Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (06) Good on you Son  (Read 113270 times)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: Single: Good on you Son
« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
So, Interpretations? What's it about? What does it say? A guy from the UK sits in LA now having a healthy breakfast. So what?

LE

We know that Mark often hides a very personal deeper meaning behind a song's obivous superficial story told in the foreground.
Broken Bones is not just another song about boxing or Sonny Liston but about his personal attitude/approach at getting older.
Sometimes it can take years to get to that real meaning, sometimes we don't get there at all.
So patience is required.
It for sure is not just a simple song about a guy, maybe Robert Day, leaving for the sunshine state to make his way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:14:19 AM by Skydiver »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
I love the part around 3'22 where the guitar leads into the sax - wonderful!    :)

Totally agree Val... I'm not normally keen on Sax but I'm convinced this really works for this track...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #332 on: September 20, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
So, Interpretations? What's it about? What does it say? A guy from the UK sits in LA now having a healthy breakfast. So what?

LE

We know that Mark often hides a very personal deeper meaning behind a song's obivous superficial story told in the foreground.
For instance Broken Bones is not just another (third) song about boxing or Sonny Liston but about his personal attitude/approach at getting older).
Sometimes it can take years to get to that real meaning, sometimes we don't get there at all.
So patience is required.
It for sure is not just a simple song about a guy leaving for the sunshine state to make his way.

Thank you.
At the moment I still work out the story in the foreground. So it is HIS store... (he grinds a coffee by HIMSELF) and the LA Times lying around. Right?

The Sax part could literally be just putting on the music System when opened in the morning.

And the hunter's gleam in his eye shows that he is here at this place because he had the WILL of exactly having this.

Does Cockney Rebel has any other meaning than the band's name? As he listens to the rhythm of A
cockney rebel..

LE
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:20:46 AM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #333 on: September 20, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
We have already discussed at length whom the person might be.

Ok. Sorry for being late.
I refer from thinking that it is about a concrete person in the meantime. More about a special type of person inspired by a man MK maybe met in a diner in LA and wondered about his cockney slang which made him going get the idea of this man being in an obviously wrong surrounding.

LE

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »

LE

For instance Broken Bones is not just another (third) song about boxing or Sonny Liston but about his personal attitude/approach at getting older).
So patience is required.
It for sure is not just a simple song about a guy leaving for the sunshine state to make his way.

Thank you.
At the moment I still work out the story im the foreground. So it is HIS store... (he grinds a coffee by HIMSELF) and the LA Times lying around. Right?

The Sax part could literally be just putting on the music System when opened in the morning.

And the hunter's gleam in his eye shows that he is here at this place because he had the WILL of exactly having this.

Does Cockney Rebel has any other meaning than the band's name? As he listens to the rhythm of A
cockney rebel..

LE

One significance/implication to dig into is the cockney rebel and the Camden shuffle.
Is there a conncection with the song's rythm?
Is there maybe even a slight connection to the glam-rock band Steve Harley & the Cockney Rebel of the 70s.
If so is there a connection to the person in the song (if it is RD) or his attitude in life?
And above all what interests or fasciantes MK in this, what can he personally relate to on a deeper level than just being a man of those times or of humble origins himself.
It is of course very early in the process of deciphering the track and one certainly can be totally wrong with these first approaches.
So much more work is to be done if Mark doesn't solve the puzzle in one of the upcoming interviews.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:31:50 AM by Skydiver »

hunter

« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Or does "Camden shuffle" refer to a boxer's shuffle? "The old one-two" is a punching technique.

Love Expresso

« Reply #336 on: September 20, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
Your last sentence to me is the easiest one: how did he end up here, coming from "Blighty", more to be expected to work in a London Pub maybe?  Which road did his life take? Down the road wherever?
Wow, son, you made it, coming a long way from the backie and the beer to have a diner in sunny California? Good on you son!

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #337 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
This is one of my favourite moments... when new songs come out and LE starts digging about their meaning... many times it makes the song to be better when you understand it!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #338 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Possible lyric correction: Should

"He grinds fresh coffee for himself he’s beaten our producer" be

"He grinds fresh coffee for himself he’s meeting a producer"?

hunter

« Reply #339 on: September 20, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Wow, son, you made it, coming a long way from the backie and the beer to have a diner in sunny California? Good on you son!

I don't think he is in a restaurant; rather that he's at home, and that the lemon tree is in his garden. He has a home overlooking LA.

Love Expresso

« Reply #340 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
This is one of my favourite moments... when new songs come out and LE starts digging about their meaning... many times it makes the song to be better when you understand it!

Haha ... it's pure desperation, to be lost in translation!   :lol

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »

I don't think he is in a restaurant; rather that he's at home, and that the lemon tree is in his garden. He has a home overlooking LA.

Together with "meeting" a producer it would make much more sence indeed. So actor or Musician.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

Together with "meeting" a producer it would make much more sence indeed. So actor or Musician.

LE

Thats why I thought about Simon Cowell...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #343 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
MK has indeed "visited" certain characters more often, forming sorts of song "trilogies"..

LE
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:01:57 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #344 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
It’s been a while, being too busy to catch up with even the latest MK news but hey, never too late to show up I hope? Just got the mail from MK.com and also found Good on you on itunes. Right now it’s playing on my bose for the first time, yes I like it!
Welcome back

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

It’s been a while, being too busy to catch up with even the latest MK news but hey, never too late to show up I hope? :lol Just got the mail from MK.com and also found Good on you on itunes. Right now it’s playing on my bose for the first time, yes I like it!

Jeffrey!! Welcome back  ;D ;D

Thanks! ;D Felt like a small child this morning, put the new song on repeat and guess what, traffic helped me a bit. Instead of 20 minutes, it took me one hour to drive to work. 8)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 54 queries.