Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: seat exchange between BD/MK slots  (Read 43083 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: seat exchange between BD/MK slots
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
You could, of course, reverse the question and ask why, as musicians, performers of the stature of Santana, Van Morrison and Leon Russel would wish to join Dylan on tour. And now Mark Knopfler.

Because Bob Dylan is a legend, and he was already a legend before they started their own careers? or in some cases, at the same time more or less?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Dylan doesn't "need" to bring in support acts. He has played many shows without any support. Equally, he has played many shows with support acts. Quite possibly, he just likes to ring the changes from time to time. To make things a bit different, perhaps, but certainly not out of "need".

I guess it might expand his potential audience a bit. Out of those who are really there to see the support act, a proportion (perhaps a small proportion) might end up buying his albums or going to more of his concerts.

It is believed that he sometimes asks promoters to put him in some cities and /or venues he hasn't played before.  Again, it's a change for him. For example, he played a couple of summer tours around smaller, often old-style baseball stadia - with others on the bill - partly to help out these smaller clubs/venues and partly because it made for family outings (that is, with more than one generation of a family present) but also because it was somewhere new, with a different audience. The others on the bill were intended, in my opinion, to attract a wider spectrum of people.

For the coming tour (and assuming that Dylan's people approached Knopfler's people and not the other way round), the question is: why invite Knopfler? As opposed to someone, for example, a bit cheaper?

Someone put the theory to me that it was Knopfler, concerned about the upcoming mini-tour by The Straits, made himself available for touring and that Dylan's long-mooted tour just happened to be the one that he latched on to. Sounds a bit far-fetched to me but, then, you never know with these superstarry people.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
I've been reading the ER forum a bit lately and even the staunchest of Dylan fans concede that without MK on the bill, Dylan would not be able to fill the huge European venues that MK is able to fill on his own, so it seems that Dylan definitely "needs" MK for this tour.  

I wouldn't have thought that MK would have gone to so much trouble (postponing his album, etc) to tour with BD because he was so concerned about The Straits!  The Straits are not important and I agree, it is far-fetched!

The reason I think he's postponing his album is because there is unlikely to be a tour in 2012.   Why?   It is Olympics year and although it doesn't coincide with Mark's usual week in London, The Queen's Diamond Jubilee most definitely does and there will be lot's of celebrations and probably things happening at the RAH during the first week of June, which is MK's usual slot.  Not to mention booked-up hotels!   People don't have so much money to spend these days either, when everything happens together!

I think MK saw Bob's tour as something he could easily fit in,  to enjoy touring with his hero and then release the album in 2012 with the tour following in 2013, when Olympics, etc are over!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:38:32 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

( )

The reason I think he's postponing his album is because there is unlikely to be a tour in 2012.   Why?   It is Olympics year and although it doesn't coincide with Mark's usual week in London, The Queen's Diamond Jubilee most definitely does and there will be lot's of celebrations and probably things happening at the RAH during the first week of June, which is MK's usual slot.  Not to mention booked-up hotels!   People don't have so much money to spend these days either, when everything happens together!

MK

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
The Get Lucky tour ended on 4th June, so did STP.    The Queen's Jubilee will be the first week of June also!    If it happens, Spring 2012 will be perfect for me!  Just like Golden Heart!   ;D  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:06:44 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Well, I hope for a 2012 tour. Olympic games will start July 27th and end Aug 12th, so Mark will be at Portugal/Spain at that time. Mark's London stint is usually end of May, early June as we all know of course. Queen's Jubilee weekend (I like that term) is 2nd -5th june. So a little schedule work and Mark
still could do it. I for my part would love to go to London to see Mark AND the Queen!  :lol

Mark also could release the soundtrack first in early 2012 and then take the usual schedule and release GEORDIELAND (I decided that to be the album title)
Sept/Oct. with tour pre-sale starting for the then 2013 March to August-tour - business as usual... I am not sure if I want to wait for the new album soooo long...  ::)

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
I can't answer for views expressed on the ER forum. It is not something to which I pay that much attention and, as I said before, when I visited it recently, I was not exactly impressed with the "quality" of the comments that I read.

When someone tours as much as Dylan does, you can expect the "law of diminishing returns" to apply in terms of ticket sales.  For example, I know many long-term fans who might have attended, say, all the UK shows previously but won't do so this year and haven't done so for quite a few years. In contrast, MK tours much less frequently, so these phenomena apply to a much lesser extent. It still doesn't mean that Dylan "needs" MK.

Given your comment, it is still telling that it is a Bob Dylan tour, with MK in support. Amongst the comments I've heard from Dylan fans is that the inclusion of MK on the bill has driven the ticket prices up.

Please understand that my comments were not intended as any kind of criticism of (or attack on) MK. Having probably attended more MK (and MK-related) shows than the average Dylan fan, I shall be pleased to see and hear both on the same stage. Apart from anything else, this touring arrangement will probably save me money in terms of ticket, travel and hotel costs (compared with two separate tours that is. 

On the other hand and with regard to the ability or otherwise to fill large venues, then perhaps a double-header bill is not my preference. I'd rather catch Dylan in a small venue than a large barn or a hangar - but I'm not given that choice.

Incidentally, just as I know of MK fans who have never seen (and would not ordinarily see) Dylan on stage, I know of MK fans who do go to concerts on Dylan tours. The former do outnumber the latter, in my experience, but there are folk with wide-ranging musical tastes on both sides of this seeming BD/MK divide. For that, I am thankful.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »

Given your comment, it is still telling that it is a Bob Dylan tour, with MK in support. Amongst the comments I've heard from Dylan fans is that the inclusion of MK on the bill has driven the ticket prices up.

Yes, I have heard that comment on this and other MK forums too, as well as the ER forum, but as I have "only" paid
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:27:35 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
We would like to see MK in small theaters as well, but as long as he could fill arenas, bullrings or big theatres like the RAH, that won

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
The first time I saw Dylan, I bought 80 tickets at a price of 7/6d each in old UK money, so each ticket was around 37 pence in today's terms but, of course, incomes were much lower then. I bought 80 tickets because I co-ordinated the purchase for people at the college I attended at the time. And that was in the RAH  but one of the cheaper blocks.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
The first time I saw Dylan, I bought 80 tickets at a price of 7/6d each in old UK money, so each ticket was around 37 pence in today's terms but, of course, incomes were much lower then. I bought 80 tickets because I co-ordinated the purchase for people at the college I attended at the time. And that was in the RAH  but one of the cheaper blocks.

That was a very long time ago!    Decimal currency has been around for 40 years!      At that time I was earning 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »
The first time I saw Dylan, I bought 80 tickets .

I thought you had done an Isaac  ;D

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but what is "an Isaac"?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:17 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but what is "an Isaac"?

Take a look at this http://gl.isaac.shabtay.com/

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:25 AM »
Thanks. I did hear mention of this guy but never knew his name.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.