Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK on Brexit  (Read 2083 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
MK on Brexit
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
Comments from an interview in the Radio Times:

"I think the Government has totally betrayed the musical community with Brexit. It’s just a nightmare trying to operate from Britain now in the music game. They said they’d take care of the music business, but they didn’t.”

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: MK on Brexit
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 01:07:49 PM »
Honestly thought he was better than this.  Obviously I was wrong - he’s just another grumpy Guardian reading remoaner who doesn’t respect democracy.  Most people want to move on.

I also noted he’s gone woke and signed the Stephen Fry letter at the Garrick Club to allow women to join.  I only hope the leader of the opposition isn’t involved in the decision because he cannot define what a woman is!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 01:10:18 PM »
Honestly thought he was better than this.  Obviously I was wrong - he’s just another grumpy Guardian reading remoaner who doesn’t respect democracy.  Most people want to move on.

I also noted he’s gone woke and signed the Stephen Fry letter at the Garrick Club to allow women to join.  I only hope the leader of the opposition isn’t involved in the decision because he cannot define what a woman is!

Yeah let's not protect one of our biggest industries!
The idiots who voted for Brexit were lied to but we all have to suffer the consequences.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 01:15:42 PM »
Well, facts are facts, whatever opinion anyone could have. Brexit has been terrible not only for music industry but to many others. Some realised they had been lied, other refuse to realise.

Whatever.

And I think this topic should be closed if arguments are going to scalate.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 01:49:16 PM »
Well, facts are facts, whatever opinion anyone could have. Brexit has been terrible not only for music industry but to many others. Some realised they had been lied, other refuse to realise.

Whatever.

And I think this topic should be closed if arguments are going to scalate.

Let’s see how it goes. As long as members remember the rules and don’t insult other members we’ll hopefully be ok.

Hard for me to feel that MK has “gone woke”. His politics have been pretty clear in his lyrics from early on, if you were listening for them.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 02:51:29 PM »

'Members' being a very apt word for the Garrick Club! It's not 1831 still! I'm pretty sure, however Sir Kier can define what a woman is after all he is married to one and has kids too!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:54:17 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 03:06:19 PM »
"Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world"

Written 54 years ago and nobody seemed bothered then.

What a state we have gotten ourselves into over tiny matters.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 03:36:33 PM »

He didn't join the woke mob on immigration though. He was quite brutal in the interview with the German magazine and even mentioned Sweden
I do think the song Janine is a little bit about that

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 03:44:38 PM »

He didn't join the woke mob on immigration though. He was quite brutal in the interview with the German magazine and even mentioned Sweden

What did he say?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 03:53:13 PM »

What did he say?
Can't remember the exact words but I think he said that mass immigration was completely changing the character of cities and villages and that natives were starting to feel detached from where they used to belong. Something along those lines... And then he said he had a friend in Sweden who told him he was worried with the consequences of mass immigration in Sweden.
Then the interviewer pushed him with another question about it and he said something like: "It's not up to me to make more judgements about that"

But again, it's better to read the full interview because it's a very nice one. He speaks about topics he hasn't ever spoken about (immortality, etc.)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 03:56:45 PM »
Thanks. I'd like to read it but I don't speak German unfortunately!

Would be odd but not unprecedented for someone who is the child of an immigrant to have negative views of immigration. And he's also lived in London for a long time, a city that has constantly evolved through the coming and going of different people.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks. I'd like to read it but I don't speak German unfortunately!

Would be odd but not unprecedented for someone who is the child of an immigrant to have negative views of immigration. And he's also lived in London for a long time, a city that has constantly evolved through the coming and going of different people.
His father was Hungarian, a country based on Western culture. Obviously, most of the complaints about mass immigration are about non-Western immigration. For example, in my country nobody has issues with immigration from Ukraine, Moldova or Bulgaria.

Anyway, you can read the interview with the help of Google Translate. Just translate the picture and you won't need German, although it helps you to understand the flow of the conversation, of course.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 04:05:48 PM »
Got a link?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 04:10:23 PM »

What did he say?
Can't remember the exact words but I think he said that mass immigration was completely changing the character of cities and villages and that natives were starting to feel detached from where they used to belong. Something along those lines... And then he said he had a friend in Sweden who told him he was worried with the consequences of mass immigration in Sweden.
Then the interviewer pushed him with another question about it and he said something like: "It's not up to me to make more judgements about that"

But again, it's better to read the full interview because it's a very nice one. He speaks about topics he hasn't ever spoken about (immortality, etc.)

Is there an English version of this interview?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 04:11:21 PM »
Got a link?
Unfortunately not. I read it when fellow member Stratmad published the photos of the interview, just before they got taken down by the mods. I'm sure he still has it, so try to contact him

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 36 queries.