Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 39589 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Reviews
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
I hope that with the release we also get the usual official press kit in text and video... He usually talks about most of the songs there.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »
I hope that with the release we also get the usual official press kit in text and video... He usually talks about most of the songs there.

Would be great indeed. Something like the 'Track by Track' -video he did for Tracker would be nice.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:59 PM »

Would be great indeed. Something like the 'Track by Track' -video he did for Tracker would be nice.

That was brilliant.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
Yes it was, apart from Mark sitting at the desk of his high end studio and playing music from an apple Notebook .. instead of using the technical fascilities..

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Yes it was, apart from Mark sitting at the desk of his high end studio and playing music from an apple Notebook .. instead of using the technical fascilities..

LE

Lol that' a very interesting observation, never thought about that. Reminds me this "not listen to MP3" stuff...
Honestly, speakers on laptops and phones are so good nowadays and so enjoyable, that I often "do it" like this.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:58 AM »

Amercican Sogwriter

Mark Knopfler: Down the Road Wherever

Written By Hal Horowitz /

It has been clear, back from his first solo album in 1996, that Mark Knopfler was not entirely comfortable with the guitar-slinging rock-star image cultivated in the “Money For Nothing” years of Dire Straits’ most commercially successful period. Since then, his non-soundtrack solo albums — this is his ninth — have edged into quieter, more pastoral areas. He has continued to explore the space around his notes, creating often atmospheric songs where his honey and salt blue-collar vocals meshed with music that was tamped down and rustic. While these are all beautifully and artfully crafted, most haven’t found wider audiences beyond an existing cult willing to follow Knopfler down these more sensitive, often folk- and Celtic-inflected avenues.

Like Eric Clapton, Knopfler is more concerned about the song than the fret shredding he’s certainly capable of, and that extends to this new 14 (16 on the deluxe edition) track collection. But just when you think this is another lush, lovely, slightly lazy soundtrack for your favorite coffee shop on Sunday morning, the singer-songwriter throws in some changeups that push this into diverse and intriguing territory.

Press play on the opening “Trapper Man” and you immediately hear … nothing. Then softly picked guitar and finally 30 seconds in, the drums kick out, urging the music into moderate rocking territory. Female backing vocals and Knopfler’s trademarked snakelike guitar winds and curls around this story of the titular character as it moves to a funky break creating a groove you wish he would tap into more often. And there’s more similar to it. On “Nobody Does That,” Knopfler employs punchy horns to accentuate the JJ Cale-styled lope on one of the album’s most unusual, jazzy and catchy selections.

He gets reflective on “Just a Boy Away from Home,” a look back as his young dreams meet the harsh glow of older reality, all in a slow yet insistent rhythm (with refined horns again), not far from Little Feat territory. Knopfler tills Bryan Ferry’s restrained party vibe for “Back on the Dancefloor,” bringing Imelda May in on harmony vocals and working a sensual sway that’s hypnotic in its rhythmic underpinnings. He even echoes his Dire Straits days for the hooky “Good on You Son,” complete with a nifty sax/guitar call and response for this disc’s most vibrant moment.

There are also a handful of softer, charming, noir pieces as Knopfler finds his inner Sinatra for the piano based supper club jazz of “Slow Learner” and the sweet, somewhat schmaltzy “When You Leave.” The closing solo acoustic James Taylor-influenced “Matchstick Men” leaves us in a familiar area as Knopfler picks slow and sweet, singing in his most intimate voice. This expansion into different musical genres and styles helps make On the Road Wherever a varied, uncommon yet inviting wander off Mark Knopfler’s usual path. He’s probing fresh sounds with the class and sophistication we’ve come to expect from this gifted veteran, whose MTV days seem like blurry images in a rear view mirror.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 03:44:33 PM »
https://www.welt.de/kultur/pop/article183840650/Mark-Knopflers-neues-Album-Das-ist-fast-schon-tanzbar.html

Another great review: The author says: Dire-Straits leader Mark Knopfler has made a new solo album. Does this interest us? Yes, because "Down The Road Wherever" is his best for 30 years.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
I'm glad because I see that I am not alone with my positive review. It seems there are many.
Another french one also says that the album will please DS fans.... I am not the only one to say this....

OfflineKnopflerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
Another very positive review in the Elmore Magazine:

http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2018/11/reviews/albums/mark-knopfler-down-the-road-wherever

Quote: "The result is a delight, an album that again sparkles with Knopfler’s eye to detail, his story-telling lyricism, melodic magic, and downright original, vital fretwork, always an outstanding, masterful masterclass in itself.
A truly delightful release, rippling with Knopfler’s own musical stamp, stature and charisma."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »
So happy to see these reviews!
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineKnopflerado

• Guitar George

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »

OfflineAMARKINTIME

• Guitar George
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
https://www.welt.de/kultur/pop/article183840650/Mark-Knopflers-neues-Album-Das-ist-fast-schon-tanzbar.html

Another great review: The author says: Dire-Straits leader Mark Knopfler has made a new solo album. Does this interest us? Yes, because "Down The Road Wherever" is his best for 30 years.

The author says too: „Drovers’ Road“ und vor allem „Matchstick Man“ sind typisch pathetische Knopfler-Balladen ("Drovers' Road" and especially "Matchstick Man" are typically pathetic Knopfler ballads)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
Only enthusiastic reviews. I am happy  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »

The author says too: „Drovers’ Road“ und vor allem „Matchstick Man“ sind typisch pathetische Knopfler-Balladen ("Drovers' Road" and especially "Matchstick Man" are typically pathetic Knopfler ballads)

Hopefully this is a reference to MK's use of pathos rather than the usual use of the adjective 'pathetic' in English!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 37 queries.