Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Will we get a DVD/Blu-ray from the 2013 tour?  (Read 8389 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Will we get a DVD/Blu-ray from the 2013 tour?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
Is he did something helpful for MK's career? Look at EC, his fans has a lot of dvd or something like that. Even more than one for every tour. Like dmg said he is way too passive manager.  Ed Bicknell is missing.
:thumbsup

Ed was the man.  I think he kept Mark's game up, if you know what I mean.  MK is getting way too comfortable these days, musically speaking.

No new ideas, bad decisions, horrific product marketing and badly designed tours are all becoming trademarks of PCM unfortunately.  Personally, I think MK deserves better and still miss Ed.

Too comfortable?   2013 will be the 4th year in a row MK has been on tour and he has released his first double album too!    Remember all the years between albums when Ed was manager?   Five years between BIA and OES and another six years between OES and GH!  I think MK is much more active latterly, although I agree that a DVD is way overdue!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »
Exactly he is not God he can't be true everytime, every matter. He need somebody to tell him, ''there's another way and this is not good for you'' or something like that. And i have seriously doubt the man is Paul Crockford. WE have always so much confusion about touring, album session, recording, policy... Actually we don't know anything about anything and nobody asking us to know what we want! I f this is a good management i have no words about it. We need a offical concert dvd. MK have many fans from the whole world, not just North America and Europe.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
Is he did something helpful for MK's career? Look at EC, his fans has a lot of dvd or something like that. Even more than one for every tour. Like dmg said he is way too passive manager.  Ed Bicknell is missing.

Ed was the man.  I think he kept Mark's game up, if you know what I mean.  MK is getting way too comfortable these days, musically speaking.

No new ideas, bad decisions, horrific product marketing and badly designed tours are all becoming trademarks of PCM unfortunately.  Personally, I think MK deserves better and still miss Ed.

Too comfortable?   2013 will be the 4th year in a row MK has been on tour and he has released his first double album too!    Remember all the years between albums when Ed was manager?   Five years between BIA and OES and another six years between OES and GH!  I think MK is much more active latterly, although I agree that a DVD is way overdue!    :)
Don't you think Dire Straits and all the fame is the reason of that? And superval i am just saying but we talking about BIA,OES not KTGC :) We can't see the matter with objective eyes because we're all in MK boat; but from the outside MK's career and reputation is not getting higher i think.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »

[Raising my shield for protection ;)]  I was really meaning quality rather than quantity of work.  I don't think that Ed had anything to do with the output from Mark at this time anyway.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

[Raising my shield for protection ;)]  I was really meaning quality rather than quantity of work.  I don't think that Ed had anything to do with the output from Mark at this time anyway.

:lol !    Well, the only solo album released when Ed was manager was GH and maybe STP to some extent, so do you think the quality of the rest of the solo albums has deteriorated since?
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »
Yes.

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
Yes.

How? Can you be more specific? It is true that MK's post DS days are very different from what we'd been used to but I don't see that the quality of his music has deteriorated. Certainly, he doesn't put on the "guitar extravaganzas" he used to, but I for one am a bit relieved that those have been put to rest. I am not a musician so I can't analyze the quality of what he delivers, but I know what I like - and I like more of his post DS music than I like of his DS era.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »
Yes.

How? Can you be more specific? It is true that MK's post DS days are very different from what we'd been used to but I don't see that the quality of his music has deteriorated. Certainly, he doesn't put on the "guitar extravaganzas" he used to, but I for one am a bit relieved that those have been put to rest. I am not a musician so I can't analyze the quality of what he delivers, but I know what I like - and I like more of his post DS music than I like of his DS era.
O

Well, I fell in love with MFN as soon as I heard that opening solo and that was me hooked.  The guitar work is what made DS stand out most of all from the crowd, along with the distinctive vocals and deep lyrics.  Now that he has abandoned his best asset, for reasons best known to himself, I feel his albums have a little less to offer.  STP was the last guitar focused album IMO and also the last one when Ed was manager.  Perhaps Ed encouraged this angle, perhaps not.  They're still great though!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:54:14 PM by dmg »

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

In my opinion, of course he did! Exactly like dmg says, "The guitar work is what made DS stand out most of all". The STP is my most favourite MK album because it has a great guitar. It was around this time when Ed wanted MK to revive DS, and this album was most DS-ish, so it would have been the perfect time. And I bet Ed had some say into what songs should go on the album. But MK got "tired" of DS and kissed Ed goodbye.

And I also think that Ed plyed a very important part in DS history, he has a huge credit in making DS probably the most succesful band in the 80s.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »
I agree that Ed played an important role in the success of DS. He definitely knows what makes for commercial success! But were the DS years the fulfillment of MK's dream or Ed's?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:55:15 PM by Rkd »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »
I agree that Ed played an important role in the success of DS. He definitely knows what makes for commercial success! But were the DS years the fulfillment of MK's dream or Ed's?

I doubt it's ever been Mark's dream to be hugely successful.  Success is meant for him.  There's absolutely no doubts about Mark's talents both in song writing and guitar playing.  Him and the band were at the right place and at the right time.  Lucks perhaps played some parts for the band's success.

What if we send a petition to PC for a live DVD ? Do you think that might get his attention? After all not only many fans in NA, but also around the world will be left out from this tour, a  live DVD will certainly compensates for it.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
I would also say Ed did a better job than PC.

Musically, there's no possible comparison.
Obviously it's Mark's decision to play "different styles" and PC is very happy with that whereas EB was probably not. Easy conclusion.

To be fair, we should say that MK is still touring and PC is part of the story. Maybe without PC , MK would be retired. Who knows ?

For what else should we credit PCM ?
Pre-sales ? Yeah that's a great thing for 99% people. Sadly there's 1% who think it's not working well and don't trust PCM anymore.
Tour dates and venues ? Well, I've said enough on that. It's a disaster.
Marketing ? The way they release different boxes, different versions, different prices is just disgusting.
Recording policy ? Another great idea....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
I always thought that the difference between Ed and Paul as managers is that Ed was the one guiding MK, and Paul is the one guided by MK.

So yes, this management is more comfortable for MK, because Paul does whatever MK wants, and Paul doesnt push MK about doing this or that.

Ed was better for fans, as MK
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »
.....and "Ragpickers" is probably still my favourite solo album!  MK is obviously very fond of it too, since he has played so many of the songs live.    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
.....and "Ragpickers" is probably still my favourite solo album!  MK is obviously very fond of it too, since he has played so many of the songs live.    ;)

Mine too.

Actually, I don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.