
straitsway75

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
Sat in sunny weymouth at the moment showing Ingrid some of our fabulous sites on the South Coast. I honestly think todays show was far, far better than at Hay on Wye... Mark was really talkative and again very humble about himself and the playing was marvellous! Again afterwards he was very sociable and happily signed items for a small number of us!! I still cant believe ive met, shaken hands with & obtained three signatures from my No.1 hero!! Ingrid & Mandy will tell you how happy I am!!! Speakio later... Ps recording has come out well!!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »
I'm very happy for you, Knopflerfan - I know how much it meant to you.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »
It was very enjoyable. In fact, I enjoyed it immensely - better than some concerts I've been to. Terrific stuff - and I'm not prone to praise too easily.

It took a short while to really get going. Mark seemed to be largely winging it and was slightly hesitant when answering questions - as though trying to select the right words or phrases. He made reference to people at weddings, not used to public speaking, whose hands shake a little at the start. It it was a bit like that but it soon got going and he relaxed a lot.  He began to smile a bit more. Guy was largely there for moral support, I thought, and contributed only a little to the actual proceedings.

The bit about having to play certain sequences of notes in a particular way was fascinating. It is partly because these were just the right ones for the particular song, partly because it is what listeners associate with the song and partly because, having established that, it then gave him freedom to improvise. I have paraphrased him badly but you may get the sense.  And he played some sample phrases to demonstrate this.

The questions were pretty good, too (none of the "explain this song to me" type and nobody gushing too much) and he gave them considered answers.

The other members of the little group I was with briefly met Guy beforehand but I was elsewhere and we didn't hang around afterwards.

. And, yes, I did buy more things in T. Snook's wonderful emporium - not a hat [See much earlier posting]

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Sounded like a fabulous event and I'm so glad that we had members there to really appreciate this (more or less) unique experience.  I'm talking here about listening to Sultans being played live! ;D

The Q&A session seems moderately interesting too although I've often thought that I'd be bored by questions from anyone else but the hardcore fans such as ourselves. 

Great also that Knopflerfan and Ingrid got to meet the man himself.  No one filmed that did they? ;D

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Only bits and pieces of songs were played, only Local Hero as a whole. MK didn't want pictures, so no film or photo of it. Indeed the part that he showed why BIA only can be done with that start was fascinating.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »

Guy was there but no time for a chat. He left very quick. MK took time to sign stuff, shake hands.
Two ladies asked and got a kiss, as mentioned I didn't want to be a rudiger.

I bet you those two ladies are very very happyyyyyy !!!! And many ladies here are very very envious !!!!  ;) Did you get a photo with Mark at least ?  I can't wait to hear the recording. 

twm, thanks for your detailed reviews also.  What sort of questions were asked ? Any that stood out in particular ? 

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
In respect of lyrics, specifically being able to write about almost anything, Mark said that Dylan was his inspiration. In the course of this, he added that he had attended a Dylan concert at Newcastle Odeon when the first half was solo acoustic  and the second half was with the band (who later became The Band). That was 21 May 1966, for those of you who like to keep a note of such things. He said the sound in the second half was loud, that some people booed but he thought it was great.

He also made passing references to the two recent tours with Bob Dylan.  He said that Bob had asked him if he was going to play a particular song and, when he answered that he would, Dylan was pleased as it was song he played when painting (that's canvases, not walls - though, knowing "Mr Bob", it could be walls, too). Mark didn't specifically identify the song, said he would do so later but didn't. I guess it was one of the songs he excerpted in the course of the event.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.