Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On every street, 21 years ago...  (Read 8109 times)

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
Re: On every street, 21 years ago...
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 08:02:57 PM »
Yes, Danny must have been exhausted before the concert even began on that tour!  It had the long percussion intro to build up tension in the crowd with the lights out, the band would walk on stage then the song would burst into life and all the lights would go on.  Brilliant!  Or so I thought.  That, along with RAtR were the best openers for me by some distance.
I have goosebumps by reading that. I perfectly remember this intro and the curtain fall, it was in Lyon.
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
Didn't they have the intro sounds in a synth or something?

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
I think OES is a pretty good album, lots of good songs on it. You and your friend is fantastic and I think fade to black is also a great tune. Iron Hand still blows me away. The whole album feels bittersweet though, like the end of a good weekend! I think they must have known this was the sign off album.

I wasn't lucky enough to see any OES shows but I remember the live broadcast of woburn abbey on radio 1 which I recorded, but the tape got chewed up after I listened to it so much - I was gutted. Was glad a few months later when on the night was released, would have liked sultans and telegraph road included - sultans on this tour is very clean / stripped back and the pensa lends well to it.

Would have been interesting to hear how Terry Williams would have sounded on this tour, a totally different dynamic undoubtedly. I think he was under the impression he'd be invited back to your but that didn't happen.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:31:42 PM by the visitor »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
"On Every Street" is still my all-time favourite album. Or is it "The Ragpicker's Dream"? I don't know, I just love them both more than anything.

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Hi,

Yes, the last DS album is a great one. When I need to listen to some DS, it's nearly always " OES " or " Communique ". There many good songs on the album. I really like the title track, mostly because of the wonderful outro. In fact I prefer the album version of that song. Too much pedal steel on the live version.

Songs like " When It Comes To You ", " You And Your Friend ", and " How Long " are top songs too.

On the tour back then, I'm enjoyed three concerts. Two here in Denmark at Gentofte Stadium, and one down in Frankfurt Germany. All of them fantastic shows.  :)
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
Ahh

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Don't feel too bad about the Lyon '92 gig;  you did get TOL live and not many people have the honour.  I have the bootleg and it sounds a pretty good concert too overall.

Nice reminisces by the way.  I love looking back like this to a time before the weight of the world crushed me!   :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
God 21yrs ago!! I must be getting old!  I drove down to Sheffield for the 1st  night of 5 gigs at the Sheffield Arena, and for some reason getting lost in the centre of Manchester only a few hours before it started! I was starting to sweat, but managed to make it in time. This was before OES was released, and i remember loving OES when it was played,and the lighting was amazing, at the time i had never seen anything like it, even my friends were talking about it(who weren't DS fans)- how times have changed. Didn't know until a few months later that the clown running up and down noising up the crowd, and generally being a bit daft and walking across the stage a few times whilst the band were performing, was Randy Quaid, they were filming parts of it for the Heavy Fuel video.  I went to see them in Glasgow 10 days or so later, one was the first night at Glasgow and the last night there. I remember that the 1st Glasgow night wasn't sold out, maybe a couple of thousand short, I also remember Mark barely spoke to the crowd at all, looked as if he was in a bad mood that night. The last night he was completely different. I think by this time the album had been released. He played When It Comes To You  ---always sounded better live than on record.
A little side note about Randy Quaid, seems he has had some troubled times since  http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/09/dog-bounty-hunter-wife-open-letter-randy-quaid-gonna-get-him
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:14:38 PM by rosco »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
Don't feel too bad about the Lyon '92 gig;  you did get TOL live and not many people have the honour.  I have the bootleg and it sounds a pretty good concert too overall.

Nice reminisces by the way.  I love looking back like this to a time before the weight of the world crushed me!   :lol

I'm sure that it was TR played at the the gig I attended, so the boot you're talking about must the other night.
I guess they played 2 nights in lyon in april 92
I'm not sure, but I think I went to the 22/04/92 gig, must check mi tix

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »

I'm sure that it was TR played at the the gig I attended, so the boot you're talking about must the other night.

You're right, it was 2 nights but it was 20/21.04.92  On the 22nd they played Grenoble.  Too bad if you didn't get TOL. :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »

You're right, it was 2 nights but it was 20/21.04.92  On the 22nd they played Grenoble.  Too bad if you didn't get TOL. :(

OK so maybe, was it the 21th, can't check my tix now

I don't mind for TOL, I don't like 91-92 versions so much.
I like TR in 91-92 with the sax solo

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.