Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Get Lucky" - Track by track  (Read 68752 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: "Get Lucky" - Track by track
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
 :) ;) Interesting way that Mark has presented the album as a complete set of songs with no fade outs on the first 10 tracks (like K2GC) but PTTE concludes the whole album with a fade out.....Nice touch I thought. ;)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »
Hi everyone

For your curiosity, Fieneke, I'm French!

Now, I've listened to GL a few more times and I like it more and more.
I woke up this morning with So Far From the Clyde in my head....
I really love the guitar parts of You Can't Beat The House !
Remembrance Day and Get Lucky are very melodic, just beautiful...
I still don't really like Monteleone and Hard Shoulder who seems a little too slow...
For me, since the first DS album untill now, there are only 3 MK songs that I finally don't like : Heavy Fuel, No Can Do, Coyote.

Fred
man, two of those i really like, especially No Can Do
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »
:) ;) Interesting way that Mark has presented the album as a complete set of songs with no fade outs on the first 10 tracks (like K2GC) but PTTE concludes the whole album with a fade out.....Nice touch I thought. ;)

Yes, but the fade-out is badly done, i think. Just my opinion...

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2009, 12:49:03 AM »
Love it! Love it! No skipper for me, quite interesting because KTGC had to grow but GL is love at first sight! (too many exclamation marks!)
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
This has the makings of another good album however I have noticed (after only playing it 3 times) some remarkable similarities with songs from KTGC and previous MK material. These are just observations and it is probably because I have played KTGC (one of my fav's) to death almost.

Border Riever - has an intro that reminds me of the live version intros for R+J.

Hard Shoulder - to me is very similar to The Scaffolders Wife

You Cant Beat The House - very NHB ish

Before Gas & Tv - The intro is like the theme from Local hero - very similar notes and then, to me, it sounds too much like The Fish and the Bird.

Monteleone - has an intro like something from last Exit and then becomes Heart Full of Holes - listen to the melody at 1minute 32 in. I can't differentiate it from HFOH.

The Car Was The One - this is very much like Fizzy And The Still.

So Far From the Clyde - Madame Genievas to me.

Please don't think I am knocking the album but like I said - there are some remarkable similarities that I can't help but hear when I play it.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2009, 06:00:17 AM »
I think these similarities are inevitable when you have such a rich back catalouge. When you think about it Lady Writer is similar to Sultans, Private Dancer has some very similar lines to Love Over Gold, What's the matter baby is again very similar to Sultans. We could probably find many similarities like that across MK's songbook. I consider them as a kind of an artist trademark rather than lack of ideas. I even think that the more he writes the more similarities we'll find. But it doesn't really bother me that much as long as he is able to touch me with his music. And so far he's been successful :)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Love Expresso

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2009, 10:28:22 AM »
Yes it struck me from the very first listening:
Piper to the End has an playing-out that could have come from "Going Home", at least it has the same feel and spirit. Hope they do it live. And while I still can

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Intro of Piper to the end is almost the same as Wild Mountain Theme from A shot at glory ;)

But i's beautiful and i love this album! :D
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
Yes it struck me from the very first listening:
Piper to the End has an playing-out that could have come from "Going Home", at least it has the same feel and spirit. Hope they do it live. And while I still can
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »
Monteleone is one of my favourites too!    It's a great album and even though I like all of the songs, there are some I like less than others, that one for me is "You Can't Beat the House", because I don't like the vocals much.  The song is OK though and I love the guitar!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
Remembrance day brought tears to my eyes earlier today! The voices of the kids and the guitar, plus thinking about all the people who die at war (all wars, not just that one), I shed a tear or two. And before you ask, yes, I was sober  ;D

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
This has the makings of another good album however I have noticed (after only playing it 3 times) some remarkable similarities with songs from KTGC and previous MK material. These are just observations and it is probably because I have played KTGC (one of my fav's) to death almost.

Border Riever - has an intro that reminds me of the live version intros for R+J.

Before Gas & Tv - The intro is like the theme from Local hero - very similar notes and then, to me, it sounds too much like The Fish and the Bird.

Monteleone - has an intro like something from last Exit and then becomes Heart Full of Holes - listen to the melody at 1minute 32 in. I can't differentiate it from HFOH.

Please don't think I am knocking the album but like I said - there are some remarkable similarities that I can't help but hear when I play it.

I too have listened about 3-4 times, and i couldn't agree more on ALL counts in regards to the similarities. ;)

Have to say, this sure is another amazing album. No skippers at all. ;D

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Rollergirl

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »

funny! I heard a lot of similarities too, but not the same ones! I don't have them all in mind, but Get lucky: my claim to fame and another one (can't remember which one though) reminded me of Pyroman.Next time I'll listen I'll take notes!

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Well it would be strange if these songs were not similar to anything else from the past, wouldn't it? They were written by the same genious mind! :)
Still it would be a funny place if we all liked the same things.  I think The Car Was the One is a weak track because the lyrics and music don't seem a great marriage in my opinion and it starts very much in the vein of The Fizzy and the Still.  Still, it's a great album and finishes especially strongly with the last four songs being stand outs.
Agreed! Except for The Car Was The One - I really like this track. I think it has a great atmosphere and strings really took this song to another level. This is the only track on the album that has a National on it, or am I wrong?
I think this song isn't only about the guy who desperately wanted a Cobra ;) but about anybody who really wants something badly in life (like Mark wanted his first guitar so desperately or later, how he wanted to be successful). Great little story, and music suits there just fine imo. 
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Love Expresso

« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
Get the album and read the liner notes. There Mark tells us what the song is about.  ;D

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 49 queries.