Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: the Mark and Bob anything goes thread...  (Read 11986 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: the Mark and Bob anything goes thread...
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
like the album. narrow way, scarlett town and some other i forgot stand out for me.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
If I hadn't just bought Privateering, I would have gotten Bob's new cd--though I've only heard Duqeunse (sp?) Whistle.

Funny how Dylan sounds like Louis Armstrong in that song. LOVE the video too!
" I'm just living with the ringing of tomorrow's ancient rhymes"

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
You'll need them both, Jennja!

And don't get me wrong, I like the Dylan album, too. It's just not one of his greatest, like some of his disciples pretend it is (Rolling Stone, Mojo, Uncut ...) They do that every time he releases a new album, and by the time the next one will come out, they'll say: "Well, the last one was kind of sub-par, but THIS one is it! The greatest ever!" Same story, every time. And who could really blame them? This man is not going to live for a long time, every album might be his last. And you just want his last album to be better than anything. I want that, too.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Just had my first listen to Tempest in its entirety. After all the hype AND critisim I was kind of dreading the longer songs at the end... all I can say is, as a fan of modBobs stuff (Oh Mercy/Love and Theft/Modern Times/Tell Tale Signs/Together Through Life) I love the whole album, it's terrific! Nothing tiresome or boring about it, and the longer songs are epic.
Can't wait to see Mark and Bob in Seattle! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »

And don't get me wrong, I like the Dylan album, too. It's just not one of his greatest, like some of his disciples pretend it is (Rolling Stone, Mojo, Uncut ...) They do that every time he releases a new album, and by the time the next one will come out, they'll say: "Well, the last one was kind of sub-par, but THIS one is it! The greatest ever!" Same story, every time. And who could really blame them? This man is not going to live for a long time, every album might be his last. And you just want his last album to be better than anything. I want that, too.

To be fair... I think Tempest is an equal to all of Bobs modern stuff, but for sure its NOT a stand out best ever album, it just ain't. But if you like the modern stuff, you probably will love this new one, I do.
It rocks, it's cool, it's surreal. And Bob rattling away with surreal poetry, if you're in the mood, is as good as it gets...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »

To be fair... I think Tempest is an equal to all of Bobs modern stuff, but for sure its NOT a stand out best ever album, it just ain't. But if you like the modern stuff, you probably will love this new one, I do.
It rocks, it's cool, it's surreal. And Bob rattling away with surreal poetry, if you're in the mood, is as good as it gets...

I have listened to "Tempest" 4 or 5 times and I like a lot of the songs, especially "Duquesne Whistle", "Scarlet Town  and a few others, but I did find the final three songs extremely long and boring, to the point where I had to move on!   Although "Narrow Way" is a longish song, I managed to listen to the end and I think this is one of my favourites.  "Pay in Blood" is a very good song and would have been even better if Bob's voice had been less gargly.  As you say, Fletch "...if you're in the mood...."  -  maybe I will be next time I listen!   ;)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:32:28 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
Just had my first listen to Tempest in its entirety. After all the hype AND critisim I was kind of dreading the longer songs at the end... all I can say is, as a fan of modBobs stuff (Oh Mercy/Love and Theft/Modern Times/Tell Tale Signs/Together Through Life) I love the whole album, it's terrific! Nothing tiresome or boring about it, and the longer songs are epic.

I'm a huge fan of "modern Bob"

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
Yes indeedy do Val....The Tempest will make it in my collection someday! After reading all the news out on Bob, I'm damn upset about not making Portland.

"anything goes thread" hmmm? Well, I got a kick out of Bob's statements in Rolling Stone " wussies and pussies"( those saying non-citing is plagarism)
" those motherfuckers can rot in hell"(the critics who called him Judas for switching acoustic to guitar)...................strong words and the internet is rockin' with them! Loving, for the most part Bob taking the critics down. I always get sooooooo mad when others tell an artist what to do...not to mention comparing Bob to Jesus Christ.

Got to go read the article in Rolling Stone in it's entirety today...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
fyi, we are discussing "Tempest", not "the tempest" here :-)
i like most songs except numero uno, the whislte thing, to mediocre for me (good vid though)
i am confused with the titanic song, need to carefully listen to those lyrics again.
narrow way, Scarlett town and that damned third song whose title i cannot remember, i really like. still prefer L&T, MT and together...

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
fyi, we are discussing "Tempest", not "the tempest" here :-)""

LOL! OK, maybe I'm all things Shakespearian these days...epic stories on Privateering...Bob's line " if there's an original line out there I could use it right now".......after Shakespeare...were there any original lines?

Interesting to me that both Bob and Guy did a song about Titantic...but I haven't listened to the...er...Tempest.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
Both are allotted 75 M for the upcoming tour :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
Both are allotted 75 M for the upcoming tour :)

your avatar somehow remidns me of

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »
I was waiting for the girls to lose their bikinis! 8)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.