Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY  (Read 168956 times)

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
Re: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY
« Reply #450 on: June 14, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Glenn became old...
Always is in the sidelines. Such a wise and good-natured person with radiant eyes. Love him.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #451 on: June 15, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
A new and more interesting update is out :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
Ruth Moody again :)

And it seems they have quite a lot of songs ready now?

Still some questions... Will there be another band session for more songs? Or is it waiting for some overdubs, then mixing and releasing?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Nigel Hitchcock was there too...

I understand they are comping, recording overdubs and at the same time recording more songs, so I guess this is far for being ready to release.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #454 on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
Nigel Hitchcock was there too...

I understand they are comping, recording overdubs and at the same time recording more songs, so I guess this is far for being ready to release.

Is there a difference between comping and mixing?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

LoveExpresso

« Reply #455 on: June 15, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
I would say comping means choosing the best results from different and many recordings - takes - and taking the best ones. For example Mark can sing his vocal part several times and the final choice then is built, combined, - or comped - from these recordings... (I remember some discussion some years ago that you could clearly hear on the the track "The Ragpicker's Dream" where the different vocal parts were ... I listened a dozen times but was not able to make out where the differences were..  ;D) So different guitar parts, different drum parts and so on, listening to them in a row the whole day (which is what they did obviously on the famous Ragpicker diary picture on the London roof in the sun, you remember) - taking final decisions, discussing...

mixing then is purely a question of mixing the final tracks together, volume, fades, dynamics and stuff.

Any better explanations welcome!  :wave

LE

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
Anybody know about Mr Molsky's guitar work? I've never heard him, nor of him.  After so many years of the trusty Dick Bennett in the line up, I cannot picture a new face on Mark's left side. Ianto replacing DC didn't seem to bother me as much as this one does. Maybe we're just creatures of habit and got too used to seeing "one big family" on the stage...I sure hope Dick is back soon.
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

LoveExpresso

« Reply #457 on: June 15, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Mr. Molsky playing on the album does not automatically mean him playing in the live band, too. Remember Richard was also not playing on Kill To Get Crimson but was in the band later nevertheless. Although I find it strange also not to see Richard in the band, after all those years...

Sometimes it could come from the Musician himself. We all think MK is the big Muso boss. But it is also quite exhausting to do these tours with him. Maybe Richard just said "leave me out the next time please, I need some time to refresh" The same with Danny, maybe he even recommended Ian as the best drummer of the UK...

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #458 on: June 15, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
I hope that Richard will be part of the tour / or other recording sessions. And this answer on Guy's forum gives hope. Seems that Mark is doing the most guitar related stuff. It's not a replacement of Richard. I guess that Mr Molsky is more into fiddle and banjo.

Q: Richard Bennett is not in the pics, and his blogs writes about other recordings at the moment. Who is the new guitar player?    
A: A guy called Mark

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
A Chris Whitten quote from other thread posted by Dusty comes to mind, when Whitten said Paul Franklin was very worried about all the recording sessions he was missing while touring with Dire Straits...

Obviously Mk tours are not so demanding, but its also several months of missing recording sessions for all the American musicians, specially Richard Bennett. Maybe he was just busy to take some time recording in London, maybe Mk decided to record all guitars by himself again (as with Ktgc), but I'd say Richard will be back on tour, as its planned such in advance that he can schedule all his Nashville sessions and not miss too much work.

Offlinesailtekxo

• Guitar George
« Reply #460 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
It's also interesting that Jim isn't there -- so Guy must be playing all the keyboard parts by himself. Just another similarity to KTGC, isn't it?

surferboy

« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
Guy didn't give away any info on why there was only one band session of just one week given that they started work on the new album back in September. For me the absence of Jim is a far bigger question than the absence of Richard since Mark repeatedly praised Jim while one tour: "always new all the time". The whole new album project is still one big mystery to me and things have not been any clearer after the second diary entry.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
That's right, we have only a few informations what's going on all the time.
But I'm now 100% convinced that it's not hard rock or metal, rap, hip hop and house  ;D

@wayaman: the '92 tour was something else, nowadays we're talking about a few months and Richard has already done it severall times. So i doubt that missing recording sessions is the reason... We'll see. Curious!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
Yes, I'm confined now that this album is going to be 100% celtic songs with zero guitar or vocals from our man.  Just "fiddle-dee-dee" celtic music.  Maybe the first Knopfler record I won't buy.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »
Maybe the first Knopfler record I won't buy.

dmg, do you take a bet on this?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 45 queries.