Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Pick Withers online Q&A  (Read 6497 times)

hunter

Re: Pick Withers online Q&A
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
My guess is that Pick only considers the songs that were recorded after being signed to the record label and as such doesn't think of the demo songs as "unreleased".

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
My guess is that Pick only considers the songs that were recorded after being signed to the record label and as such doesn't think of the demo songs as "unreleased".

He literally told that sacred loving was not in the demo tape that they have to Charlie Gillett.

In my opinion, he's just taking profits of us, DS fans, to promote his new band after years of don't giving a **** about DS or DS fans. Now he is member in various DS and MK Facebook groups. The reason he is that inaccurate about anything he's asked is because he nevwr cared and he still doesn't care, but has to pretend he cares to promote his new band.

It's my opinion.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »

He literally told that sacred loving was not in the demo tape that they have to Charlie Gillett.

In my opinion, he's just taking profits of us, DS fans, to promote his new band after years of don't giving a **** about DS or DS fans. Now he is member in various DS and MK Facebook groups. The reason he is that inaccurate about anything he's asked is because he nevwr cared and he still doesn't care, but has to pretend he cares to promote his new band.

It's my opinion.
Finally, someone says this. Pick doesn't give a crap, you can totally see it in his answers. I would have an easier time solving a rubik's cube with nothing but a spoon than figuring out what his favourite song actually is.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
Great to have an interview,  be thankful.

Quite astounded at some of the reaction though : I really enjoyed reading Picks answers and dont really feel that he has 'profited' from me in any way.  If you want to feel like that look no further than Mark Knopfler himself  who is happy to sell you a £300 minature crappy plastic guitar and would never dream of giving even a half honest interview to fans which could be posted on forums for fanatics like this.  Get some perspective....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 10:41:30 PM »

It's my opinion.
Finally, someone says this. Pick doesn't give a crap, you can totally see it in his answers. I would have an easier time solving a rubik's cube with nothing but a spoon than figuring out what his favourite song actually is.

I understand where you're coming from on this and without doubt there is an element of self promotion in all of this kind of activity, and it's not just PW either. However if you watch the 3 plus hour interview posted a few weeks back he doesn't come across as uncaring or frivolous about DS. He obviously enjoys talking and sharing his stories.

Given the way Covid has decimated both live and session musicians livelihoods I think we can grant some of Marks former associates a little bit of self promotion....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 11:12:18 PM »

Quite astounded at some of the reaction though : I really enjoyed reading Picks answers and dont really feel that he has 'profited' from me in any way.  If you want to feel like that look no further than Mark Knopfler himself  who is happy to sell you a £300 minature crappy plastic guitar and would never dream of giving even a half honest interview to fans which could be posted on forums for fanatics like this.  Get some perspective....

fully agree.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 12:15:20 AM »

fully agree #2
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
I have no problem at all with Pick using his DS history for self-promotion. He stayed with the band for several years, and I think we all agree that his contribution had great influence on the DS sound and maybe even on DS' success. And as mentioned above, because of the pandemic, we really should cut him (and others) some slack.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 05:14:15 AM »
Yes well said hunter.
It is ludicrous that people on here are criticising Pick for not remembering everything perfectly from 40 or so years ago.
I'm sure he has had ample opportunity to cash in on DS over the past 35+ years but hasn't done so.
His interviews show him respecting his DS days and trying to answer some questions multiple times must be a little boring.
Let's be honest MK has given us virtually nothing regarding DS,and that is his right,but for a band that sold over 100 million albums there is obviously a demand for more even if it is almost 30 years since their last show.
Even if it just to top up their pension funds I'm pleased there are books coming from Ed and John.John has really embraced the role of DS ambassador and it's great to see him thriving after his serious health issues.
Of course we all want reissues etc but Old Misery Guts,for reasons that don't make total sense,makes that exceedingly difficult.
The induction into the HOF has stirred the DS embers and the books are the first sign things are changing.The bottom line is that DS will make some people significant money so I expect to see lots more over the next few years.
I'm up for that :thumbsup

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
I have no problem at all with Pick using his DS history for self-promotion. He stayed with the band for several years, and I think we all agree that his contribution had great influence on the DS sound and maybe even on DS' success. And as mentioned above, because of the pandemic, we really should cut him (and others) some slack.

I totally agree with you, hunter!  :thumbsup

Pick absolutely left a BIG footprint on the early sound of the band, so its alright was he is doing to promote his new band.
And that he doesn`t remember every little details 40 years ago it`s just human.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »
Agreed.
Pick is the one guy who rennounced game, glory, money, at the height of DS popularity, just to do what he wanted to do, spend more time with his family and not be marginalized. It is surprising that he seems not to get on with David, since they followed the same path...
So accusing this man who never ever tried to cash on DS, whereas he could easily have, just because he talks a bit of it towards the end of his career, 40 years later, is not fair to me.
Besides he seems sincere, I listened to the video and he spoke with this heartw and yes he makes mistakes, but that only tells me that he was not obsessed by it and didn't prepare himself for a big public come back. Otherwise he would have said things like "oh yeah, there was 12 extra songs planned for LOG, and Mark's version of Private Dancer was gorgeous, let me see if I have a copy somewhere", which would have been a better way to tease his audience than saying "there's nothing"...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
It's not the fact that he doesn't remember, it's the fact that he doesn't mind at all and instead saying he doesn't remember he invents his answers, because he doesn't care... He insisted a lot, as it was true, that sacred loving was not, for sure, on the demos given to Gillett. If you don't remember, you say "I don't remember" or "I'm not sure" or even "I'd say that song wasn't on the demos" but he said categorically it wasn't.

That's not the answer from someone he doesn't remember but the answer from someone doesn't care.
And it's not the only thing he said in the interviews and Q&A in that way.

I appreciate what he did as musician 40 years ago as a drummer with DS, but I don't like what he's doing now, whatever his reason is.

Many other ex members are on Facebook and giving good answers to that very same questions, and when they don't remember, they are honest, instead of invent whatever.

And insist, is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with me, just respect my opinion, as I respect yours.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:09:00 PM by jbaent »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
It's not the fact that he doesn't remember, it's the fact that he doesn't mind at all and instead saying he doesn't remember he invents his answers, because he doesn't care... He insisted a lot, as it was true, that sacred loving was not, for sure, on the demos given to Gillett. If you don't remember, you say "I don't remember" or "I'm not sure" or even "I'd say that song wasn't on the demos" but he said categorically it wasn't.

That's not the answer from someone he doesn't remember but the answer from someone doesn't care.

I appreciate what he did as musician 40 years ago as a drummer with DS, but I don't like what he's doing now, whatever his reason is.

Many other ex members are on Facebook and giving good answers to that very same questions, and when they don't remember, they are honest, instead of invent whatever.

And insist, is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with me, just respect my opinion, as I respect yours.
I have merely stated my opinion, just like you did.
Never said I didn't respect your opinion.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »

I have merely stated my opinion, just like you did.
Never said I didn't respect your opinion.

I wasn't talking to you exactly, but in general, that's why I didn't quoted nothing.

I respect your opinion and agree on most points.

hunter

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 01:56:14 PM »
The man is 70+ years old. Somethings he remembers well, somethings he doesn't. We shouldn't be surprised.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 44 queries.