Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock / Groove themes?  (Read 7696 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Rock / Groove themes?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »
I don't like Old Pigweed either.  :P

Fletch, download Hillfarmer's Blues as well, great track.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
Well I hope he will play "Sucker Row" on the Get Lucky tour. It is great and has place for some variation. The end of that song also offers great opportunities to link it with another song...

Great groove, to stay on topic here, has also "El Macho", I really like this song. There is not so much MK guitar in it but a lot of tension, and the "real"
horns are far better than the synth sound in "Coyote", which is a song I would never imagine to hear live, until I read Guy

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
I'd love to hear 'Punish The Monkey' from KTGC on the GL tour.
For me, that has a GREAT groove. :)

Another song, although it's on Guy's album, it has some AMAZING guitar work from MK.
And for me is REALLY GROOVY. And that is the song 'Different World'

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
lol. By the time this is finished i may have bought all the albums!  ;)

I`ll check out the other songs mentioned, thanks heaps. Celtic love ballads need not apply!

Incidentally, Dusty, i know how you feel. I think i`m the only DS fan in the world that can live without Romeo & Juliet, the lyrics are sublime and i`m glad the song exists, but i`m bored when i watch live versions. Heresy i know!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
Incidentally, Dusty, i know how you feel. I think i`m the only DS fan in the world that can live without Romeo & Juliet, the lyrics are sublime and i`m glad the song exists, but i`m bored when i watch live versions. Heresy i know!

Looks like we're kindered spirits then, I actually took the opportunity to go to the toilet and then phone my wife when R&J was being played in Newcastle last year. I still like it, but I've just heard it too many times now.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »

Looks like we're kindered spirits then, I actually took the opportunity to go to the toilet and then phone my wife when R&J was being played in Newcastle last year. I still like it, but I've just heard it too many times now.
same here, actually used it on every show where i had to pee in between.
i cannot hear it anymore, only the electric outro  is ok. start the stoning....... ;D
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »
While R&J is always impressive - which does not go for Sultans anymore - it has been done to death, as with much of his classic material. I noticed Setting Me Up on Guy's rehearsal list for the KTGC tour and it would really have helped the encore portion of the show. There are so many great tracks that are never given a chance. Telegraph Road is perhaps Mark's finest hour as a guitarist these days but it's just so long and there are many songs I would like to hear live sometime.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 01:37:44 PM »
Yeah, they could easily have dropped So Far Away and replaced it with Setting Me Up. Would have given John McCusker a chance to play some wild fiddle at the end of it too.

As it was, lets face facts, apart from the whistles on BiA John McCusker didn't really have much to do on the encores.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
I must say i did like the inclusion of Why Worry recently - and although it was dome as a duet with Emmy - i think this SORT of song could be brought forward - and SFA could be consigned to the cupboard for a while.... :)

Other Inclusions could be -

We Could get wild
You Latest trick
TOL - Obviously!
Down to the Waterline - to replace SOS
The Man's Too Stong
I'm the Fool
Everybody Pays

Ah - such choice and opportunities..... ???
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
In my opinion, the KTGC tour is generally overrated among fans on the net. Cannibals was a so-so opener, there was as lack of rock songs, the encore section lacked surprises and energy, Mark's playing was not up to his usual standards, and some of the best songs from KTGC weren't played (We Can Get Wild, for example). As always, unnecessarily many of the songs were from previous tours.

I'm very glad we got HFB and Marbletown, though. Those are really the ones that deserve to be remembered if one compares this tour to previous ones. What It Is was nice with the fiddle but I missed the first guitar solo. Removing a guitar solo? Oh, come on.

This is getting off topic I suppose.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
In my opinion, the KTGC tour is generally overrated among fans on the net. Cannibals was a so-so opener, there was as lack of rock songs, the encore section lacked surprises and energy, Mark's playing was not up to his usual standards, and some of the best songs from KTGC weren't played (We Can Get Wild, for example). As always, unnecessarily many of the songs were from previous tours.

I'm very glad we got HFB and Marbletown, though. Those are really the ones that deserve to be remembered if one compares this tour to previous ones. What It Is was nice with the fiddle but I missed the first guitar solo. Removing a guitar solo? Oh, come on.

This is getting off topic I suppose.

I don't think we worry about things being off topic round here, that's why this is the best MK forum in the world - it's by the fans, for the fans.  ;)

But I agree with you, the tour was over-rated. Everyone seemed to think it was the best ever just because McCusker was there, but no way was it as good as 96, or even 2001 IMO.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »
I think that 1996, "Golden Heart" was the best tour too.  It was my first "album" concert and I was in seventh heaven!  The concert was about three hours long and songs from every  era of DS  and also MK's soundtrack works were played. I stood directly in front of MK and even had one of the "heavies" looking after me, so that I could see everything! 

I really loved KTGC also - it was magical!  I was at the first two nights in Amsterdam and it was lovely not to know which songs would be played and to meet for the first time lots of members of this forum.  Also songs from my favourite MK album, "The Ragpicker's Dream" were played.  It certainly wasn't overrated and, for me, it wasn't because John McCusker was playing, because one of my favourite recordings is from Red Rocks and JM was not present at that concert.

I really loved the "Shangri-La" tour too.  This is also one of my favourite albums and the performance, imo, at Edinburgh was sublime.

For me, though, unfortunately STP at the RAH was the worst concert I attended by MK.  I came home feeling really depressed, partly because I was too far away from the stage and didn't feel part of it all and, frankly, MK's playing didn't do anything for me either.  It was a very low part of being an MK fan for me and it took a lot to get me on-board again.  I wasn't too partial to Mike Henderson either - imo his guitar was just too strident. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 04:12:34 AM »
For me, though, unfortunately STP at the RAH was the worst concert I attended by MK.  I came home feeling really depressed, partly because I was too far away from the stage and didn't feel part of it all and, frankly, MK's playing didn't do anything for me either. 

Wow, thats sad. Were these tours after MKs bike accident? Or maybe MK was feeling uninspired too?

I don`t know much about his solo touring, life, but those B-sides and outtakes are awesome. Is Tall Order Baby about what i think its about? Cheeky without being straight up rude?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 06:38:16 AM »
I think that 1996, "Golden Heart" was the best tour too.  It was my first "album" concert and I was in seventh heaven!  The concert was about three hours long and songs from every  era of DS  and also MK's soundtrack works were played. I stood directly in front of MK and even had one of the "heavies" looking after me, so that I could see everything! 

I really loved KTGC also - it was magical!  I was at the first two nights in Amsterdam and it was lovely not to know which songs would be played and to meet for the first time lots of members of this forum.  Also songs from my favourite MK album, "The Ragpicker's Dream" were played.  It certainly wasn't overrated and, for me, it wasn't because John McCusker was playing, because one of my favourite recordings is from Red Rocks and JM was not present at that concert.

I really loved the "Shangri-La" tour too.  This is also one of my favourite albums and the performance, imo, at Edinburgh was sublime.

For me, though, unfortunately STP at the RAH was the worst concert I attended by MK.  I came home feeling really depressed, partly because I was too far away from the stage and didn't feel part of it all and, frankly, MK's playing didn't do anything for me either.  It was a very low part of being an MK fan for me and it took a lot to get me on-board again.  I wasn't too partial to Mike Henderson either - imo his guitar was just too strident. 

I think the 96 tour was the best in terms of his behaviour to fans. He was very friendly and thankful to see so many fans after his big break with DS. But his voice was an entire grunt, only the guitar playing was great. Although we all know that singing is not his best musical skill ever...
I was quite shocked when I listened to that IEM lately and realised how bad his singing is...when ever he sings Shangri La live you get approval for that.

I've met MK a lot of times and my best tour was STP. I was at so many soundchecks and aftershows and on guestlists, that made it for me! ;-)

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
Judging from bootlegs, STP tour generally featured strong guitar performances by Mark, whereas I feel that the playing was sometimes weaker on the KTGC tour. But, while his fast guitar playing may have become less strong over the years, his singing improved after he quit smoking and is generally better after 2000 since he has a wider vocal range. I remember hearing HFB on the album in the beginning and I could hardly believe it was him singing those high "So bad" notes. Live, of course, his voice turns coarse after some touring but it's still overall better than before.

Another cool, groovy tune is the title track from Wag the Dog. Can you wag the dog?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 40 queries.