Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Do we really want another tour?  (Read 23388 times)

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
Re: Do we really want another tour?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »
It seems to me a lot of people are wanting Mark to continue playing simply for their own pleasure.  Well of course I would attend any show of his without question but this is hardly the point.  I don't want to see him in any poor condition.  I don't want him to receive poor reviews.  I don't want a setlist where the average attendee will not recognise anything because the songs are so obscure so as to avoid any guitar.  The average attendee and, let's face it most of us (even if we don't admit it) want to hear him play.  It isn't just myself I am considering but everyone at the shows and most important of all the mans' legacy and reputation.  I think this is safe at the moment even though people will question omitting some songs from the set.  Next tour, who knows...
It’s of course ok to mean what you mean, but I don’t really understand you at all (and that’s perfectly ok too). ;) But his legacy is his whole production. Nothing can take away that, can it? And why care about what you think others think? Why does that count at all? Why does critics count? It’s not a competition or a poll. What’s wrong with old people? Isn’t diversity a good thing? Shouldn’t we encorage that? If MK wants to play, he plays. If you want to attend, you attend. If you want a younger, faster and healthier MK, you listen to old recordings and watch old videos. The old times has been. Now is now.

“A man’s only as good as his last picture”.  I think this was Douglas Fairbanks.

I care deeply what others think of Mark.  I don't want a 'tourist' attending a show then leaving and telling the world my hero is rubbish just because he didn't bring out his guitar.
That’s just a saying. Absolutely not a fact. And I strongly disagree. My advice to anyone would be: «Do what makes you happy.» «Follow you own dreams, not someone else’s.» «Be youself.» But now I understand why you are saying what you are saying. We think very differently of things, you and I. And that’s cool

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 06:57:19 AM »
It seems to me a lot of people are wanting Mark to continue playing simply for their own pleasure.  Well of course I would attend any show of his without question but this is hardly the point.  I don't want to see him in any poor condition.  I don't want him to receive poor reviews.

But to me, it now also seems that people wants him to stop playing for their own pleasure. They are afraid they will get their memories ruined. So it is not only about Mark, it is a personal thing. That is also a bit selfish, I think.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:08:12 AM by Jarle »
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
It seems to me a lot of people are wanting Mark to continue playing simply for their own pleasure.  Well of course I would attend any show of his without question but this is hardly the point.  I don't want to see him in any poor condition.  I don't want him to receive poor reviews.

But to me, it now also seems that people wants him to stop playing for their own pleasure. They are afraid they will get their memories ruined. So it is not only about Mark, it is a personal thing. That is also a bit selfish, I think.

Absolutely agree.

Some people seem to think that just because we've invested our time and money buying Marks music that he owes us something, a better performance, a different set,  a new tour, a return to an older style of music,  a longer guitar solo, more practice. Some of us want him to change his lifestyle and get fit,  and others want his retirement.

I know that we all care about 'our hero', this man who many on here have never met in person, but this is pure delusion. Mark should and will continue to do what he's always done, do what he wants to do, and please himself. It's what got him to where he is and if it's successful and popular then that's a pure byproduct. If people don't like it then tough, it's not the end of the world, its just music.

Mark could quote Frank Sinatra  "I did it my way", so why change now and 'do it our way', after 40 years in the music industry following his heart?

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
I think a lot of the time, some people just can't or won't accept that Mark has moved on, Dire Straits is now a long and distant memory for Mark, that was the first phase of his career, he has been on the 2nd phase now since 1996. As has been said before, if you want the long guitar hero songs and solo's there is a lot out there to listen to and watch. But Mark is now more happier as a man, and a songwriter, and I am fine with that. So many other artists keep playing in the same way all the time, but Mark doesn't, he dips his toes into so many genres, and adapts his guitar playing accordingly, I always think of Eric Clapton, he is always on stage playing long noodling solo's, and to be honest, that's all he's got, he can't write great songs like Mark, so he has to keep doing the guitar hero thing, so in that way, he hasn't moved forward as an artist. He tours a lot more than Mark, so it's not to much of a big deal to see him play live, but every time Mark tours it's special to me. I never got to see Dire Straits live, I can only imagine how amazing that would have been, but I have been to several of Mark's solo concerts, and I loved just getting to see the man and his guitars in front of me, let only hear him play his wonderful songs. I think Mark is one of the greatest song writers ever, and his guitar playing is unique, his tone and touch are sublime, just look at the way Bonnie Raitt was watching Mark solo, you can see the awe, love and respect she has for his talent. Just look at the videos from this tour, every song was applauded, I didn't hear any booing, at the end of the shows, the applause and cheering was huge, if all those people were not happy with what Mark was doing, they would not have had that reaction. When he does stop playing live, it will be a sad day, but we have many many videos to look back on, and albums of amazing music, lyrics and guitar playing that has enthralled millions of people for decades. I can't speak highly enough of Mark and how he and his music have influenced my life. Just read the comments on YouTube, he is so admired by people young and old, some new to his music, and 99% of the time people love his songs and guitar playing. So, if he tours again, great, I will be there, if he doesn't, thanks for the memories Mark :clap :clap :clap
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
Clapton tours a lot more than Mark?

REALLY?

He does just three concerts at the RAH, and some spare dates at the US and maybe in some countries in Europe. In total, the amount of concerts he play per year is less than 20. Some years he just play the three or four concerts at the RAH...

I don't get why some people, in order to defend MK has to attack other artists, and many times with fake reasons like that one.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
I am not attacking anyone, maybe Eric does tour less.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Mark is the complete musician.  He writes the songs, lyrics and music, he sings and plays them all.   If, one day, he can't tour or perform any more, he will always be able to write and record.  Not many musicians have those talents to fall back on.   I just want Mark to do what he feels able to do and to stop touring when he feels the time is right. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »

But in order to defend your point you need to compare it with Eric, and leaving him in a poor position in a comparation with MK, and that's how you build your defense about MK capacities...

:hmm

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »

But in order to defend your point you need to compare it with Eric, and leaving him in a poor position in a comparation with MK, and that's how you build your defense about MK capacities...

Never mind all that, I love your little avatar.  I've never seen his fingers move that fast since the Golden Heart tour!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »

Never mind all that, I love your little avatar.  I've never seen his fingers move that fast since the Golden Heart tour!  :lol

I found the small video to do it from a link that Quizzy sent the other day, about the CBS piece of news, I loved it so much that I thought I had to do that avatar and use it!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »
Love Guys words from his final diary entry...

'Talk of this being Mark’s final tour has been a feature and anyone who has seen recent shows may recognise that no-one on that stage or behind the scenes wants this to be the end. As for what happens next, let’s not worry about that now. Let’s just relish this moment and enjoy life with music in it because ‘a life without music, is no life at all’.
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
Love Guys words from his final diary entry...

'Talk of this being Mark’s final tour has been a feature and anyone who has seen recent shows may recognise that no-one on that stage or behind the scenes wants this to be the end. As for what happens next, let’s not worry about that now. Let’s just relish this moment and enjoy life with music in it because ‘a life without music, is no life at all’.

Clearly Mark hasn't said his goodbyes to the band with the phrase "see you next time."  It's then almost certain that even Mark doesn't know if he wants to tour again at this point, even if he does say he want to "play 'till he drops" at his shows.  In that case I think it is a little less likely he will be touring again.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
No "so long!" from Richard either. The future is uncertain as far as touring is concerned.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
Sadly, I think so too, but maybe some smaller shows in a few selected places?    :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »
Sadly, I think so too, but maybe some smaller shows in a few selected places?    :think

I can bet any of my guitars that Mark will tour again. Just not a big tour, but something like this (how it should be done, really): https://www.vanmorrison.com/live

Not only Van manages to play sold out shows throughout all year (no album title tour formula), he released 6 albums in time Mark did just 1. Way to go, Sir Van.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 04:13:08 PM by quizzaciously »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.