Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 63021 times)

hunter

Re: New for 2023
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2023, 09:10:51 PM »
Don't worry people, let's give Mark a break. Time flies when you have fun, he's most certainly not even aware it takes whole 6 years for a new album.

Six years, that's how long it took between BIA and OES ...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2023, 11:43:35 AM »
Don't worry people, let's give Mark a break. Time flies when you have fun, he's most certainly not even aware it takes whole 6 years for a new album.

Yes and they had effectively disbanded after BIA.  Mark says at the Mandela show "this is the reason we got the band back together."  Then at Knebworth he announces they're going to do another album. 

So there's lots of good stuff in between including a massive world tour, charity shows (2 Princes Trust too), the Randy Newman sessions and touring with Clapton.  Oh yes, and a couple of soundtracks too!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2023, 12:04:05 PM »

Yes and they had effectively disbanded after BIA.  Mark says at the Mandela show "this is the reason we got the band back together."  Then at Knebworth he announces they're going to do another album. 

So there's lots of good stuff in between including a massive world tour, charity shows (2 Princes Trust too), the Randy Newman sessions and touring with Clapton.  Oh yes, and a couple of soundtracks too!

AND Neck and Neck. AND Notting Hillbillies. Very productive period, and when the guitar actually meant something to him.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #288 on: August 15, 2023, 12:22:18 PM »
Apart from the disappointment with yet another delay, I can't imagine that this dragging and tiring process of putting together this solo album over so many years can be gratifying to both of them in any way. Something strange must have happened besides "loving to do everything slow," something Guy is not at liberty to talk about. By now they probably can't stand listening anymore to the songs they started working on in 2020/21 so many years ago.
With the TCT project things can be different, it seems to be a growing project that has taken on another and probably bigger form than originally planned. I understand that. But with the solo album, it seems so strange to me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 12:47:07 PM by skydiver »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #289 on: August 15, 2023, 12:26:21 PM »

AND Neck and Neck. AND Notting Hillbillies. Very productive period, and when the guitar actually meant something to him.

Knebworth was originally billed as Mark Knopfler, not Dire Straits, but got retooled as Dire Straits for he CD/video etc. Very strange.

Two of his best albums were done in this period IMO, Neck and Neck and the Hillbillies.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #290 on: August 15, 2023, 12:37:06 PM »
Apart from the disappointment with yet another delay, I can't imagine that this dragging and tiring process of putting together this solo album over so many years can be gratifying to both of them in any way. Something strange must have happened besides "loving to do everything slow," something Guy is not at liberty to talk about. By now they probably can't stand listening anymore to the songs they started working on in 2020/21 so many years ago ("we don't look back, we only look to the future").
With the TCT project things can be different, it seems to be a growing project that has taken on another and probably bigger form than originally planned. I understand that. But with the solo album, it seems so strange to me.

The musical plus the pandemic didn't exactly help. Plus the passing of the British Grove manager could have put the brakes on a few things as well. But then again as they knew there would be no touring, you'd think they'd have more time to focus on releasing the album.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #291 on: August 15, 2023, 12:52:44 PM »
If this is how long it takes him now then I guess this could be his last album...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #292 on: August 15, 2023, 01:04:23 PM »
Let's not forget that Mark composed and wrote music for musical Local Hero.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »
Unless there are other projects, unforeseen events, and his health is stable, I don't see why he couldn't release one or two more albums.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2023, 01:13:21 PM »
I just want to say that in the last six years he recorded three albums. It's a lot.
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »
I just want to say that in the last six years he recorded three albums. It's a lot.

I would say normally it wouldn't be a lot, but covid made things challenging, plus the Local Hero work has been a lot more complex and time consuming than a regular project. But apart from that, considering Mark's productivity, access to studio space, and people that handle a lot of practical tasks for him, Mark could easily release an album a year or so now that there is no touring.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2023, 01:34:24 PM »

I would say normally it wouldn't be a lot, but covid made things challenging, plus the Local Hero work has been a lot more complex and time consuming than a regular project. But apart from that, considering Mark's productivity, access to studio space, and people that handle a lot of practical tasks for him, Mark could easily release an album a year or so now that there is no touring.

I agree. Maybe the tour was motivating him to release the album on time. Now is different..
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2023, 01:57:38 PM »

Knebworth was originally billed as Mark Knopfler, not Dire Straits, but got retooled as Dire Straits for he CD/video etc. Very strange.

Two of his best albums were done in this period IMO, Neck and Neck and the Hillbillies.

It was billed as DS from the start. In Spain the official Spanish radio was broadcasting a show with songs from all the people involved as they always said it was to be Dire Straits.

The mistake it's in the video, where it says Mark Knopfler, but in all the rest of places you will see DS.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #298 on: August 15, 2023, 02:08:22 PM »

It was billed as DS from the start. In Spain the official Spanish radio was broadcasting a show with songs from all the people involved as they always said it was to be Dire Straits.

The mistake it's in the video, where it says Mark Knopfler, but in all the rest of places you will see DS.

Maybe they said that on the radio in Spain but that was not the case for the event itself.

See below the poster, the programme and the TV broadcast, all billed as Mark Knopfler, even though Clapton says Dire Straits!

image hosting sites

image share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394738852364?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749385&toolid=20006&customid=GB_11233_394738852364.143740370318~1869902156350-g_CjwKCAjwxOymBhAFEiwAnodBLO4h-yCSCn-UP4vqeNskL2LGOEv6RbjZjGk_80y5jbRa9Kx8LRblhRoCNBMQAvD_BwE

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #299 on: August 15, 2023, 02:33:22 PM »
6 years is way too much time for him to make an album, he never took so long.
Maybe Mark has become a grandad and he chooses to spend time with his grandkids. Or maybe doing crosswords with Kitty. What does he actually do on a daily basis? I don't think he even goes shopping, he probably chooses home deliveries.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 45 queries.