Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Who Controls The Setlist?  (Read 19299 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Who Controls The Setlist?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
I think its MK's gig as well,he probably confides in a few people that he trusts but thats very few I'd say???I found it strange on one of Guy's posts lately when he said that he had a mortgage or something like we all have mortgages to pay :o :o,I would have thought that these guys were sorted for life at an early age :disbelief :disbelief

I don't think he makes huge amounts of money as an MK sideman, certainly I've read bits and pieces over the years about other band members in the DS days grumbling because they were on "wages" rather than a cut of the DS cake. Of course Guy gets producers credits and stuff these days so maybe he gets a cut, but MK's sales are a long way off what they once were. I'm sure he's comfortable enough though and loves making a living doing what he does.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Yeah, and if you need some cash: Just sell one of your houses!  :lol

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
but still, no studio time to pay for, a million or more cd's sold every time.
an average of 60
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
60 euros?

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
It is considered good financial practice to have loans rather than pile in all your cash. Even the biggest companies in the world have debts - all governments have debts - it is a way to manage finances.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
an average.
50 euros for most european shows, way more expensive for hte us ones.
far less audience in the us. thus, a rough estimate.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinemr2bur

• Guitar George
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:58 AM »
an average of 60

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »
As an accountant I like this but unfortunately I don't have an idea of real costs in this business.
As a feeling things that are missing:
I think the venue will have part of the tixprice;
Cost of the Mercedesfleet + chauffeurs;
Crew hotels

Offlinezimbo

• Guitar George
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 01:09:30 AM »
I think  mr2bur is right on the money except for the musicians pay, $10,000 per show is way too high IMO. Not even half that.

If you listen to the Trawlerman song it's an analogy to touring and in that song Mark states there may not be much profit in the hold.

Some say I'm a kind of savant. I will leave it up to you to decide.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:23:35 AM by zimbo »

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 04:11:38 AM »
Guy said they are well paid, but not overpaid, lol
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinemr2bur

• Guitar George
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:47 AM »
As a feeling things that are missing:
I think the venue will have part of the tixprice;
Cost of the Mercedesfleet + chauffeurs;
Crew hotels

When I visited each venue website to collect the seating capacity numbers I noticed that many of the venues also listed their booking details. As you can imagine the fees were all over the place, some venues charge a base fee plus a piece of each ticket that they sell, some charge a minimum fee that can slide up to in some cases 10% of the 'adjusted gross'. The venues also charge for things like load in / load out and required union employees - ushers, ticket-takers, stage crew, wardrobe, house manager. Using the averages of 2700 seats and $70 a ticket at 10% comes out to $19k per show. Since this is not by any means an exhaustive, exact exercise; in the name of keeping it simple I made the average fee $35k to the venue and local promoter. Is this right? I don't know, it is a WAG. Some places had much higher ticket prices - NYC for example - the average ticket price was $100. I suspect that this was due in part to a higher fee demand from the venue. I did notice that most venues also collect 20% of any merchandise sold on their premises.

The local limo costs in NA could be broken out from the jet transport but I'm thinking that $15k per ride may include local ground transport. At any rate, they had 3 cars most days 4x per show - hotel to airport, airport to venue and reverse after the show. Some shows didn't require plane rides but lets call it 4 trips x 3 cars x 28 shows x $100 / trip = $35k. Relatively small piece of the cost. In Europe I understand that they use a dedicated limo service, I imagine that costs more, since the drivers and cars are on call 24x7 and have to sleep and eat, although maybe they get in on the catering.

I believe the crew sleep on the buses during overnight transit to the next show, so no hotel necessary for them.

As to the cost for the players. Again I'm WAGing it, but I also didn't account for 3 weeks of rehearsals that they all went through. Also remember that the core group has been with MK for many years and they only go out for 5 months every 2 years. I don't know that they have an agreement with MK to be available on that schedule but if they do perhaps he 'overpays' them a bit to insure that they are available and don't get booked into some other commitment. I'm sure they aren't paid equally, GF as MD most certainly gets more $. If we bump the average $10k / show down to $7.5k that puts another $0.5mm in MK's pocket.

I may have overstated the size of the crew in NA. They used local catering in NA as opposed to hiring on catering staff in Europe. Dropping the crew headcount down to 20 from 30 saves $0.17mm in crew salary.

So maybe MK made a cool $1mm for his effort in NA in 2010. Who knows? It just a guessing game.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
I think  mr2bur is right on the money except for the musicians pay, $10,000 per show is way too high IMO. Not even half that.

If you listen to the Trawlerman song it's an analogy to touring and in that song Mark states there may not be much profit in the hold.

Some say I'm a kind of savant. I will leave it up to you to decide.

Agree (not the savant bit ;) , the musicians won't make anything like that. If you think about what someone might normally make in a year, I would say that these guys are above average but not hugely paid. Then work out four months. I dunno, maybe they each get something like $100,000 to do the tour.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »
Well, touring should be an interesting business as well... I paid

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »
an average.
50 euros for most european shows, way more expensive for hte us ones.
far less audience in the us. thus, a rough estimate.

Sorry Pottel I thought you were referring to the price of a CD! :-)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
an average of 60

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.