Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why did Mark Knopfler ruin these songs on the last tour?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline12345

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Why did Mark Knopfler ruin these songs on the last tour?
« on: October 27, 2023, 11:03:00 AM »
I always wondered why Mark added the trumpets on Money For Nothing and Once Upon A Time In The West on the last tour, because imo they ruined the songs. Also the Les Paul really didn't fit on Once Upon A Time In The West, so why did he add that in? IMO it completely watered down Once Upon A Time In The West.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 01:22:14 PM by 12345 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Why did Mark Knopfler change these songs so much on the last tour?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
I always wondered why Mark added the trumpets on Money For Nothing and Once Upon A Time In The West on the last tour, because imo they ruined the songs. Also the Les Paul really didn't fit on Once Upon A Time In The West, so why did he add that in? IMO this completely watered down the songs, especially Once Upon A Time In The West.

Why is a good question. Mark said rehearsals are his favourite part about playing live, that means trying new arrangements, new songs, etc. This is funny considering Mark is notorious for having a static setlist, but it doesn't mean he's not trying, and your example is a good indication of that.

It could be the same songs, but he's got new players in his band, so why not try? I know everybody universally seems to hate the brass section, but I love it. I also loved the seemingly overused pedal steel guitar on the On Evey Street tour and the new "Telegraph Road".

Also, keep in mind Mark throughout his life was against purists and never intended to stay away from experimentation. One of his favourite lines is "I would put a concrete mixer on a record if I thought that it was go­ing to help it."

So overall, Mark's setlist and arrangements boil down to the set of musicians he's got on hand, his ability and/or willingness to perform songs because he can't do any of them especially as he got older, and the audience who wants to hear some of the classics.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:57:18 AM »
he always tried new arrangements every tour since the OL tour in 80-81

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
I also think that the layers of instruments in some songs were meant to hide some inconsistancies in MK's playing
He was not as sharp as he used to be
The use of the Gibson and a thick sound also made the sound less precise and the occasional mistakes less noticeable on some songs

Or let's say the many instruments lightened his task and relieved him of lead duties to some extend
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 12:20:36 PM by Pierre »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Why did Mark Knopfler ruin these songs on the last tour?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 05:04:29 PM »
I agree about the brass section being a bit of place on MFN and GH.
But it was soooo cool in the new WAM intro !
Even in SAN, I think it was a great addition.
As for OUATITW, yes it was a bit mellow, but it was so unexpected to hear it for the first time since 1983 that I can forgive that!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 11:01:36 AM »
I  thought that the brass was used appropriately in OUTITW given its original Morricone flavoured influences....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 05:31:02 PM »
I also think that the layers of instruments in some songs were meant to hide some inconsistancies in MK's playing
He was not as sharp as he used to be
The use of the Gibson and a thick sound also made the sound less precise and the occasional mistakes less noticeable on some songs

Or let's say the many instruments lightened his task and relieved him of lead duties to some extend

This exactly.  The brass wasn't there to add texture or make different arrangements whatsoever.  The outros of songs like WAM and OUATITW are good examples of this as Mark only had very short pieces to play before handing over to another player.  In 2008 versions of WAM he was playing good solos in that song with no assistance.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »
As people said above, he used it to camouflage his inability to play guitar like in the past.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 01:58:51 AM »
As people said above, he used it to camouflage his inability to play guitar like in the past.

That's a very negative way to look at it. Surely he was trying to make the music as good as possible with what was available? If he'd done the opposite some on here would be moaning about the rough playing instead....

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 07:30:59 AM »

That's a very negative way to look at it. Surely he was trying to make the music as good as possible with what was available? If he'd done the opposite some on here would be moaning about the rough playing instead....
It might be negative, but it's still the truth.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »

It might be negative, but it's still the truth.

Your truth.

To my known Mark never acknowledged that he used  the horn section in purpose to hide his weakness playing.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
I never thought about it that way. I just enjoy the music.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 04:08:43 PM »

Exactly.

Even if this were true it would still be in pursuit of the best possible musical experience that Mark and co could produce given what was available.

A question or choice to those putting this point of view forward. What do you want, poor substandard guitar playing or a passionate performance by and artist trying to make the concert experience as good as possible?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 04:30:17 PM »

Exactly.

Even if this were true it would still be in pursuit of the best possible musical experience that Mark and co could produce given what was available.

A question or choice to those putting this point of view forward. What do you want, poor substandard guitar playing or a passionate performance by and artist trying to make the concert experience as good as possible?
Nobody said anything about that. You are the one seeing it from that perspective. Mark used the additional instruments to disguise his guitar playing, yes. That isn't something inherently negative. Did it always work well, like in Postcards from Paraguay? No, but it was a smart and natural decision in order to play the best show possible.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
MFN and SAN still featured some good guitar skills.
WAM was great with the brass intro.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.