Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Europe?  (Read 25432 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Europe?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 03:08:05 PM »
We hear only the tiniest articles here on this situation.

There is more coverage of Scotland's impending referendum which also fascinates me, does Scotland have a great economy? Apart from its incredible liquid island exports!!

It's difficult to say whether we have a good economy or not.  It depends on what figures you look at and what way they've been adjusted!    Our initial state, if we went independent would be worse than the rest of the UK because government spending per person is higher in Scotland than the rest of the UK.  This is more than matched though by greater revenues from oil and gas, but over the longer term as oil and gas - and the reserves they bring - dwindle.  The tax system would need adjusting with increases.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
OK, after 2-3 years of riots and "rebellions" around the Mediterranean, Ukraine is the first country in Europe that is tormented by the same problems. Needless to say that I never believed in any of these spontaneous "rebellions". Always other interests helping the "rebels" to take over and take control of the resources of the countries for peanuts. So what do you think? I am mostly interested of how each country's media present the situation!

Almost exactly the same situation down here in Brazil. The Ucranian protesters, like Venezuelan, are pictured as "warriors of freedom". There are protests going on here as well. Firstly, they were also portraied as good souls in search of a better country. Now the violence is the tonic of the acts, and people begin to see that they are against everything, but do not know what they are in favour of. For instance, the protesters are against the World Cup in Brazil, now that everything is done, but don't have a clue of what to do with the structures already made. They are against corruption, but don't see it as a plague that is brought by every single party, not only with the current presidential side. An so on.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
I am afraid Nababo that the problem of taking a side will be a nutter. So difficult to break that drives you nuts. Naom Chomsky has described it perfectly when he said that the media ( and the people that control them) have the power to present people either as freedom fighters or terrorists. And since the world is so big that you can not possibly know the truth first hand, although we generally are under the impression that it is small and we have an opinion about everything-held tight as true, we are the easy victims of misinformation.
But still, I think the solution can not be found in the political structures of the countries that we call democratic. And since most people can't find a solution, but abhor violence, we receive a constant negative. This is a pseudo dilemma really. The solution is right in front of our eyes. It will cost us in short term, but will get us out of such economic crisis once and for all. The solution is actually slowing down and taking steps back from the technological and consumerism "culture" that has become a golden calf the last 30-60 years. We have to put ecology first, and solve with bold moves the social problems of housing, food, health, education and communication. These are things that every citizen of the world should have, for free. Political parties are in fact a part of the problem, because their viewpoint of the world starts within the problem. Ukraine for instance was called the wheat field of Europe, yet people there do not have bread on their table. I think that sometimes, starting with a big loud NO, is more meaningful than saying yes, because it reveals a change in conscience of the people. And this has a cost, because the people that control the money will just fight back, withholding of currency, imbalance the trade-markets and creating  shortages of necessities. It is crazy if you think about it, but how most countries of the world have lost their sovereignty by owing billions... Countries that if they were run correctly they would be self reliant, like big corporations that take care of their workers.       
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
I am afraid Nababo that the problem of taking a side will be a nutter. So difficult to break that drives you nuts. Naom Chomsky has described it perfectly when he said that the media ( and the people that control them) have the power to present people either as freedom fighters or terrorists. And since the world is so big that you can not possibly know the truth first hand, although we generally are under the impression that it is small and we have an opinion about everything-held tight as true, we are the easy victims of misinformation.
But still, I think the solution can not be found in the political structures of the countries that we call democratic. And since most people can't find a solution, but abhor violence, we receive a constant negative. This is a pseudo dilemma really. The solution is right in front of our eyes. It will cost us in short term, but will get us out of such economic crisis once and for all. The solution is actually slowing down and taking steps back from the technological and consumerism "culture" that has become a golden calf the last 30-60 years. We have to put ecology first, and solve with bold moves the social problems of housing, food, health, education and communication. These are things that every citizen of the world should have, for free. Political parties are in fact a part of the problem, because their viewpoint of the world starts within the problem. Ukraine for instance was called the wheat field of Europe, yet people there do not have bread on their table. I think that sometimes, starting with a big loud NO, is more meaningful than saying yes, because it reveals a change in conscience of the people. And this has a cost, because the people that control the money will just fight back, withholding of currency, imbalance the trade-markets and creating  shortages of necessities. It is crazy if you think about it, but how most countries of the world have lost their sovereignty by owing billions... Countries that if they were run correctly they would be self reliant, like big corporations that take care of their workers.     

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the input.
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:14 AM »
Became facebook 'friends' with Marks brother, and now I've made a comment based on his status reflecting the Crimean situ - he's an interesting chap! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
The last couple of months, after the elction of the new leftish government in Greece, many things have happened in Europe, and in turn affected the world. The currencey, the political balances and alliances, the future of of some general elections in Europeetc. Unfortunately most media focus on how the Greek economy  minister looks like or dresses, while they should analyze if what he says is logical, true and viable.  If the current situation is viable in the long run or if it works for the citizens of Europe. A change should come.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 38 queries.