Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Get Lucky" - Track by track  (Read 67142 times)

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: "Get Lucky" - Track by track
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »
"It's about a young person's desire to follow his compulsion" - from the liner notes.

That's exactly what I meant. This song has a similar message to Let It All Go. To me anyway.
And what made you think I did not get the album?  ;)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Love Expresso

« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »
Oh, I just thought you asked about the intension of the song, which you wouldn

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »
This has the makings of another good album however I have noticed (after only playing it 3 times) some remarkable similarities with songs from KTGC and previous MK material. These are just observations and it is probably because I have played KTGC (one of my fav's) to death almost.

Border Riever - has an intro that reminds me of the live version intros for R+J.

Hard Shoulder - to me is very similar to The Scaffolders Wife

You Cant Beat The House - very NHB ish

Before Gas & Tv - The intro is like the theme from Local hero - very similar notes and then, to me, it sounds too much like The Fish and the Bird.

Monteleone - has an intro like something from last Exit and then becomes Heart Full of Holes - listen to the melody at 1minute 32 in. I can't differentiate it from HFOH.

The Car Was The One - this is very much like Fizzy And The Still.

So Far From the Clyde - Madame Genievas to me.

Please don't think I am knocking the album but like I said - there are some remarkable similarities that I can't help but hear when I play it.

funny! I heard a lot of similarities too, but not the same ones! I don't have them all in mind, but Get lucky: my claim to fame and another one (can't remember which one though) reminded me of Pyroman.Next time I'll listen I'll take notes!

I guess we all know Mark in our own little ways and can tease out similarities that no one else hears. This isn't a fault but an example of how diverse we all are and how he reaches out to us in different ways.

Does So Far From The Clyde remind anyone of Single Handed Sailor?

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2009, 01:32:13 AM »
I guess MK is at a certain place in his melody making.   In art and music, the artists go through a 'period' or 'theme' where the work seems to have a connection, a commonality among the individual pieces.    If you look at a sculptor's or painter's body of work encompassing a short span of dates, you'll see the similarities.       I think that anytime a singer/songwriter, symphony composer etc and etc and etc create something, the work before and the work after are going to be closely related.    When I listen to music by other artists, the individual pieces seem alike to me also.      To stretch it much further, when one is not familiar with a genre, like country or 80s pop, it all sounds the same to him.   Only when the music is heard again and again do the individualities appear.   
So, I don't know what that spiel of mine above has to do with anything, since we all listen to MK a lot!      ;D
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »
Oh, I just thought you asked about the intension of the song, which you wouldn
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
I guess MK is at a certain place in his melody making.   In art and music, the artists go through a 'period' or 'theme' where the work seems to have a connection, a commonality among the individual pieces.    If you look at a sculptor's or painter's body of work encompassing a short span of dates, you'll see the similarities.       I think that anytime a singer/songwriter, symphony composer etc and etc and etc create something, the work before and the work after are going to be closely related.    When I listen to music by other artists, the individual pieces seem alike to me also.      To stretch it much further, when one is not familiar with a genre, like country or 80s pop, it all sounds the same to him.   Only when the music is heard again and again do the individualities appear.   
So, I don't know what that spiel of mine above has to do with anything, since we all listen to MK a lot!      ;D

Thanks Marie - for putting into words exactly what I have been trying to say to family and friends about my love of Mark's music. As fans, we get a lot more out of it. We hear things in a different way and it appeals to a deeper part of our soul than the casual listener. I also have theory that some of his music appeals to a lot of people with sensitive caring personalities.  :)

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
Get the album and read the liner notes. There Mark tells us what the song is about.  ;D

LE

Remember that MK intentionally makes songs with double or tripple or fripple meanings (I dont think Old Pigweed is about cooking, for instance, even though he's told that the idea came when he started making stews and such after having invested in some cook books).

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2009, 02:24:57 AM »
Exactly, and that's what makes him such a great songwriter. He's able to tell a story in a very short form (a song)
and make it such way that very often there are more than just one obvious meaning.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
Because of the death of my mother-in-law Sunday September 13th, I didn
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:36 PM »
Fieneke, You mentioned that "Monteleone" reminded you of Mantovani.  When I was about 11 years old Mantovani was my hero.  Yes, I know that sounds strange for someone of 11 years, but I loved his music and in particular a melody called "The Lonely Ballerina". My best friend requested it for me on the radio and also bought me the record for my 12th birthday.  My friend died a few years ago, but I still have the record, although I cannot play it, because I don't have the right sort of player!    Your mentioning Mantovani, brought back some memories!   :)  I am glad you are enjoying Mark's beautiful album!  :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
I was young too when when I got the album from my sister. She didn't like the music anymore and after paying a little amount I could have it!  ;D The music is beautiful and quiet, so I often listened while I was studying in the evening. 

Yeahhh I really love Get Lucky! It's calm and relaxed music I can use when I am tired after a stressful day at work! ;)
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
I love you guys!!! ;D
arse ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 37 queries.