Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark the Guitarist on ODR  (Read 1614 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Mark the Guitarist on ODR
« on: April 14, 2024, 10:01:04 PM »
After a number of listens now I have come to the sad conclusion he’s done, and even sadder probably not by choice.  I’m therefore at pains to be too critical but he appears to refuse solos where I expect them and when he does take the opportunity, such as the title track, it is very soon taken over by Greg.

It is also notable that his guitar has been buried low in the mix and I can’t believe they let that inaccuracy go in Tunnel 13 - is that the best they can do?  If he didn’t hear himself play that in the studio then perhaps put the headphones on! 

Any solos he does take sound very simple, very slow, very short and very uninspired.

I just listened to Pale Imitation a few moments ago and the solo is in a different league to anything on ODR.

There are a few really good songs on this album but for me, having been a fan since 1985, it is quite emotional listening to it.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark the Guitarist on ODR
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 10:05:37 PM »
I'm just thinking what are you really expecting at this stage in his life? There are some very powerful solo's, simple yes but these songs need nothing of his younger caliber. Indeed there arevsome spaces where there could have been something but it's not the be all and end all. As for the inaccuracy as you call it, we'll Blimey it's part of the 'knopfler bend' going into the next note....Fantastic album in my eyes...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 10:08:22 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 10:08:55 PM »
I'm just thinking what are you expecting at this stage in his life? There are some very powerful solo's and indeed some spaces where there could have been something but it's not the be all and end all. As for the inaccuracy as you call it, we'll Blimey it's part of the 'knopfler bend' going into the next note....Fantastic album in my eyes...

To be honest, after the last tour hopes weren't high, but I thought between himself and Guy they might have been able to conjure up some magic and make it sound good in the studio.  Alas, it appears that even with time in his own studio he is unable to perform now.   :'(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 10:12:32 PM »
I'm just thinking what are you expecting at this stage in his life? There are some very powerful solo's and indeed some spaces where there could have been something but it's not the be all and end all. As for the inaccuracy as you call it, we'll Blimey it's part of the 'knopfler bend' going into the next note....Fantastic album in my eyes...

To be honest, after the last tour hopes weren't high, but I thought between himself and Guy they might have been able to conjure up some magic and make it sound good in the studio.  Alas, it appears that even with time in his own studio he is unable to perform now.   :'(

????? I'm at pains to say I'm not sure you get this album. It is certainly in my eyes a classic senior Knopfler album full of very well thought out songs. The lyrics are awesome and the tunes up there with some of his best. I feel sad you don't feel the same.

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 10:15:32 PM »
I thought the guitar fitted the songs…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 10:18:21 PM »

I respect your statement although it is the opposite of everything I think.about the album. Your post reminds me of the feelings I had when DTRW happened together with the tour. In fact it made me going away from MK completely for nearly three years. Now I am totally satisfied and happy with this new release and think of it as a powerful and brilliant comeback. I never expected it to be that good. I know you are a very critical guy and I find it sad that you think so negative of this great release.

About that "inaccuracy" though I honestly think you must be kidding!  :wave

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 10:22:53 PM »

Doesn't it just, from little phrases to nice little licks the album has plenty of 'The Masters' guitar fills.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 10:23:53 PM »

Being sarcastic here?

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 10:26:07 PM »
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 10:28:34 PM »
Hard to tell from your posts sometimes.  :lol

Give it some more listens. Six years of work deserve some more than just one.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 10:29:54 PM »

LE

And without headphones too. Let the music flow...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 10:38:06 PM »
I'm just thinking what are you really expecting at this stage in his life? There are some very powerful solo's, simple yes but these songs need nothing of his younger caliber. Indeed there arevsome spaces where there could have been something but it's not the be all and end all. As for the inaccuracy as you call it, we'll Blimey it's part of the 'knopfler bend' going into the next note....Fantastic album in my eyes...

I totally agree with you Knopflerfan. Our man is almost 75. He is not the guitar god only anymore. But my goodness, what an album he released. It is the highest quality of songwriting, lyrics, music as you can dream of. We already know for years that there are not the old DS solo’s. Didn’t expect it this time either. But what we got is a truly gem. Everything fits together. Had about 5 listens of the whole album and some more to some songs. It seems to me that there are no skippers. That’s new to me. Listening the total album again now. For me it seems it will be the best solo album as a whole.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 10:40:14 PM »

LE

And without headphones too. Let the music flow...

I can’t agree more. Let the music flow. Listen to it in your room without ear phones, without anyone around. You will hear more and more in every song. Unbelievable quality!

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 10:40:59 PM »
This is a very solid album in every aspect.. up there amongst his best!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 10:51:23 PM »

I totally agree with you Knopflerfan. Our man is almost 75. He is not the guitar god only anymore. But my goodness, what an album he released. It is the highest quality of songwriting, lyrics, music as you can dream of. We already know for years that there are not the old DS solo’s. Didn’t expect it this time either. But what we got is a truly gem. Everything fits together. Had about 5 listens of the whole album and some more to some songs. It seems to me that there are no skippers. That’s new to me. Listening the total album again now. For me it seems it will be the best solo album as a whole.

100% agree with all you have said Ingridswing! Good to have caught up with you on Friday by the way, and good to see you back in your rightful place on the forum!
I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to have see MK once again and have a better understanding as to some of the song histories and also thankful that he has found the energy to release such a powerful album which like you state is certainly one of his best. One thing I must add is 'The Masters' singing on this album and bonus is immense!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 10:53:36 PM by Knopflerfan »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.