Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 63685 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New for 2023
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2023, 01:59:10 PM »
I attended the DS Legacy gig in Alicante last month and I had the chance of talking with Danny Cummings, I asked a few things and obviously he couldn't tell me much about MK record, but he said something intriguing for me, maybe I misunderstood him, but I think he said something like "MK was very brave".

Looking again at the pictures of the tour diary, I guess he means musically and that some of the songs have a style that is new for him, or it is not what we are used too. I seems to recall a stringed instrument that is played with two little hammers that I think is typical from countries like Romania.

Yes! I've been thinking about it for a long time. There's Seana Davey on the harp. There's Ed Cervenka on cymbals. There will be some surprising songs for sure.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2023, 03:14:01 PM »
I attended the DS Legacy gig in Alicante last month and I had the chance of talking with Danny Cummings, I asked a few things and obviously he couldn't tell me much about MK record, but he said something intriguing for me, maybe I misunderstood him, but I think he said something like "MK was very brave".

Looking again at the pictures of the tour diary, I guess he means musically and that some of the songs have a style that is new for him, or it is not what we are used too. I seems to recall a stringed instrument that is played with two little hammers that I think is typical from countries like Romania.

Hmm, could be interpreted in another way, it would be brave to make a record while seriously ill...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2023, 03:54:19 PM »

Hmm, could be interpreted in another way, it would be brave to make a record while seriously ill...

I understood it in a musical way, specially since I don't expect Danny doing such a comment to someone he doesn't know at all.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »
GF:

Ed Cervenka came in and added some Cimbalom, an intriguing instrument and Seána Davey played Harp on a song.

It is interesting. I remember this photo but I don't see it in GF diaries
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2023, 04:16:25 PM »
Maybe this album is Mark's magnum opus, where he totally releases his creative forces and really goes for it? I'd love that. I loved what he did on the Altamira soundtrack. Great (but understated) guitar playing, interesting percussion and sounds, etc. I'd love for him to incorporate that into his solo work.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2023, 07:19:41 PM »
Maybe this album is Mark's magnum opus, where he totally releases his creative forces and really goes for it? I'd love that. I loved what he did on the Altamira soundtrack. Great (but understated) guitar playing, interesting percussion and sounds, etc. I'd love for him to incorporate that into his solo work.

Frankly, even Down The Road Wherever feels like a "last album" contender. It has this vibe to it, as in "see you down the road wherever", a great goodbye phrase. Nobody knows how long each of us will live though, who knows maybe it's only half of Mark's career? Anything could happen, good or bad. Luckily, Mark always releases good stuff. I'll accept almost anything from him, as long as it's not too pop.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2023, 10:24:30 AM »
I remember the same thoughts when Get Lucky album came out. Not only the ending of the album was a reflection on dying... And also Get Lucky tour book was very different from the album booklet...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:29:02 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2023, 02:58:39 PM »
Maybe he has lost his mojo. If he had any motivation at all I'm sure it would've been done and dusted by now.

I don't think that's necessarily true (although it could be, of course). More likely, he just won't be rushed anymore. And why would he? He's got nothing to prove, and he's written and played more great songs than almost anybody else on the planet. It's great that he's still creating, but it's not that we urgently need 10 or 20 new songs from him. Jimi Hendrix died at 27, and no one complains day-in, day-out that he's no longer delievering anything new. We just enjoy what we have, and in the case of Mark, that's a lot.

The one wish I have for the new album is that it will be on a level with all the previous ones. If he needs more time to make sure that it is, that's more than fine by me.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »
I don't think anyone is asking for it to be rushed. It's not like it's just 3 months since the last record, which WOULD be rushed. 2018->2023 is anything but rushed. Hell, even if it came out in 2020 it wouldn't be.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #324 on: August 20, 2023, 09:50:02 PM »
I don't think anyone is asking for it to be rushed. It's not like it's just 3 months since the last record, which WOULD be rushed. 2018->2023 is anything but rushed. Hell, even if it came out in 2020 it wouldn't be.

I think they mean "rushed" not in the sense of time spent recording, mixing, etc., but how they are unsure about releasing it more quickly. They don't want to rush it.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2023, 12:39:10 PM »
But why? This question is still valid. Changing the order of songs is probably not complicated.
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2023, 12:58:09 PM »
But why? This question is still valid. Changing the order of songs is probably not complicated.

I, for one, am a good example of a man who rushes like crazy. I rushed the production of some of my videos so much, that I still to this day lament about working a little bit more on those. Just one day of extra work would fix years of pain later. And it's just simple videos, imagine working on something that's going to last for eternity. So I have no questions for Mark whatsoever — if he wants 10 years to do it, go ahead.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2023, 01:15:35 PM »

I, for one, am a good example of a man who rushes like crazy. I rushed the production of some of my videos so much, that I still to this day lament about working a little bit more on those. Just one day of extra work would fix years of pain later. And it's just simple videos, imagine working on something that's going to last for eternity. So I have no questions for Mark whatsoever — if he wants 10 years to do it, go ahead.

I agree. We just really want this album. 6 years... But ok
... It's my way, has to be true...
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2023, 01:50:15 PM »
alex_pj:
How would you define the new album?

GF:

Difficult question. Obviously it’s good. Let’s put it this way, a certain mastering meister, thought it was a masterpiece.
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2023, 06:57:20 PM »
...but the next after that one will be even better  :smack
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.