Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY  (Read 168946 times)

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
Re: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
Hello!

bluebird... just mind blowing!!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Great MK blues songs for me are You and Your Friend (Live) and Fade To Black (Live) plus Planet of New Orleans
agree. and bluebird, and blood and water and the privateering bonus songs.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
I must confess that the first few months after its release, River Of Grog did not work for me, I did not like that song at all. But in the meantime, I really
LOVE it! His singing is great, the guitar sounds great, the melody is unusual, a little complicated and just creepy, great song!!!

I really thought if MK would ever do an album like this song, just the man and the guitar (and maybe sometimes an electric like on the Bonus-live-version of Baloney Again) it would be perfectly well for me!!

River of Grog.

Bluebird is a great blues track, also Today is Okay, but Got To Have Something is sometimes underrated. It is great, too, much better for to to listen to than the boring Kingdom of Gold... plus Jim is doing some great stuff there.

LE

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
Gator Blood played live (late in the tour) is wonderful. I love this swamp rocky blues sound (could be a Tony Joe White song).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:20:42 PM by El Macho »
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

LoveExpresso

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »
Indeed it is. I love the live versions, too, (my favourite is Padova) and think that the studio version lacks a cool intro. It is quite disturbing for me how the song starts on the album. Hope that GB makes it onto the next set lists.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Guy answered me to one question in his forum regarding if the band has been called for sessions, and he says that there is no dates for that yet, or something like that as I dont recall the exact answer and cant check it now...

Maybe we can forget about a 2015 tour... When I got his answer I checked the previous recording diaries and there is always a more or less long period of Mk and Guy alone, then the band comes, sometimes in two different periods, one around the end of the year, and another one at the beguining of next year, which is the release year...

So, if the MK musicians, that are the most busy musicians as they are working in tons of recordings in Nashville, were not called to any date yet, maybe this is gonna be more slower than we thought...

Recordings with the band around fall/winter 2014
Final recordings during the beguining of 2015
Release in september 2015
Tour starting spring 2016

Check previous recording diaries and you will see that this fits better with MK routine, unfortunatly for us.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:53 PM »
I'm not totally convinced that there are no dates fixed. Even if band comes in in fall/winter the dates must have been organised. I'm still hoping that the band meets around 10th march til first week of April. We will see...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
I'm not totally convinced that there are no dates fixed. Even if band comes in in fall/winter the dates must have been organised. I'm still hoping that the band meets around 10th march til first week of April. We will see...

Presuming that John & Mike are to be on board again, John's tour with Mike and John Doyle will be ending on 8th March and resuming on 9th April with Heidi Talbot, so that would fit OK, just so long as the rest of the band are free too! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
That implies that Guy lied to me with his answer, because if the band was called, he could say "yes, but I can

foma

« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
Good point jbaent! That's why I tend to plan anythyng only when I know exactly when things will be. I know many people already planned the whole 2015 for MK tour without any trace of official information, so I think they are all crazy.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Sure we are crazy. I don't plan anything for 2015 till I know what's going to happen with MK. Then everything will be scheduled around the tour (I think we still have a good chance it will take place).

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
dude, a 3cd? i would soooooooooooo buy it. this discussion went on elsewhere, and i stick to my opinion, the more the merrier. i'd rather have 10 bad songs more then miss out on one new Long Highway (did this on purpose, for my good friend dmg)

I want a 4track release

telegraph tunnel planet sultans from on the night

I can pay any sum

And you can add, Why Worry,Portobello Belle, Fade to Black, So far away &The Long Highway from 1991, I Think I Love You Too Much & Setting me Up from 1992 US Tour, Iron Hand from Paris 1992.

Then a bonus CD with alternate live version of R&J, Heavy Fuel, YourLatest Trick form the 1991 leg, full uncut version of MFN and WOL (although only for completist collection for the latter one) and new mixe of "OES" with a greater sound difference during the "middle quiet sequence".
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
Sure we are crazy. I don't plan anything for 2015 till I know what's going to happen with MK. Then everything will be scheduled around the tour (I think we still have a good chance it will take place).

I wish you are right, but if MK sticks to his routine, and release in september of this year, its needed that the musicians are booked already, as they are very busy musicians. Unless MK decided to go on improvisation, and call whatever the musician is available instead the ones he wants.

Other chance is that they are booked to come and play at the end of the year, and they release the cd in spring 2015 (like with GH and ATRR) and go on tour one or two months later, which seems unlikely to me.

Unless you have other information, in which case, contact me in private, please  ;D

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Mark has extensively worked the last couple of years so let give him some time to breath. 2015 would have been logical but 2016 would not be that long (Gilmour fan have to wait way longer between solo tour  ;D)

Now that Mark is his own boss, nobody to tell him "call the band, take your favourite guitar, put your amp on and play and record your bloody songs like if your were performing them in a small sweaty London club. Do it five day a week for two weeks, then select the best takes, mix them in three days and put that fuckin' record out and go on the road with it".

Instead this is more of "which of my 200 Martins&Co will sounds best on that song for these next two chords? Guy come on we will have a long experimenting day today!"

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
Mark has extensively worked the last couple of years so let give him some time to breath. 2015 would have been logical but 2016 would not be that long (Gilmour fan have to wait way longer between solo tour  ;D)

Now that Mark is his own boss, nobody to tell him "call the band, take your favourite guitar, put your amp on and play and record your bloody songs like if your were performing them in a small sweaty London club. Do it five day a week for two weeks, then select the best takes, mix them in three days and put that fuckin' record out and go on the road with it".

Instead this is more of "which of my 200 Martins&Co will sounds best on that song for these next two chords? Guy come on we will have a long experimenting day today!"

Good summary of the situation.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 41 queries.