Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy & Vicente Amigo in Concert  (Read 8392 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guy & Vicente Amigo in Concert
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Snow is forecast for much of the UK tomorrow (18th), but unusually Glasgow is to be precipitation free (sunny, but only 1 degree celcius)!  Take care on your travels Val and enjoy the show.

P.S.  Phil Cunningham was on the local news tonight promoting the event, standing shivering outside The Royal Concert Hall!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:16:25 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
Hi there!

Show was yesterday. Any mini-review?  ;D

Would have LOVED to be there

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:33 PM »
Hi all!   What can I say - except amazing, breathtaking, fabulous!

Just arrived home after seven hours on various trains and faults on the signals!!   Worn out, very cold but very happy after a wonderful couple of days of beautiful music!

The first concert, which was to celebrate 20 years of Celtic Connections was great fun with lots of people  on stage together, eg Phil Cunningham, John McC and Mike McG, Julie Fowlis, Karen Mathieson and Capercaillie, etc!   Oh, and about twenty or so members of Scottish Power Pipe Band playing their hearts out!  ;D  We had a gentleman from Miami sitting next to us, who had just flown in on business an hour before the concert and was lucky enough to find someone with a spare ticket.  He loved the show! 

I could hardly wait for the second concert, yesterday and it was everything I expected it to be.

It began with a very beautiful and elegant Portuguese fado singer called Carminho and accompanying her were three really wonderful guitarists.  They gave a truly mesmerising performance and the audience loved it - we did too!

Then Vicente came on to the stage, alone and played some really beautiful guitar.  Eventually the rest of his band arrived on stage and after they had played for a while, Guy, John, Mike, Danny and Donald Shaw joined them for the performance of "Tierra".

It was absolutely amazing and I can't believe how fortunate I was to be there and to hear this beautiful album played live before me in it's entirety!   It was just as beautiful as Guy has said and much more!  Vicente's guitar playing was breathtaking and everyone, including Vicente's band and the celtic musicians, played so well together - it was wonderful!   There were some very Spanish vocals (flamenco) from one member of Vicente's band, who did a lot of hand-wringing and I found him extremely fascinating!  Vicente also did some vocals.

At one point in the proceedings, an interpreter came on to the stage and Vicente spoke to him.  The interpreter then said that Vicente had loved collaborating with the Scottish musicians so much that he hoped it would continue.

One quite funny thing happened in the middle of the concert.  Vincente had obviously broken a fingernail and one of his band went off stage and came back with a nail file!   It reminded me of MK in Sydney when he broke a nail and Jack Sonni went off and brought some nail clippers!

The concert ended to huge applause and standing ovation and there was much hugging onstage!

@dmg  -   The weather was, indeed, snowfree, but extremely cold and very sunny.   We did as much sightseeing as we could in only one day.  We walked to St Mungo's Cathedral and went to the necropylis.  I found it very Gothic and spooky!   We went into the crypt and it was really interesting.   Then we walked down to the River Clyde and eventually back to Argylle Street and Buchanan Street, where we spent the afternoon in The Lighthouse.   There is a Mackintosh exhibition there and I really love his style very much!

Since the concert, I can't get that beautiful music out of my head and I am looking forward to hearing it again on the album, in February!  :)

PS  I think it's possible something from the concert might be on BBC Scotland, because their van was outside the venue!   

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:22:40 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:59 PM »
So glad you had a great time in "sunny" Glasgow!  Someone from my class at school was one of the pipers playing this year - not sure if he played the night you went or not.  He's one of the famous Red Hot Chilli Pipers!

The Royal Concert Hall is a venue in a very convenient location, much easier to get to than the SECC for train links etc.  Of course, the Edinburgh Playhouse is best of all! ;D

Thanks for the review.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
Love Glasgow as a city. And Charles Rennie Mackintosh is very well regarded in this house and, over the years, we have been to many of his buildings in and around Glasgow. I have lost count of the books and the like on CRM that we have around the place. Remember, though, that CRM once wrote: THERE IS HOPE IN HONEST ERROR - NONE IN THE ICY PERFECTIONS OF THE MERE STYLIST. 

I really glad you enjoyed the concert. I think I said that John McCusker and Mike McGoldrick are involved in other concerts at Celtic Connections.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
Glasgow is a cool city, very vibrant and friendly.
It obviously has it's areas that are  er ...not so cool, as other cities do.

Val, you could have taken a taxi to Wheatfield Rd(no 35 I think) where MK stayed for the first 8 years of his life.  It is around 4 miles or so from the city centre in the posh area of Glasgow called Bearsden.

Celtic connections is always broadcast by BBC Scotland, if you have SKY you will be able to view BBC Scotland on that.

Mona Dee

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
superval, thank you so much for your interesting and detailed post ! I can`t wait to listen to the whole album !

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
so is anyone able to record in case bbc scotts decide to air?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
so is anyone able to record in case bbc scotts decide to air?

http://www.celticconnections.com/Events/Pages/Event.aspx?ev=593&ty=Americana

If it's on "normal" telly i.e. BBC and not Sky, then I'll be able to record it onto DVD. 

I've checked this weeks Radio Times and I don't see anything on TV this week.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
When I got Sky, I could make DVDs of programmes but you would need a DVD recorder with a hard drive.

Record the programme to the Sky+ box. Then,later, play the programme on the TV and, at the same time time, record it on to the DVD recorder. Then edit the recording on the DVD recorder, cutting out any adverts and/or beginning/endings not wanted (the machine was accurate to a fraction of asecond). Then record the edited programme directly on to a DVD-R. I still have a lot of those programmes on DVD, even though I haven't been a Sky customer for quite a long time.

Somewher, I have noted the instructions in more explicit detail, if anyone wishes to know.

PS: you can get BBC1 Scotand on Virgin Media but not BBC2 Scotland. You can also get BBC Radio Scotland on Virgin Media  if they ever broadcast the concert. The Virgin Media box allows you to save both radio and TV programmes. How you can then get them on to a CD or DVD, I don't know. If anyone has experience of this, please get in touch.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
When I got Sky, I could make DVDs of programmes but you would need a DVD recorder with a hard drive.

Record the programme to the Sky+ box. Then,later, play the programme on the TV and, at the same time time, record it on to the DVD recorder. Then edit the recording on the DVD recorder, cutting out any adverts and/or beginning/endings not wanted (the machine was accurate to a fraction of asecond). Then record the edited programme directly on to a DVD-R. I still have a lot of those programmes on DVD, even though I haven't been a Sky customer for quite a long time.

Somewher, I have noted the instructions in more explicit detail, if anyone wishes to know.

PS: you can get BBC1 Scotand on Virgin Media but not BBC2 Scotland. You can also get BBC Radio Scotland on Virgin Media  if they ever broadcast the concert. The Virgin Media box allows you to save both radio and TV programmes. How you can then get them on to a CD or DVD, I don't know. If anyone has experience of this, please get in touch.

I have my DVD recorder set up upstairs, where I don't have Sky but do have Freeview.  Due to me having Sky Digital I can record onto the Sky box which explains why I don't need the DVD downstairs.

To be honest, the notorious Sky box is more than temperamental enough for me to start fiddling and connecting DVD recorders to it anyway!

If its on BBC I won't need the Sky box anyway!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
Thanks amigos for reviewing.  ;D

ANd thanks in advance for those who will record the show if it's ever broadcasted. Was it taped btw ??

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/going-out/music-articles/210120-flamenco-guitarist-vicente-amigo-gives-new-album-tierra-a-celtic-twist/

Thats from days before the show  :(

I know it is, but I thought it may be of interest!  ;)     

I have posted my review and that was from the actual concert!!    ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 40 queries.