Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT reviews of Tracker  (Read 72995 times)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
Re: AMIT reviews of Tracker
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »
@ Friday night I would also like to hear more from you (just to encourage you!) and i'm interested to in the bob dylan link you allude to. Can you explain it a bit more? In which song ...

I like also your remark on the small details. This is an album full of small links to other musicians, styles, lyrics and so on, i think we can dig really deep.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
Time for a little review...

Amazing! This truly is a wonderful album in all aspects. Very well written songs, delicate playing, interesting lyrics and all very well produced. It sounds both fresh and familiar at the same time, which is a very good thing. The songs are varied, yet still connected. What also strikes is how personal this effort is with such obvious references to Mark's past. Also nice to see the lyrics matching with the chosen pictures in the booklet.

For me the standout tracks are Laughs, Basil, Lights, Silver Eagle and Wherever I Go. Sound quality is really awesome, crisp and clear yet warm and organic. Maybe the best ever, along with KTGC as for sonics. The guitar work is classic, as tasteful as can be. Just listen to some of those Gibson fills in Basil, they seem to directly come from heaven. Also very nice slide playing throughout the album and then there's that really cool wah in Broken Bones. And not to forget that wonderful electric guitar tone in Silver Eagle, probably a Gretsch which I formerly thought only Richard could do that well.

On the other hand there are also things I don't like that much, such as the handclaps on Broken Bones, the Shanty-like sing along by the band in Laughs, Ian's washboard in Skydiver. But those really are minor things.

As for the bonus songs I disagree with a lot of you. I think the main album is very well chosen from this set of songs. I would probably only add Heart Of Oak as it's such wonderful little song and there' s no other song on the record with only Mark and his acoustic guitar. For me My Heart Has Never Changed would also be good enough to make it, but when you've already got Silver Eagle on I understand the decision for it to end up as a bonus. The other songs are imho not of the same quality as the album songs. For example Terminal Of Tribute To has this really simple en predictable chorus that maybe sounds ok the first few times but would definitely become annoying for me after a while. Also the timing of the words onto the music sounds as they seem not to fit well on multiple occasions in this song, and last but not least the choir-like backing vocals on the outro singing teeeeer-miiiiiiii-naaaaaaaal oooooooooof...... is really awful. But the intro, middle8 and guitar solo are superb. Do not get me wrong, overall it's very nice bonus material.

I think it is pure bliss that Mark at this stage in his career is still so compelled to write songs and record them with such care. This new collection of songs is surely a wonderful gift which I can't get enough of for a long time, probably the rest of my life. Thank you so much Mark!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:44:59 PM by mschaap »

OfflineFriday Night

• Guitar George
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
You are all very nice folks, thank you.

But please: where is Mark citing Lily and the Jack of Cards?

i'm interested to in the bob dylan link you allude to. Can you explain it a bit more?

As of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts mschaap explained it perfectly a few posts above. In LOT I can feel echoes of other Bob Dylan's songs as well. In fact there are many small links throughout the record, including melodies, instrumentation, vocals and even lyrics, eg. "And they all stood around/And stared at me/Two brunettes and a blonde" (LAJADAS) could be a part of a storytelling-style BD song (I mean Time Out of Mind/Highlands style which I admire by the way). I might be totally wrong here and maybe it wasn't Mark's intention at all but this is the way I feel.

out on the tower, in a dying sun

LoveExpresso

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
Funnily enough, I was also reminded at the Highlands storytelling, but in another context, when he speaks of the waitress in My Heart Has Never Changed..

LE

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
We sometimes laugh about Guy telling it's the best thing they ever did. So far, I think this time it might be right  :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:21:47 PM by ingridswing »

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
We sometimes laugh about Guy telling it's the best thing they ever did. So far, I think this time e might be right  :D

Yes, and maybe also the first solo album where every song seems to fit with each other. So this really is a story of MK´s memories.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
We sometimes laugh about Guy telling it's the best thing they ever did. So far, I think this time it might be right  :D

It's good and I think his best in a while, but I wouldn't go that far!  Let's not get carried away with the initial excitement of it all.  The more rational reviews will come in a few months time once we've all calmed down and listened to the songs more and more.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
We said the same about Get Lucky indeed.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »

To be honest, I also find the sound is one of the best of all solo records. He really did a wonderful job here; it seems that he understands what MK wants extremely well and can implement this most directly.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »

It's good and I think his best in a while, but I wouldn't go that far!  Let's not get carried away with the initial excitement of it all.  The more rational reviews will come in a few months time once we've all calmed down and listened to the songs more and more.

So far I listened almost day and night for 3 days in a row and it only gets better. No real skippers (for the first time, most of the time I already had skippers after the first day). So the potential to be the best ever is serious for me

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »

So far I listened almost day and night for 3 days in a row and it only gets better. No real skippers (for the first time, most of the time I already had skippers after the first day). So the potential to be the best ever is serious for me

I don't doubt your sincerity for one moment.  We can all get a little carried away, myself included.  Only time will tell just how good this album is, maybe not months but years from now.  I know I'm not as keen on Privateering as I was on it's release.  In fact, I don't really rate it at all.  :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
I like the non blues songs on Privateering.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
I like the non blues songs on Privateering.

I would agree.  These are by far the best songs from that album.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »
I like the blues on Privateering and my favourite is "Today is OK".    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
I like the blues on Privateering and my favourite is "Today is OK".    ;)

But that's okay  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 37 queries.