Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Pick Withers Interview  (Read 5720 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Pick Withers Interview
« on: September 15, 2023, 12:02:54 PM »
Extensive interview with Pick Withers!

Drum tech heavy to beware if you just want DS stories.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Pick Withers Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:22:32 AM »
Another good interview with Pick

https://www.drummersresource.com/pick-withers-interview/

Sorry, I think I'll pass this one. I lost interest in Pick after an interview where he said something like he left Dire Straits because he didn't want to be remembered as just "the drummer from Dire Straits". The arrogance and ego of certain ex-Dire Straits band members never cease to astonish me.

All this romantic stuff of the band getting bigger is just an excuse. Good for Pick, now he's certainly not being remembered as a drummer for Dire Straits, no, no.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 09:21:34 PM »

Sorry, I think I'll pass this one. I lost interest in Pick after an interview where he said something like he left Dire Straits because he didn't want to be remembered as just "the drummer from Dire Straits". The arrogance and ego of certain ex-Dire Straits band members never cease to astonish me.

All this romantic stuff of the band getting bigger is just an excuse. Good for Pick, now he's certainly not being remembered as a drummer for Dire Straits, no, no.

Unless I am misunderstanding you I really don't agree.
He didn't like the direction the band was going in and wanted to do different things-similar to how Mark felt about the band-so why should he be criticised for this?
Obviously David had different issues and has done a fair bit of moaning but I think Pick has always been respectful even though he must get fed up of talking about DS.
All I am saying is Give Pick A Chance ;D

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 02:09:15 PM »
One reason why he left was because the gigs were getting louder and louder. Pick was a lighter player with a skippy feel. Having experienced it myself I totally get where he was coming from.
The feel of the band changed completely after Pick's departure.....arguably not in a good way.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »
One reason why he left was because the gigs were getting louder and louder. Pick was a lighter player with a skippy feel. Having experienced it myself I totally get where he was coming from.
The feel of the band changed completely after Pick's departure.....arguably not in a good way.

Terry brought the oomph that was arguably better for the larger scale gigs but I missed all Pick’s intricate parts, especially on the hi hat and cymbals. He would have been great on the Brothers in Arms record.

Offlinemariosboss

• Guitar George
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 03:47:50 AM »

He didn't like the direction the band was going in and wanted to do different things-similar to how Mark felt about the band-so why should he be criticised for this?
Obviously David had different issues and has done a fair bit of moaning but I think Pick has always been respectful even though he must get fed up of talking about DS.

Yes I agree. What a strange strange stance from Quiz.... Considering that Knopfler is regarded as the ego. Not his former bandmates. Extroadinary. In fact we should listen more to Mark's former bandmates from 1977-1984 especially to add context to that era.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 10:43:24 AM »

Yes I agree. What a strange strange stance from Quiz.... Considering that Knopfler is regarded as the ego. Not his former bandmates. Extroadinary. In fact we should listen more to Mark's former bandmates from 1977-1984 especially to add context to that era.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Pick's drumming and admire him as a musician. What I mean is, that every time somebody discusses their "breakup" with MK, you get hints that it may not be without solid reasons. Jack Sonni obviously wanted more from Mark than he was willing to offer, and was waiting for a miracle that never happened.

Pick also gives the vibe that he wanted more "space" in the band, let alone David. It's not just musical differences, it IS ego, but not always on Mark's side.

Keep in mind, without Mark there would be no Dire Straits, no success, no all these great songs and roles for people to occupy. He has the right to have the ego more than everybody else. If instead of being grateful and accepting it as John Illsley did, you start to bite the hand that feeds you, then you get what you deserve.

If after being the founding member of "the biggest band in the world" you rely on Patreon to record your albums, I think you did something wrong with your choices.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 10:51:49 AM »
I think you are 100% wrong.
People evolve in different ways. As in said in the box set thread, I can't imagine Pick being the drummer on Money For Nothing.
No human should have to suppress their own creative needs to suit someone else. If your creativity aligns with Mark's (like Johns) then sure, but if you feel the need to play different music or produce albums then it's totally right to move away.
Pick no longer fitted the loud, heavy hitting rock Mark wanted to pursue.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 10:59:11 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Pick's drumming and admire him as a musician. What I mean is, that every time somebody discusses their "breakup" with MK, you get hints that it may not be without solid reasons. Jack Sonni obviously wanted more from Mark than he was willing to offer, and was waiting for a miracle that never happened.

Pick also gives the vibe that he wanted more "space" in the band, let alone David. It's not just musical differences, it IS ego, but not always on Mark's side.

Keep in mind, without Mark there would be no Dire Straits, no success, no all these great songs and roles for people to occupy. He has the right to have the ego more than everybody else. If instead of being grateful and accepting it as John Illsley did, you start to bite the hand that feeds you, then you get what you deserve.

If after being the founding member of "the biggest band in the world" you rely on Patreon to record your albums, I think you did something wrong with your choices.

As I pointed out in a different threads, there are double standards here. No, MK has no more right or not than anyone else "to have the ego". And, there's certainly no reason for anyone to be more grateful one way or another. It really makes no sense that everyone should be grateful for MK, but not the other way around. Biting the hand that feeds you... not sure anyone in DS ever did that.

People should really put this whole "Mark is a superhuman" stuff away and enjoy the music... this really is a sad place sometimes, when it's about pulling other band members down just to make Mark look extra special.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »
I have to agree.
Mark is human with good points and bad points like anyone else.
There were some silly comments when Manu Katche said in an interview he didn't particularly enjoy working with Mark.
Some people claiming that Katche wasn't up to the job and therefore didn't enjoy the session.
Maybe Mark was just being difficult that day.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 11:34:20 AM »
I think you are 100% wrong.
People evolve in different ways. As in said in the box set thread, I can't imagine Pick being the drummer on Money For Nothing.
No human should have to suppress their own creative needs to suit someone else. If your creativity aligns with Mark's (like Johns) then sure, but if you feel the need to play different music or produce albums then it's totally right to move away.
Pick no longer fitted the loud, heavy hitting rock Mark wanted to pursue.

It's a difficult topic indeed, nobody could be 100% right or wrong here. Should it be this simple, all these people could at least stay friendly to each other. And to me, every story of Mark stopping working with somebody (or musicians stopping working with MK) is more like a marriage breakup gone wrong. With John Illsley again being an exception from the norm. So it's not just creative differences, but musical egos clashing.

There are subjective facts and objective facts. The objective fact is that Mark with the help of his friends and his songs created an independent Dire Straits phenomenon that took over the world, without anybody's interference, pressure from record labels, always having enough new original songs to record, etc.. Complete creative freedom and success, but not a democracy. More like a benevolent dictatorship.

I'd be the first one to dismiss the "superhuman" idea, but let's just not diminish Mark's input into this whole operation. Without the guy, there would be no "A Mark In Time" forum. And as you can see, Brothers In Arms album happened without Pick and was a blast.

I can't imagine Pick playing Money For Nothing as much as I can't imagine Steward Copeland playing "Every Breath You Take", probably the simplest song he ever played. And boy he did it well! Call it not fitting the sound or creative differences, I'd call it if you happen to work with a genius, try to stay working with him and learn from him until you get fired, or become a genius yourself. Well, somebody tried...

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2023, 12:16:37 PM »
So it's not just creative differences, but musical egos clashing.

The funny thing about your posts is that you are contradicting the people who were there, experienced it in real life. You are guessing, apparently based on the fact you admire Mark a great deal. Maybe accept some people who actually lived it have more truth to say than you do.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 12:45:20 PM by Chris W »

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
It is incredibly cool to hear your from you Chris, please stay and share <3 Before you, Pick and Terry started to explain how it was, I thought that it was drummers with different styles, when in fact it was Mark who chose the style of the drums.
And welcome to a MK forum were the absolute rule number one is: never say something positive about MK. Then you are a praiser, someone who think Mark is a god. I don't think anybody, and certainly not here, think that way.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 12:47:06 PM »
Apart from Pick, who was part of the original DS sound - I think Mark chose the drummers that delivered the style/sound he wanted, not soo much the style. He wrote the songs, then picked the drummers that suited those songs.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 38 queries.