Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: K2GC - unlistenable  (Read 11109 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: K2GC - unlistenable
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »
mmm, just realised that it does make a difference when you listen to something before writing an opinion.
 i do like chunks of KTGC a lot...
true love for me is an instant classic.
heart of gold is top as is madame geneva and Punish...
it just misses a "complete feeling" like ragpicker had, or golden heart...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
I certainly wouldnot say unlistenable.

For my part this is just not the Mark Knopfler I like...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 01:23:32 PM »
it just misses a "complete feeling" like ragpicker had, or golden heart...

Interesting you say that, because even though I don't like KTGC, I do think it sounds "complete" as an album. Whereas both RPD and STP sound more like a collection of songs because all the styles are so varied.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 05:39:37 AM »
I love KTGC, especially Madame Geneva and We Can Get Wild.   But as a favorite:  Ragpicker's Dream, with Golden Heart a close second.   Sacrilege here:   I don't like Imelda and Rudiger.  The songs are brilliant, but I don't like the people they portray.  Imelda was a horrid person and Rudiger--the person-- was both pitiable and sinister.    But Golden Heart and Darling Pretty more than make up for them.   I can never speak of technicalities of the music, because I'm not a musician.   Well, I used to plunk on the piano, but that was years ago.   And I've forgotten all my theory.     I could never even imagine KTGC as 'unlistenable.'     
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
I like KTGC although I have a problem with MK's excessive use of the whammy bar on that album. I don't like that Hank Marvin sound, just like I don't like the sound of a wailing pedal steel guitar. I always have to stop the "On The Night" version of "Walk Of Life" after Mark says, "Best pedal steel player in the world, Paul Franklin". Not that I generally hate pedal steel guitar sound, I just don't like it if it sounds too much like a country music clich

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
I, on the otherhand listen to TLWNF (live versions) every day, because I LOVE it!   :D  Just goes to show you can't please all of the people....!     ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:34:06 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
nope, r
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
And opposite to Goldenheart I love pedal steel very much and I really wish Mark invite Paul Franklin again for a tour!

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »
And opposite to Goldenheart I love pedal steel very much and I really wish Mark invite Paul Franklin again for a tour!

Didnt he have some ear problems that prevented him from doing a lot of flying & basically ruled him out of tours????
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
I think that was Jim Cox.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
Not my favourite but my mum loves it!

And it's very listenable IMO

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
Hey Rollergirl,

funny enough this was the first MK CD I was NOT carrying to my sister and mother who were always in for MK - and when they heard the CD by the way
nearly half a year after release, they asked me: Hey, what

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
IMHO KTGC has some pretty flakey tracks on it - True Love Will Never Fade - is a bit pants as is The Fizzy and the Still

BUT it also has some real corkers - things like Punish the Monkey, We Can Get Wild (you can really picture the era mark was trying to create with the words and tune) and Heart Full of Holes - is another great song - that really provides you with an 'iamge' - i think Mark's ability to write songs that give off era's are becoming more frequent with the most recent releases.  

I do love the Paul Franlin Pedal Steel sound - but it has to be in the right context.  "The best Steel Player in the word" is reached and WOL is skipped - in that context it annoys me - BUT in You and Your Friend - it was a different type of pedal sound sound that made that track!  I also think Jerry Douglas is very talented as what he does - but that 'country' sound as i said has to be in the right context - Hillbillies and some solo stuff yes - When your trying to create a bygone sound and image and trying to sound more like Hank than Hank does - then i cant see that sound working - anyway - wouldnt either Richard or Guy provide all of Mark's potential Lap/Pedel Steel requirements?? ;)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:40:24 PM by schmonka »
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
IMHO KTGC has some pretty flakey tracks on it - True Love Will Never Fade - is a bit pants as is The Fizzy and the Still

Just goes to show, we all have different views, Fizzy and the Still is, along with Scaffolder's Wife, one of the two really great tracks on the album.

I do love the Paul Franlin Pedal Steel sound - but it has to be in the right context.  "The best Steel Player in the word" is reached and WOL is skipped - in that context it annoys me - BUT in You and Your Friend - it was a different type of pedal sound sound that made that track!  I also think Jerry Douglas is very talented as what he does - but that 'country' sound as i said has to be in the right context - Hillbillies and some solo stuff yes - When your trying to create a bygone sound and image and trying to sound more like Hank than Hank does - then i cant see that sound working - anyway - wouldnt either Richard or Guy provide all of Mark's potential Lap/Pedel Steel requirements?? ;)

On YAYF, Paul Franklin is playing a "ped-Dobro", a specially built pedal version of the Dobro type guitar that Jerry Douglas is famous for playing. Richard and Guy can do a dobro type "lap" steel, but not a full pedal steel, that's a different beast that has a whole load of pedals to control bends and volume swells.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »
Agreed - I recall reading an article on Paul some years ago in it was explained the Pedabro - A.K.A The Box (I think??) was designed by Paul's father.  This sits on a 4 legged frame as opposed to the standing up instrument and style used by Jerry Douglas.  Your right though - Lap steel I think Guy or Richard would have a fighting chance of accomplishing - but full on Pedal Steel with its necessary Pedal Action- now that
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:34:25 AM by schmonka »
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 42 queries.