Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 275475 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #1095 on: September 13, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
Well dear friends,yesterday i wrote to the universal music Portugal,asking when the new album of Mark is going to be released.Today they answer:`The new album of Mark Knopfler its set to be in November`...So they don´t tell me the day only the month!!!cheers ;)

I guess if someone from Universal, even in Portugal, didn't mind about answering about the month of the release, means that the announcement is really close. I hope it's today or tomorrow, that's my hope...

At Universal Nederland they didn't know anything yet. That is what they told a friend of me and Amit yesterday.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1096 on: September 13, 2018, 09:39:18 AM »
Well dear friends,yesterday i wrote to the universal music Portugal,asking when the new album of Mark is going to be released.Today they answer:`The new album of Mark Knopfler its set to be in November`...So they don´t tell me the day only the month!!!cheers ;)

I guess if someone from Universal, even in Portugal, didn't mind about answering about the month of the release, means that the announcement is really close. I hope it's today or tomorrow, that's my hope...

At Universal Nederland they didn't know anything yet. That is what they told a friend of me and Amit yesterday.

Or they take more seriously the "don't say anything" than in Portugal, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »

Or they take more seriously the "don't say anything" than in Portugal, LOL

I’ve also emailed Universal Nederland and Belgium.
Nothing so far.....

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »

I would not be so sure about a close announcement. Today the black eyed peas announced a new album for october 12. So thats 4 weeks.... That is also a strategy.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »

I would not be so sure about a close announcement. Today the black eyed peas announced a new album for october 12. So thats 4 weeks.... That is also a strategy.

More time to get a leak... as usual.  :smack

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #1100 on: September 13, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »
That's the good thing about it. The album is the "real deal". I appreciate very much the effort he takes in producing them, "craft them" as he once called it himself. And I once called his albums children and you love all your children and when they are born they are with you your whole life.

I just wished he would take the same efforts in re-thinking his touring habits. Lesser shows, Smaller venues, longer breaks etc..

LE

I have to agree with LE to a certain extent. Mark's live shows aren't as good as his earlier ones, it's true. But it's also not very surprising - no artist at his age will become a better performer. A better songwriter, maybe, but certainly not a better player and singer. That would be biologically impossible. You simply loose some of your energy and physical skills with age. That said, I still enjoy going to Mark's shows, just like I enjoy seeing Dylan live (who is barely a shadow of what he was two decades ago). I mainly go to these shows to be in the presence of artists I adore. I makes me feel special to actually see them. And then there's always at least one or two nice surprises in every concert, be it just a guitar lick or a vocal phrasing I didn't expect.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #1101 on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
I skip R&J since years now. Am I bad now?

Depending on your drinking habits and bladder size, you might get away with this. ;)

But I was referring to albums rather than concerts (which naturally feature some classics again and again). It's the skipping of album songs I don't understand, especially since Mark is one of the very few artists who simply don't do bad songs. Also, to limit Tracker to Laughs, Basil and Beryl and to skip songs like Mighty Man, Taormina or Silver Eagle is beyond my understanding. I've go no problem with strong opinions, Steinei, but if you don't even like his best songs, I'm really wondering what attracts you to Mark Knopfler. You might be better off at some Dire Straits Legacy tribute gig.

Love Expresso

« Reply #1102 on: September 13, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Of course ... thinking about being so close... being in the same room with the man who brought me so much joy and great music over the last 33 years since I discovered him is absolute something. To me the question is, can another concert add something to it? If I have the feeling that he himself sees it just as a routine more or less (and I apologize for having that feeling to all moaner-moaners) than how can I NOT have the same feeling of that routine?
Compared to many other shows and sets he is still top notch of course. But maybe 25 times is enough.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #1103 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
I confess I have the usual one skipper on almost every album, funny enough. On Privateering it's Hot Or What, can't stand this "lazy" vocal style, and as it is a double album, Blood And Water on the second half.
On Tracker it's clearly Lights Of Taomina and most of the time Wherever I Go. On Get Lucky, it's You Can't Beat The House... on KTGC it's nothing really..

LE

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:09:01 PM by Love Expresso »

hunter

« Reply #1104 on: September 13, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
I think no one (in their right mind anyway) expects Mark to produce a live show with the same energy he had 15-20 years ago. Or even five years ago. Ageing can happen quite rapidly when it first sets in. I think on the whole that Mark has handled the late phase of his career well and is "ageing gracefully", but in some ways I wish he'd let go of the more demanding tunes in terms of guitar playing as they clearly suffer. I don't know if it's just because of a lack of interest in technical guitar playing on Mark's part (and thereby not too much practice), or if it's a physical condition. A combination maybe? But he has all the right, after so many years, to say he's done with Sultans and the like. I forget the name of that blues tune he played on Bill Wyman's birthday concert, but that kind of guitar playing he copes with well. It goes to show it is possible to compose and perform rocking, fun tunes without guitar pyrotechnics.

Love Expresso

« Reply #1105 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
He can play what he wants as long as he is having fun playing it. It's only hard to believe that he really still can develop some fun with the likes of Corned Beef City, Marbletown or others.

About skippers: It's not automatically the reason that it's a bad song, sometimes I just skip them because they disturb the flow of the album. Like You Can't Beat the House, or One World.

LE
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:08:43 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1106 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »
I confess I have the usual one skipper on almost every album, funny enough. On Privateering it's Hot Ir What, can't stand this "lazy" vocal style, and as it is a double album, Blood And Water on the second half.
On Tracker it's clearly Lights Of Taomina and most of the time Wherever I Go. On Get Lucky, it's You Can't Beat The House... on KTGC it's nothing really..

LE

Geez...seems you listen to a LOT more of this newer stuff than I do but you say well for the both of us! LOL

For me I can literally pick out about 3 or 4 that I will actually listen to of his latest few records and skip all the rest.

I agree with Rail King though regarding the concerts;  it's all about the live experience and that different lick or phrasing moment.  Then there's the moment he plays a rare song or tells a different joke at your concert and you remember that!  Also meeting old friends again is something to look forward to. The very fact I can look back on concerts I have attended over the years and have good memories says a lot about what they mean to me, so I'll keep going.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #1107 on: September 13, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »
The fact that it's an "album" is very important to me. When I listen to MK, I don't do anything else. It's not in the background of daily work or so. It's fully awareness of taking the time and listen to this or that album, and then in it's completeness. Eyes and doors and windows closed, ears wide opened.  :lol

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1108 on: September 13, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
The fact that it's an "album" is very important to me. When I listen to MK, I don't do anything else. It's not in the background of daily work or so. It's fully awareness of taking the time and listen to this or that album, and then in it's completeness. Eyes and doors and windows closed, ears wide opened.  :lol

LE

Interesting.  To me it's just a collection of songs, which it's clearly not intended to be, but I don't take it so regimented.  It's not exactly like watching your favourite scenes from a film for example IMHO.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1109 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »

LE

I listen to them driving to work and back home, I have a distance enough to listen an entire record and I agree with you, sometimes a song doesn't fit and ruin in a way the flow of the record. For me it's "You can't beat the house" that doesn't fit with the perfection that to me is "Get Licky" record, or "True love" in "Crimson".

Tracker has too many out of flow songs to my taste. It's the MK record that with time only went worse to me, while the usual is that Mk record grow better with time...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 49 queries.