Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???  (Read 23931 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Re: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »
In an interview I believe with MTV in 1991, when he was at the beginning of the OES 91/92 tour, Mark mentioned his interest in visiting places that had not previously been with Dire Straits, places like South America, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. I'm imagining how much time Dire Straits had spent in South America, imagining that percussion solo by Dany and Chris in Calling Elvis in the capital of Samba, Río de Janeiro, the audience would go crazy!!!!

https://youtu.be/zYNdVhTE6eo?si=5YsVImNLyLppWuV_

Mention this at minute 16:46 of this video. In any case, it's really worth watching in full, excellent testimonials from Mark and Ed.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2023, 07:59:32 PM »
I personally think that the Nimes concert from September 29th would have made a perfect official recording, with a proper mixing. All the songs are perfectly played, much better IMO than the famous Basel night. Sultans and Telegraph road are better than, I think, the official recording that we now have.

And MK says "all riiiight" TWICE at the beginning of the show  ;D

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2023, 08:03:35 PM »
I personally think that the Nimes concert from September 29th would have made a perfect official recording, with a proper mixing. All the songs are perfectly played, much better IMO than the famous Basel night. Sultans and Telegraph road are better than, I think, the official recording that we now have.

I too prefer Nimes. Look at Mark smiling to the audience and moving his head in circles while delivering those incredible scale runs in Calling Elvis 🙂

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2023, 10:40:56 PM »

I too prefer Nimes. Look at Mark smiling to the audience and moving his head in circles while delivering those incredible scale runs in Calling Elvis 🙂

I prefer Basel as Nimes for me is one show from the last part of the tour, when they were tired and looking forward to end the tour. Also they were playing probably more perfectly and kind of autopilot and Basel, they were more fresh in my opinion.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2023, 08:22:44 AM »
It's funny how you guess how people were feeling.
The only show I detected any tiredness and looking forward to the end of the tour was Zaragoza.
That was certainly Not the case at Nimes. It's a wonderful venue and the crowd were amazing.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2023, 08:45:21 AM »
From Easter 1992 (I think it was Metz etc) I think the band were just tanking along happily.
The 1991 sectors were a little tense as we had a long road ahead of us and Mark was still trying to decide how and what we were going to play in the show. As previously mentioned the USA was a little downer. Also a very long leg in bad weather, playing cold ice stadiums etc....
Easter to October '92 we were in great weather, closer to home (in Europe). the shows were sold out with absolutely incredible audiences. Mark had settled in to the routine and was less angst about the show.
Probably the last two or three shows of the tour I started to feel tired and was anxious for the end. But we are high paid professionals so you still want to give everything for the audience. they have travelled far and paid a lot of money for tickets.
The Zaragoza show was weird as we flew in from Barcelona late afternoon. There was no hang with the crew afterwards, no party, no thank you for a great job guys etc...

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2023, 09:14:43 AM »
OTN was never that bad. Not bad at all actually. Come on guys. Imagine you never had that live recording.   YOU AND YOUR FRIEND was on there, which was enough for me. Love that track.
Since then we got among others WHEN IT COMES TO YOU, and I THINK I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH.
Thats just WOW factor right there.
We never got MILLIONAIRE BLUES from that period live, but we got so much more.

If you want full recording of a 1992 show, Copenhagen (soundboard recording) is a great pick.
I have been trying to chase down the recording of MK ´s solo entrance in the break, when he came out alone and played "Im Singing In The Rain" and Ole Ole Ole.
It was raining heavily that day so I guess he tried to be a little creative.
The Danish Cultural Heritage could not find that passage in the recording (it was broadcastet for danish radio), and even if they did, it would require MK management so says yes for its release.

Cheers Peter

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »
From Easter 1992 (I think it was Metz etc) I think the band were just tanking along happily.
The 1991 sectors were a little tense as we had a long road ahead of us and Mark was still trying to decide how and what we were going to play in the show. As previously mentioned the USA was a little downer. Also a very long leg in bad weather, playing cold ice stadiums etc....
Easter to October '92 we were in great weather, closer to home (in Europe). the shows were sold out with absolutely incredible audiences. Mark had settled in to the routine and was less angst about the show.
Probably the last two or three shows of the tour I started to feel tired and was anxious for the end. But we are high paid professionals so you still want to give everything for the audience. they have travelled far and paid a lot of money for tickets.
The Zaragoza show was weird as we flew in from Barcelona late afternoon. There was no hang with the crew afterwards, no party, no thank you for a great job guys etc...

Yeah, looks like indeed Mark was having fun in these shows. Look at his hilarious face on this video at 2:34 - 2:36. We need a gif for that!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »
OTN was never that bad. Not bad at all actually. Come on guys. Imagine you never had that live recording.   YOU AND YOUR FRIEND was on there, which was enough for me. Love that track.

Me too! After all these years this song always gets me. I still get tears in my eyes when I listen to it. The stunning communication of his guitar and Paul Franklin's steel guitar, and Mark's end solo is out of this world. Takes you into another atmosphere.  Nobody makes the guitar sing like Mark Knopfler! Nobody!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2023, 10:53:10 AM »
Chris, on the BiA tour there were lots of special guest appearances, Pete Townshend, Billy Joel, Nils Lofgren etc

On the OES tour there was only one guest that we are aware of, John Anderson.

Can you remember there ever being any discussion of any other possible guest appearances that just didn't come off?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2023, 01:29:21 PM »
Oh yes John Anderson!
For years I have been wondering whether there is any video recording of his appearance available except this one we all know about. https://youtu.be/tvxWlg3is2U?si=qaBtQShN_YLQ1COM
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2023, 01:46:39 PM »
yes John Anderson!

Was this a deliberate gag? :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2023, 01:58:33 PM »

Yeah, looks like indeed Mark was having fun in these shows. Look at his hilarious face on this video at 2:34 - 2:36. We need a gif for that!

Really? Everyone says Mark was in a bad mood the whole tour:) Not in Basel :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #283 on: November 23, 2023, 02:01:42 PM »

Me too! After all these years this song always gets me. I still get tears in my eyes when I listen to it. The stunning communication of his guitar and Paul Franklin's steel guitar, and Mark's end solo is out of this world. Takes you into another atmosphere.  Nobody makes the guitar sing like Mark Knopfler! Nobody!

Exactly!
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2023, 12:24:23 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.