Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT TV  (Read 201224 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: AMIT TV
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Yes, in the film Comfort and Joy actor Bill Forsyth's character mentions It Never Rains in the film (he is a deejay) and also an extract from TR (the intro) is played as incidental music.  Never thought I'd say TR is incidental music! :o

I have seen the movie twice and I like the sparce direction very much, but it was never meant to be a blockbuster. The Comfort and Joy 3 track soundtrack which is not that easy to find, but not impossible either, must be heard together with LoG as the soundtrack of the movie. It is like the thing we were talking about in another irrelevant thread! ;D The director must have liked the demos and used them, cause TR parts used sound a bit different to me. But the rest of the titles I have seen in a Greek magazine interview and they are surely early versions of songs that ended up as the finished ones we know. Many artists try to copyright their songs even at an early stage but they have to give a name even if it is temporary.

Twisting by the pool was issued in this CD-Video format but I have seen at least one more edition on ebaywith different cover and not in a slimcase. No other info I am afraid. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
I don't know how many people outside of the UK (or indeed Scotland) know, but Comfort and Joy is based on the true story of Glasgow's "ice cream wars" in the 1980s:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Twisting by the pool had two editions in cd video with the three audio songs included, one by warner and one by polygram/vertigo/whatever, one of them with bigger cover.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
I don't know how many people outside of the UK (or indeed Scotland) know, but Comfort and Joy is based on the true story of Glasgow's "ice cream wars" in the 1980s:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

God, is that true? I cant believe it... Watching the film I thought it was just a joke about some mafias but... Dmg you made my day ;)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
Yes, dmg, thank you for bringing it to our attention! The evidence was really crap. And what an ending. Like "In the name of the father" .
Yes, everybody believes in the honesty of the police. And the judges for that matter...

But if it all happened by April 1984, how did they released the film also in 1984?

I saw the film with double interest because my wife works most of her life in an ice cream factory-shop! The first 5 minutes are cinema highlight. When he sees her packing and asks what is going on and her answer:"Oh, I am leaving, I've been meaning to tell you for a long time but it never came up" or something is magnificent!! (and bloody painful, when all human has is logic and language to express it)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
I saw that film in a moment of my life that I didnt understand english at all, well, just a little, but not what you need to understand a film made in Glasgow!!!!!

:-P

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Yes, dmg, thank you for bringing it to our attention! The evidence was really crap. And what an ending. Like "In the name of the father" .
Yes, everybody believes in the honesty of the police. And the judges for that matter...

But if it all happened by April 1984, how did they released the film also in 1984?

I saw the film with double interest because my wife works most of her life in an ice cream factory-shop! The first 5 minutes are cinema highlight. When he sees her packing and asks what is going on and her answer:"Oh, I am leaving, I've been meaning to tell you for a long time but it never came up" or something is magnificent!! (and bloody painful, when all human has is logic and language to express it)

I was only a young boy at the time but remember it being on the news at night quite often.  I think the court cases started around '84 but the violence between families involved had been going on for a while before that.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
I saw that film in a moment of my life that I didnt understand english at all, well, just a little, but not what you need to understand a film made in Glasgow!!!!!

Say that in Glasgow and you'll get what's known locally as a Glasgow kiss;  a headbutt! :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

Say that in Glasgow and you'll get what's known locally as a Glasgow kiss;  a headbutt! :lol

I guess I

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »

I guess I

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
My second (or third-haven't made up my mind) favourite band lives and works in Glasgow: Belle and Sebastian. Stuart Murdoch, the main songwriter, lead singer etc. was directing his first film during this summer. God help the girl. Did you notice anything? (OK it sounds as if I think that Glasgow is a small village, but just in case) And Ian Rantkin with inspector Rembous is living there as well and most of his stories are located in Glasgow. He is the only modern detective stories writer I can bare and read.

And if you come by Athens, ice cream is on me. It is really an addiction.  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:03 PM »
My second (or third-haven't made up my mind) favourite band lives and works in Glasgow: Belle and Sebastian. Stuart Murdoch, the main songwriter, lead singer etc. was directing his first film during this summer. God help the girl. Did you notice anything? (OK it sounds as if I think that Glasgow is a small village, but just in case) And Ian Rantkin with inspector Rembous is living there as well and most of his stories are located in Glasgow. He is the only modern detective stories writer I can bare and read.

Despite Edinburgh being our capital city, Glasgow is actually Scotland's largest.  Population: 598,830

Rebus patrols the streets of Edinburgh, nicknamed Athens of the north!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »

Despite Edinburgh being our capital city, Glasgow is actually Scotland's largest.  Population: 598,830

Edinburgh is a very nice city, but calling it Athens of the north, just because of Calton Hill, is way too much  :lol

A beautiful hill by the way, wonderful views of all over the city, and what a city!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

Edinburgh is a very nice city, but calling it Athens of the north, just because of Calton Hill, is way too much  :lol

A beautiful hill by the way, wonderful views of all over the city, and what a city!

Also nicknamed "auld reekie" due to the smells from the breweries you used to get many years ago as you were entering the city at Fountainbridge area. ;D

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »

But wasn't Glasgow once the capital?
Love over gold, mind over matter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.