Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (6) Tunnel 13  (Read 5919 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: (6) Tunnel 13
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2024, 10:46:13 AM »
Fair enough :) I'm glad there are songs for everbody on all MK albums.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2024, 08:54:48 PM »
I really can't believe that he include the lines telling the wood of his guitar comes from Tunnel 13, LOL

I know exactly what you mean and I thought about it. The complete lyrics are in the style of a street ballad (in German an ancient word would be "Moritat".).The street Balladeer tells the listeners stories about evil bloody crimes (the character in Madame Geneva would be such a person). The end is always moralizing, judging. I think MK takes the role of a balladeer here. Though the words of these people were rhyming, they were not seen as a very high art, and with this in mind his somewhat "unpoetic" last sentence about his guitar makes perfect sense to me. I hope I make myself clear. It is done on purpose as a stylistic device.

I listened a couple of times now and it is growing on me (Dutchessy  :wave  ;D)

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2024, 09:45:03 PM »
Dieses alte Rotholz hat eine schrecklichen Geschichte, die zeigt: Selbst blutige Gewalt kann indirekt etwas Positives bewirken. Denn das Material für meine Gitarren stammt aus dem Tunnel – dem Schienenholz von damals. Es hat eine unglaublich gute Qualität und einen makabren Hintergrund: Ein grausames Verbrechen

https://www.waz.de/kultur/article242069282/Ist-One-Deep-River-Mark-Knopflers-letztes-Album.html

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2024, 09:50:49 PM »
I really can't believe that he include the lines telling the wood of his guitar comes from Tunnel 13, LOL

I know exactly what you mean and I thought about it. The complete lyrics are in the style of a street ballad (in German an ancient word would be "Moritat".).The street Balladeer tells the listeners stories about evil bloody crimes (the character in Madame Geneva would be such a person). The end is always moralizing, judging. I think MK takes the role of a balladeer here. Though the words of these people were rhyming, they were not seen as a very high art, and with this in mind his somewhat "unpoetic" last sentence about his guitar makes perfect sense to me. I hope I make myself clear. It is done on purpose as a stylistic device.

LE

Listing the names, as he does in Remembrance Day, gives the song a sense of realism and makes the story all the more potent.  That's how I view it anyway.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2024, 10:07:34 PM »
The way he sings this song reminded me of the way he sings Back to Tupelo and Terminal of Tribute To, a mix of these two, at least for me!
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2024, 10:09:49 PM »

LE

Listing the names, as he does in Remembrance Day, gives the song a sense of realism and makes the story all the more potent.  That's how I view it anyway.

Indeed, the names made me also think of Remembrance Day immediately. Realism is exactly the right word for what he is trying here. I love when he does that.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2024, 10:16:14 PM »
Anyone notice a little slip by Mark on the guitar at approximately 2:34 after he sings "fireman Marvin Seng".

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2024, 10:55:39 PM »
Emotionally reminiscent of Dream of the Drowned Submariner for me, it hits in a way an MK song hasn't touched me for some time. Great suspenseful, sad lyrics, great musical choices and an easy standout for me so far.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2024, 10:41:43 AM »
Even more a very strong contender for 2nd fave track after One Deep River having heard MK talk a little about this track when I saw him in London for the album release event. He spoke passionately about the Redwood used to make his guitars and the connection with tunnel 13...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2024, 02:48:10 PM »
Anyone notice a little slip by Mark on the guitar at approximately 2:34 after he sings "fireman Marvin Seng".

Funny story on "slips" here:
https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/threads/mark-knopfler.10586/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2024, 02:53:24 PM »
Thinking about the redwood... I'm not sure if the connection was intended, but for me there's a parallel to so-called "blood diamonds": diamonds mined in a war zone and sold to finance an insurgency, an invading army's war efforts, terrorism, or a warlord's activity. With the redwood it's similar, if "red" stands for blood.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2024, 03:52:44 PM »

Nope...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineCamerado84

• Guitar George
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2024, 06:04:08 PM »
There is such a thing. Damn, I didn't notice until I read your post. And what is it in the end, a jamb of mastering/mixing?
We haven't changed since ancient times...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2024, 06:32:47 PM »
There is such a thing. Damn, I didn't notice until I read your post. And what is it in the end, a jamb of mastering/mixing?

Haven't a clue, sorry.  Recording glitch or mistake by Mark?  I can't help but notice it either and it's annoying.  I'm very surprised nobody else has noticed it.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2024, 06:57:21 PM »

Haven't a clue, sorry.  Recording glitch or mistake by Mark?  I can't help but notice it either and it's annoying.  I'm very surprised nobody else has noticed it.

Blimey it's the most miniscules of slips that until dmg said anything I didn't notice myself....
I still have a job to notice it when I keep playing this beautiful track - you have to be really concentrating at the certain point to really notice. Perhaps you notice it more when you're not doing a great deal?!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.