Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY  (Read 168959 times)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
Re: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
There are similar gaps in the touring plans of EC (7 Mar - 27 Apr), John McCusker (9 Mar - 8 Apr), Willie Nelson (10 Mar - 27 Mar). Coincidence?  :think

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
now that would be an interesting combination?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Guy Always says tours are planned almost 1 year before they really take off......

surferboy

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
As I confess to beeing a real "MK-get-a-lifer" and as I can't wait for some substantial news from BG, here is my summary of the inbetween the lines info of Guy's answers:
About five months back from now on September 20th Guy confirmed being back in BG with Mark.
Never before has pre-production-work taken so extremly long, even if you take away the mini-US-tour, the Christmas break and the "distractions".
My first possible explanation of a MK solo accoustic recording with the help of Guy has become rather unlikely since Guy mentioned that Mark uses various electric guitars.
So why the long time with just the two of them? Maybe they prepare more than one project? A full MK recording and a film soundtrack or something similar (dream, dream little boy)?
As Guy said that the collaboration is more a guest appearance, the idea of another proper duet album like the one with Emily is also unlikely, but that would have been a good explanation for the long and killing secrecy on Guy's side which will last half a year in mid March!!!
Finally there are hints that their time in the studio will continue for quite some time: band members are touring in the spring, there has been only "a little discussion" about guest musicians and they "are not thinking that far ahead" as concerns an album release time frame. And if I am not mistaken, the recording of previous albums always had at least two seperate recording sessions with band members.

For me it all comes down to the nagging question: does this as of now already endanger a 2015 MK tour, given Marks traditional schedule of realease in September and tour in Spring or am I worrying tooooo much?

Your thoughts on this are highly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:38:28 AM by surferboy »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
If we think in the usual MK schedule, the band might be now or next month if we expect a release in September and tour next year, but that looks unlikely with the info Guy gave us...

Maybe touring next year could be still possible, it happened with Emmylou cd that they release the cd and went on tour in two months or so, but with MK solo releases things always went different.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
If we think in the usual MK schedule, the band might be now or next month if we expect a release in September and tour next year, but that looks unlikely with the info Guy gave us...

Maybe touring next year could be still possible, it happened with Emmylou cd that they release the cd and went on tour in two months or so, but with MK solo releases things always went different.

Golden Heart was released in Spring 1996 and toured soon afterwards.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »

Golden Heart was released in Spring 1996 and toured soon afterwards.

Thats before the usual MK schedule, that started with STP, since then, with the only exception of the Emmylou records, the schedule was always

- release in september
- promo in autumm
- tour starting spring next year, until summer

However, I always thought that they took too much time after finishing recording and releasing. I know that when the recording is finished, they have to compile, add overdubs, mastering, designing the cover, booklet, work on distributions etc for the release date... but, would ut be possible that the band comes in spring this year and release the cd in september this year?

I dont really know how all those works take, but if they were releasing in septemer because its the time that it takes... I dont expect a release this year, at least in september...

LoveExpresso

« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
Mark was talking astonshingly open about his "60-song-book" with a lot of unreleased material. I was suprised about him mentioning that - together with his Privateering-interviews where he said that it was double just because of pure inspiration, we might expect a 3-CD-Box, or another double, and the long work in the studio might just be a result of MANY songs being recorded right now...  ::)

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
Maybe he is not recording a new cd... Maybe its just shaping into real songs some of that 60 songs from his laptop, for, lets say, the future  ;D

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
GF: We are in Studio 2, 'experimenting' with Mark's songs whilst recording.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
dude, a 3cd? i would soooooooooooo buy it. this discussion went on elsewhere, and i stick to my opinion, the more the merrier. i'd rather have 10 bad songs more then miss out on one new Long Highway (did this on purpose, for my good friend dmg)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
GF: We are in Studio 2, 'experimenting' with Mark's songs whilst recording.

GF: I AM working on GF 3 this week and it's all sounding good after a long hiatus.

So thery are busy... but he has time to work on his solo projects also?  :hmm
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
I want a 4track release

telegraph tunnel planet sultans from on the night

I can pay any sum

everyone has his holy grail

mine would be the whole communique album in demo version (like WDYYG on MFN comp)

it does exist, as it's explained in the Oldfield book :
all songs, except Communique composed at Nassau, had been recorded as demos in London (I guess around octobre-november 78) and as they were very impressive, Beckett used to joke about them : "you already done the album in one take, we just have to do it again"

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
I want a 4track release

telegraph tunnel planet sultans from on the night

I can pay any sum

everyone has his holy grail

mine would be the whole communique album in demo version (like WDYYG on MFN comp)

it does exist, as it's explained in the Oldfield book :
all songs, except Communique composed at Nassau, had been recorded as demos in London (I guess around octobre-november 78) and as they were very impressive, Beckett used to joke about them : "you already done the album in one take, we just have to do it again"

Well, the band did play songs like SHS and OUATITW on tour in 1978 so they would probably sound something along the lines of these arrangements.  I think LW was played too, also slightly differently.  Oh, and FMH at a faster pace from one show (can't recall right now).  I reckon these demos would probably have these early arrangements.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
Well, the band did play songs like SHS and OUATITW on tour in 1978 so they would probably sound something along the lines of these arrangements.  I think LW was played too, also slightly differently.  Oh, and FMH at a faster pace from one show (can't recall right now).  I reckon these demos would probably have these early arrangements.

FMH : Amsterdam Paradisio 23/10/1978

yes agree about arrangements.

we have all songs from the first album (except Lions) in demo version, so I find it would be great to have also the communique album (and well all albums... ;D)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 43 queries.