Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 35:2013.06.15, Malm  (Read 17205 times)

Offlinesailtekxo

• Guitar George
Re: Concert # 35:2013.06.15, Malm
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
So the song they've rehearsed in Stavanger should be Back To Tupelo -- it fits with the picture, Mike plays guitar on it, capo is on the second fret and there's the F-Chord played in the chorus when playing with the capo.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Lucky again!! Shook hands with MK as the RRs pulled up to the arena! And got me an autograph :wave

you were running next to the Range Rover ???

lol.......congratulations, will be a gift to remember !!

Enjoy the show :wave

No running at all, the sun was out as me and a pal sat waiting by the load in gate to kill some time.

The show was amazing, I can only concurr with what the rest of you guys throughout Europe have had to say! Only letdown was obviously the lack of Sultans. But then again, what a fantastic performance music wise.

All in all, extremely happy  :)

Getting Marks autograph while killing time???.......you lucky.....  ;D (off course I was joking)

Glad you had such a good time!
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
So the song they've rehearsed in Stavanger should be Back To Tupelo -- it fits with the picture, Mike plays guitar on it, capo is on the second fret and there's the F-Chord played in the chorus when playing with the capo.

Most likely,
Back to Tupelo is in the key of Bm existing of the   :Bm,A,G,G6                    &D chords.
so with a capo on the second fret you can play the :Am,G,G(6)barre 3rdpos. &C chords
On the picture you can see Mike playing the G-barre (E-shape) in 3rd position.

And he uses the same guitar during "Back to Tupelo" as the guitar on the picture

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
thanks all!

correct me if I'm wrong ( and thats a big chance) , but this is the second time with the Cardiff gig that both the "anti" Elvis's manager songs "Back to Tupelo" and "Gator Blood" were played :think
One of my favorites gig.
They also played both songs in Milan and Berlin.
I was in Milan and BTT sounded so brilliant !
Brilliant enough to replace YTC.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
thanks all!

correct me if I'm wrong ( and thats a big chance) , but this is the second time with the Cardiff gig that both the "anti" Elvis's manager songs "Back to Tupelo" and "Gator Blood" were played :think
One of my favorites gig.

Thanks for helping out a lazy person tunnel85, you've got it completely right
so its the fourth time both songs were played during a concert.

I am now listening to Milan's version of BTT, great version indeed  :thumbsup

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Guy's diary: 'The Malmo venue is familiar, we played here with 'you know who' in 2011'

;D

If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
Guy's diary: 'The Malmo venue is familiar, we played here with 'you know who' in 2011'

;D

He can't write Crusty like we do ;-)

Love Expresso

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
I really wonder if this subliminal "Bob-bashing" that takes place since the 2012 tour is a Guy-thing alone or if Mark (in private) has made the odd statement about Bob Dylan, too. I really feel astonished about it - remember the 2011 tour and the last gigs at Hammersmith when everything was glourious and great.
But I don't want to open a new Dylan-discussion here, it is obviously some kind of "running gag" from Guy's side..

LE

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

He can't write Krusty like we do ;-)

Fixed  ;D

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
thanks all!

One of my favorites gig.
Tunnel... coming from you, that says a lot!!!  So, I gave it a listen, and it is amazing!!!   ... But I still want to hear YTC. :-\
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 05:52:20 AM »
Lucky again!! Shook hands with MK as the RRs pulled up to the arena! And got me an autograph :wave

I'm sooooo jealous !!!  You're soooo LUCKY !!!!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »

Most likely,
Back to Tupelo is in the key of Bm existing of the   :Bm,A,G,G6                    &D chords.
so with a capo on the second fret you can play the :Am,G,G(6)barre 3rdpos. &C chords

And he uses the same guitar during "Back to Tupelo" as the guitar on the picture

"so with a capo on the second fret you can play the :Am,G,G(6)barre 3rdpos. &C chords"

I'd rather say : Am, G, F, F(6) and C chords if you are in the "virtual" key of C.
And the F chord is played in the E shape, if you want, but to me, it's the way to play a F chord, if you imagine the capo being the end of the neck.

and, BTW, there a lot more chords on Tupelo than the few quoted here  ;)

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »

Most likely,

"so with a capo on the second fret you can play the :Am,G,G(6)barre 3rdpos. &C chords"

I'd rather say : Am, G, F, F(6) and C chords if you are in the "virtual" key of C.
And the F chord is played in the E shape, if you want, but to me, it's the way to play a F chord, if you imagine the capo being the end of the neck.

yeah I guess in tab books it will be printed as a F(6) when the capo is on second fret.
that's why I wrote G(6) BARRE in third position, which is an E-shape chord and a capo has no influence because the chord use no open-string(s), but tab wise you are right. :smack
what if the D was played on the fifth fret in an A shape, we would call it a D barre in the fifth position (A-shape), thats why I wrote a G barre in third position (E shape or F shape if it feels better )  :hmm

how many (main) chords am I missing..................? :think

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »

Most likely,

yeah I guess in tab books it will be printed as a F(6) when the capo is on second fret.
that's why I wrote G(6) BARRE in third position, which is an E-shape chord and a capo has no influence because the chord use no open-string(s), but tab wise you are right. :smack
what if the D was played on the fifth fret in an A shape, we would call it a D barre in the fifth position (A-shape), thats why I wrote a G barre in third position (E shape or F shape if it feels better )  :hmm

Well in fact, not so many, but 2 important chords in the song harmony, especially for the solos :
Dm, and C7M, and the C7 during the chorus

check fabulous Foma's work here :
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/shangri-la_album_crd.htm

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

Most likely,

Well in fact, not so many, but 2 important chords in the song harmony, especially for the solos :
Dm, and C7M, and the C7 during the chorus

check fabulous Foma's work here :
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/shangri-la_album_crd.htm

notice that the Dm(/F) becomes an Em(/G) ( in third position) when played in Bm and for that capo-ed on the second fret.
Em   (3rd pos.)   XX5453
Em/G(3rd pos.)  3X5453
G6     (3rd pos.)  3X5453

As you see no much difference with the G6 chord

I prefer the G6 above the DM7 because it flows more "radical"  into the A chord although they have no note in common,
I am not sure what Mark plays.

DM7 (2nd pos.) X54222  D F# A C# (capo-ed 2nd fret)
G6    (open)      32X43X  G B D       (capo-ed 2nd fret)

off course I give you credit for the D7  ;D

Try here with the song simultaneously :
http://achords.com/chords/mark-knopfler/back-to-tupelo/

thx mate  :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.